My Custom Carbon Mirrors :)

stu1986

After looking for ages to find suitable carbon fibre mirror covers for my car I finally bit the bullet with the help of a good mate of mine who deals with the stuff as a living, working on pieces for McLaren etc.

I looked at many companies but none seem to have a decent review and none really fitted to well (from what I read)

After both my mate and I looked for a solution, we first thought about doing the whole cap piece in carbon fibre but the main problem was to get the fitting just right so it looked and fitted perfect.

He then said would I mind the original cap being wrapped but rather than the standard vinyl wrap which in my opinion doesn't do carbon fibre justice how about using proper carbon fibre instead, this way we can still use the original clips for the mirror.

This is the process we did, unfortunately I am not able to show the full process but hope you can get an idea.

Mirrors Before

001_zps3266ee85.jpg

The first task was to remove the glass using a small flat head screwdriver on the bottom of the mirror is simply just popped off.

003_zpsc15f5e40.jpg

Due to the wires being very fragile I decided to keep them attached to the glass.

002_zps22c2c797.jpg

I then had the careful task of removing the

004_zpsb5d7c952.jpg

Cap removed with no damage

005_zpsaec77da0.jpg

The caps were then wrapped in carbon fibre and curd at 80 degrees, ones cured they were sanded and made smooth, as you can probably see the carbon is not a simple up / down weave but flows nicely into the corners.

007_zpsbcb93f9f.jpg

Once complete a test fit was done and minor adjustments were done and fitted nicely.

008_zps2230655c.jpg

The final stage was to lacquer them. After 4 coats of lacquer they were totally smooth and looking great. :)

009_zps74182be6.jpg

fitted to my 370Z

011_zpscb7130ca.jpg

013_zps71f0b268.jpg

The pictures dont really do them justice but I love them, kinda cool to think the carbon fibre used for them is what they use for the McLaren cars :)

Comments Welcome

• Like 2

That looks super smashing great :clap:

Just one thing........ Have you got thieves in your area? As its appears that you have BILKING thieves..... They've stollen all the letters and numbers from your number plate!!!!!!