Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

I'm just not keen on piggyback ECUs really, there's too much scope for something to go awry when it's intercepting then modifying a signal.

Again, not something I'd ever attempt myself but I had a K100 ECU on my CTR, which is just a piggy back chip soldered onto the OEM ECU.

Might be a bit more difficult on Toyota's mind :) .

Sounds pretty good, bet you can't wait.

Thanks for asking about the cage. In a perfect world I'd get the full cage but cost is the main issue at ~£1200 fitted. Like you say, it's a cheap bit of fun so not really in the spirit of it.

Won't the rear screen be noisey? Sounds interesting!...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It'll probably be the quietest part of the car...! :lol:

Nah, shouldn't make any difference at all given the stripped nature of the car. I'm leaving the sound deadening in for now, but purely as a protective measure against me hitting my head on exposed metal in an accident.

It doesn't work very well with my engine, there's a bit too much det for my taste. With things like these you should always remap for the individual engine IMHO, it's not like a generic map for an NA car with an air filter and exhaust that you can pretty much get away with swapping as long as the original tuner was competent, too much scope for things to go wrong on FI.

Can't wait to get her back now :)

Not yet, but will definitely get something to tide me over until the next long term car arrives. I'm thinking about an EP3 CTR at the moment, haven't had a V-TEC engine yet so would be nice to tick the box :)

Mine is running on a Unichip Q with a couple of extra doohickeys to control bits: If I'm honest, I've no idea what they are! :lol: I'll ask tonight when I pick it up, as I had the phonecall and it's all ready :yahoo:

Got to say the pick of the bunch is the DC2 Integra Type R, I have had them all an although the K20 cars are awesome there is something about the DC2. One of our technicians who was a big RWD fan and though FWd was the work of the devil was blown away with how a DC2 handled and changed his tune after that :)

Nothing wrong with any of the VTEC engines, iVTEC in the K20 does make the crossover smoother and gives better everyday economy but like i said, all being considered and for the cost that you can pick early EP3's up at now, I'd still recommend the K20'd cars first.

That's just my opinion though.

Great stuff, what power and torque did it make?

Nippy run around CTR is a good choice, but when I "downsized" from a nice car (M3) I went for a diesel; 123d in my case, if your going to go sensible for a while, you might as well make the most of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great stuff, what power and torque did it make?

Nippy run around CTR is a good choice, but when I "downsized" from a nice car (M3) I went for a diesel; 123d in my case, if your going to go sensible for a while, you might as well make the most of it!

No idea on figures yet, I deliberately left without getting the dyno sheet as I wanted to see if I could guess what it is by feel alone, before I get the proper numbers. Sounds daft, I know.

And a CTR is my idea of sensible! :lol:

@Brillo: Might well see if I can make it closer to the time :)

DC5 would be amazing, S2K my preferred choice, but budget dictates the Civic :lol:

Anyway, MR2 is back. Erm, it's a bit poky in lower gears, to put it mildly...!

Just been reading some of this Dan ~ hope we get to see a video of this thing on track at some point. ;)

Anyway reason I posted ~ used to own a 2003 EP3 Civic Type R and have to say it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. Handled well thanks in part to it's independent rear suspension & VTEC is a superb bit of engineering. I highly recommend you try one especially as the prices of the EP3's nowadays is just ridiculously cheap imo for what you get.

Can show up a lot of newer similar type FWD cars.

If you do get one I'd say a must do mod just to make it that little bit better is a Gruppe M induction kit. The sound alone when it crosses over in to VTEC is worth every penny. I had the genuine Gruppe M but Tegiwa also make a copy version which if you're not bothered about it being a copy does pretty much the same thing for half the cost. :thumbs:

DC5 would be amazing, S2K my preferred choice, but budget dictates the Civic :lol:

Anyway, MR2 is back. Erm, it's a bit poky in lower gears, to put it mildly...!

Just been reading some of this Dan ~ hope we get to see a video of this thing on track at some point. ;)

Anyway reason I posted ~ used to own a 2003 EP3 Civic Type R and have to say it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. Handled well thanks in part to it's independent rear suspension & VTEC is a superb bit of engineering. I highly recommend you try one especially as the prices of the EP3's nowadays is just ridiculously cheap imo for what you get.

Can show up a lot of newer similar type FWD cars.

If you do get one I'd say a must do mod just to make it that little bit better is a Gruppe M induction kit. The sound alone when it crosses over in to VTEC is worth every penny. I had the genuine Gruppe M but Tegiwa also make a copy version which if you're not bothered about it being a copy does pretty much the same thing for half the cost. :thumbs:

Agree with that! Had a Gruppe M on my M3 ; it made an awesome sound and everyone appreciates a well made piece of kit.

I can't believe how cheap CTRs are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...