Plans for the winter?

nowhereboy

It's just a car. Drive to the conditions as always and you'll be fine.

mmmmm no.

Last winter I had RE040's on the rear (yes, not the best tyre, but they're black, round and expensive, therefore the same as every other tyre in this logic) and I couldn't even pull away with NO throttle at all, just slowly letting out the clutch caused wheel spin and then T/C kicked in. And I live on an estate with probably 1000 people, fairly populated area.

Bought some winter tyres and all was well. Snow went the very next day but hey-ho, they're sat in the garage waiting for average temps to drop lower.

From what I understand your supposed to turn "traction control" off for driving in snowy conditions. But I get what you mean, sometimes anything but 4wd is pretty much useless in some snowy/icy conditions especially a powerful rear wheel drive car.

My old Audi a3 with a big heavy diesel lump over the front wheels was soooo bad in snow that I had to get winter tyres on it. Made the difference from not being able to get home to my house in the city to having the confidence to drive up to glenshee to catch some epic snow conditions!

• Like 1

mmmmm no.

Last winter I had RE040's on the rear (yes, not the best tyre, but they're black, round and expensive, therefore the same as every other tyre in this logic) and I couldn't even pull away with NO throttle at all, just slowly letting out the clutch caused wheel spin and then T/C kicked in. And I live on an estate with probably 1000 people, fairly populated area.

Bought some winter tyres and all was well. Snow went the very next day but hey-ho, they're sat in the garage waiting for average temps to drop lower.

But that's what I mean when I say driving to the conditions. At that point, there was clearly too much snow or ice on the ground to enable the safe operation of the car, and you shouldn't have been driving it. Winter tyres help, no doubt, but they're no substitute for common sense. No offense meant!

If you live in an area where there's lots of snow often, then a cheapy FWD or 4x4 shed is the way to go. If you live in the south where we only get a few bad days here or there, just leave the car at home.

considering we only have about a 2 week period (all added up) where there is snow it seems a great expense and waste of time and resources buying either a replacement winter car or doing winter tyres. unless you live up in the highlands. most main roads are salted and cleared anyway, so the only thing you have to do is get out of your road. I've driven all my performance cars through the winter. always on summer tyres. and even done one winter with re040's with about 2 mm of tread left. drive the car to the conditions and use the right driving techniques the car is fine. so if you have a manual, pull away in 2nd and third, don't use 1st. use the clutch to rock and roll the vehicle to start moving gently. don't use the brakes use the slowing power of the gear box and change down a gear. leave lots of brake distance. small steady steering inputs. and keep the speed relevant to the conditions. I was quiet happily making progress last year when colleagues off the same estate were rining in saying they were stuck with their fwd cars. yes there are times where there is too much snow in which case don't drive.i think I need a push twice in 4 years and that was just to get moving out of the car park. great thing about autos is you can put it in drive, get out and push your own car :lol:

• Like 1

mmmmm no.

But that's what I mean when I say driving to the conditions. At that point, there was clearly too much snow or ice on the ground to enable the safe operation of the car, and you shouldn't have been driving it. Winter tyres help, no doubt, but they're no substitute for common sense. No offense meant!

If you live in an area where there's lots of snow often, then a cheapy FWD or 4x4 shed is the way to go. If you live in the south where we only get a few bad days here or there, just leave the car at home.

TBH, I see your point now. I know Bulletmagnet uses his zed all year round, swaps to winter tyres (maybe wheels) when its cold enough and he's said before at the amount of range rovers etc he just drives by whilst they're driving on standard tyres.

The winter tyres will last years. I have them on the car normally by now, until march/april time, then swap them back again. Barely took the paint on the treds off them last year before they came off again and were stored in the garage.

I think where we live at least a winter car is a little OTT, but winter tyres is just good preparation.

Do people really turn TC off in the snow?? I can understand (and fully appreciate) how it may cause issues with getting away sometimes, but surely its a good thing to have enabled when driving on a slippy surface, does disabling it also disable the ESP, id definitely want that to stay on as it helps when breaking on slippery surfaces.

I bought an old y reg micra for the winter commute as it cost next to nothing to buy insure and kit with winter tyres, in my opinion it was only going to take one idiot in the bad conditions to cause a whole world of hassle, plus I like to tinker with the zed in winter and it is nice for it to be warm and dry whenever I go to it.

TBH, I see your point now. I know Bulletmagnet uses his zed all year round, swaps to winter tyres (maybe wheels) when its cold enough and he's said before at the amount of range rovers etc he just drives by whilst they're driving on standard tyres.

The winter tyres will last years. I have them on the car normally by now, until march/april time, then swap them back again. Barely took the paint on the treds off them last year before they came off again and were stored in the garage.

I think where we live at least a winter car is a little OTT, but winter tyres is just good preparation.

Do people really turn TC off in the snow?? I can understand (and fully appreciate) how it may cause issues with getting away sometimes, but surely its a good thing to have enabled when driving on a slippy surface, does disabling it also disable the ESP, id definitely want that to stay on as it helps when breaking on slippery surfaces.

Basically it is a beneficial thing to have turned on but if your having trouble setting off in the snow as you described in your earlier post then you really should have turned it off. Once you get going in the snow/ice though it is best that you turn it back on, as you mentioned on slippery surfaces it can help you from slipping off the road and in to a ditch. :lol::thumbs:

Basically it is a beneficial thing to have turned on but if your having trouble setting off in the snow as you described in your earlier post then you really should have turned it off. Once you get going in the snow/ice though it is best that you turn it back on, as you mentioned on slippery surfaces it can help you from slipping off the road and in to a ditch. :lol::thumbs:

No turn it off. Lets say you need power to do something and the traction control kicks in. Not good at all. It won't stop you slipping off into a ditch only if your ham fisting it. Plus the Z's tcs/vds isnt great. ABS in ice and snow is lethal too.

You bought a sports car, spend thousands on mods, spend thousands on fuel and insurance and you wouldn't spend a little extra for your safety in winter? In my opinion if you want to use it during winter you just buy a set of winter tyres, period. Winter tyres will last many years and will make a significant difference in low temp and snow. Even if there is no snow, in low temp summer tyres will not perform well.

In slippery conditions or fresh snow you have no chance to get away with TC on and 1st gear in a 300 bhp rear wheel car... With the TC off the LSD should also help a little by not allowing one wheel to spin while the other stands still.

You bought a sports car, spend thousands on mods, spend thousands on fuel and insurance and you wouldn't spend a little extra for your safety in winter? In my opinion if you want to use it during winter you just buy a set of winter tyres, period. Winter tyres will last many years and will make a significant difference in low temp and snow. Even if there is no snow, in low temp summer tyres will not perform well.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

h getting a sensible scooby for winter,

That's what I did! WRX estate, got carried away and now have a set of winter wheels and tyres, EPIC in the snow :teeth:

Smuggest guy around when the skies fall! But i'm up North in Aberdeen...

I drove the 350 for 2 winters before I picked up the WRX, and it was just a hassle, I was getting stuck in the city centre if if it snowed whilst I was parked for more than 10min. Do-able, but not fun, well, unless there's a big empty to space to give it the beans ;)

As before, depends where you live and if you really NEED to be able to drive all winter. If so, i'd grab some winter tyres, probably cheaper than your insurance excess...

Have fun!

but I'm just putting it out there.

Since you got a gf that's all you bang on about!

Some people think I have a 4x4 or winter tyres therefore I can stop like a hero. No always true. It's all about giving everyone room, anticipation and using the gears to slow down. If your and kicks in the snow or ice you will slide for 1/2 a mile.

• Like 1

No turn it off. Lets say you need power to do something and the traction control kicks in. Not good at all. It won't stop you slipping off into a ditch only if your ham fisting it. Plus the Z's tcs/vds isnt great. ABS in ice and snow is lethal too.

Ok so traction control off in the snow whilst driving a Zed no matter what. I thought it should be off for setting off but then turned on again once your moving but I stand corrected. :thumbs:

What's the winter tyre of choice round here? I've read good stuff on the Alpinas PA4s, Goodyear Ultragrip 8s, Continental Winter Contacts and surprisingly (to me) the Nokian WR A3s.

What I fear in winter isn't so much the crisp snow, it's that slushy, icy build up crap that sometimes appears in patches/pools and leads to a sort of wintery aquaplane.

I just fear getting out of my street more than anything :surrender: , it was a complete nightmare last year and that was in a little fiesta.

You guys must all live down south or something because last year it snowed for a good few weeks solid up here and it's supposed to be even worse this year?

I just fear getting out of my street more than anything :surrender: , it was a complete nightmare last year and that was in a little fiesta.

You guys must all live down south or something because last year it snowed for a good few weeks solid up here and it's supposed to be even worse this year?

I live in South Wales and let me tell you the snow here can be just as bad as up the North of the country. I can't even get out of my drive sometimes let alone the street. Bl**dy hills. :lol:

What's the winter tyre of choice round here? I've read good stuff on the Alpinas PA4s, Goodyear Ultragrip 8s, Continental Winter Contacts and surprisingly (to me) the Nokian WR A3s.

What I fear in winter isn't so much the crisp snow, it's that slushy, icy build up crap that sometimes appears in patches/pools and leads to a sort of wintery aquaplane.

I use Pirelli Sottozero, because I got them cheap and they were best bang for the buck. had Ultragrip 7 and then 8 on previous car and were also good.

The limit last winter was actually the ride height, not slopes and hills :)

If in doubt, leave the car at home. I drove from Sussex to Leeds earlier in the year when we had really bad snow, so much so that the M1 has 1 lane closed. It wasn't that bad until I got to the bottom of my road, some 250 miles later when there was no visible tarmac and the car decided that it didn't want to move. I probably wouldn't have done the journey if it wasn't vital and to be fair there are probably less than 5 days a year where you absolutely couldn't drive the car at all.

Winter tyres are definitely an option, but then I'm not usually worried about my ability to stop or handle in bad conditions, it's usually worrying about people who don't drive any differently from normal when the roads and conditions are bad.