Are black cars invisible??

yankeesiter

Although it isn't the case on this occasion, black cars are indeed difficult to see when the light is poor or fading. Most people these days switch their lights on when its raining but there are always a few that are either ignorant or just too lazy to switch them on. Worse still are those who drive around in twilight without lights when it's much more difficult to judge distances. Worst offenders seem to be black BMW Chelsea tractors driven by women and boy racers. What people don't seem to realize is that lights aren't just to see by but for others to see you....

Pete

Although it isn't the case on this occasion, black cars are indeed difficult to see when the light is poor or fading.

Pete

Anyone who cant see a car in Daylight needs to seriously get their eyesight checked IMO. Full-stop.

In the video above, lighting was fine, the junction was very clear - The driver who pulled out is just a full on dumbass IMO.

Although it isn't the case on this occasion, black cars are indeed difficult to see when the light is poor or fading.

Pete

Anyone who cant see a car in Daylight needs to seriously get their eyesight checked IMO. Full-stop.

In the video above, lighting was fine, the junction was very clear - The driver who pulled out is just a full on dumbass IMO.

You've obviously didn't read my post properly, I clearly stated that in this case poor light wasn't to blame :shrug: . Here's an experiment, next time it's piddling down with rain take a look in your rear view mirror and see how difficult it is to spot a black car without its lights on through the gloom, its really quite striking. Anyway, here's an interesting piece about black cars.

http://www.dailymail...-accidents.html

During daylight hours, they were up to 12 per cent more likely be in crashes than white vehicles, while at dawn and dusk, the figure rose to 47 per cent.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

As it was a BM probably some stupid tart taking the little princess out.

Looks like a citreon to me

It was. And thanks for all your comments, esp. JetSet Pete whose advice about keeping lights on in the daytime I'm going to start following.

Hey where's my credit! :lol: Only joking but seriously I have mine on most of the time. It's just a good way of reducing the risk of not being seen.

I always drive with my dipped headlights on regardless of what time it is or what the weather is like. Even on a bright day, if the sun gets into another drivers eyes their vision will be impaired and they may not see you.

Close call. Seeing more cars with blacked out side windows too which isn't going to help if they're reducing the light coming through their windows further - making them less liable to spot the oncoming car.

Good advice on the lights, may start turning them on, perhaps earlier than normal as dusk approaches.

As an aside, just bought a dash cam for my own car too. Not had any close calls for a long time, but I've seen plenty ahead of me over the recent years.

Edited by Mike