Xbox One discussion

neo

I wouldn't mind either and £80 difference over the life of a console is nothing. They're both going to be good systems and the only reason I'm getting the PS4 is because all my mates are. I am going to miss Forza though; hopefully drive club will be a decent game.

I had put off pre-ordering an Xbox One as I was due to travel abroad in early November so couldn't justify cost of holiday and console, but had to cancel trip last week so thought I would get the One after all.

Went into game and asked young lad on the floor if you can still pre-order for launch day, he says yes, so went to counter and offered my £20 only to be told they can only guarantee delivery before Christmas!!!!

So now I am stuck in limbo without a launch day console, does anyone know any chain still taking orders for launch day?

I have read that Microsoft were not releasing more consoles for pre-order only due to wanting to have consoles in the stores so people can walk in and buy them rather than purely pre-orders but this makes no sense.

Why would you leave stock in stores if you could sell all your first allocation upfront??

I've been an Xbox fan since the original one came out but they can poke this one. I'm getting a PS4 since I think it's more geared towards being a games console with some other bits added in. Xbox One seems to be trying to be a home media centre with a games console tagged on.

Maxi G - I think you can still store reserve consoles in doe stores.

Only today there was an article on Eurogamer about Game offering queue jumping for midnight release customers paying two days early.

So if you really want a console on release day pop into Game and have a word.

Like you say, online is sold out, only in store for release day units.

I've been an Xbox fan since the original one came out but they can poke this one. I'm getting a PS4 since I think it's more geared towards being a games console with some other bits added in. Xbox One seems to be trying to be a home media centre with a games console tagged on.

Which, ironically, is exactly what the PS3 wanted to be.

I used to be happy with a pure games console, but now I expect more from a home entertainment solution. Being able to snap back and forth between games and Netflix all via voice is going to make a huge difference to our experience here in the Morgan household.

• Like 1

Ekona - What launch games are you getting ??

What are you most looking forward too ??

FIFA 'cos it's free, Forza, DR3 and probably Ryse. Did have Watchdogs on pre-order too, but that's been delayed hence me looking at Ryse. May pick up Just Dance 2014 and Lego Marvel too, for the missus. Also want to get a wheel, but it looks like neither the Thrustmaster nor the MadCatz one will be out in time :(

Most looking forward to Forza, but only with a wheel. Aside from that, I can see me putting a lot of time into DR3 now they've removed the stupid time limit on it. How about you?

Well, I've gone for FIFA (Free, lol) Forza and B4.

Watch Dogs was on the list too but that slipped so no and nothing else really grabs me. CoD I might take a look at just for the shear case of, because and it's new although I'm not really interested the series anymore.

Ryse just looks like a prompt and push real time game, I'm not in to them to linear for me, although it 'looks' good.

I played the new Wolfenstien at Eurogamer and that was very very good, surprising too, it was my pick of the event and is released end of November so I'll be getting that for sure.

My mate has a Fanatec rig, a proper one, £2500.

It's insane, it has dual motors for force feedback and a proper rig and gear stick, it's silly how high quality it is, lol.

Dead Rising 3 hey ??? Not got into any of them really, although I have invested some hours into them.

Titanfall looks like it will good too, reminds me of Quake.

how long do you reckon before they drop a little in price?

Lol, let it come out first :lol: .

I don't think it will drop in price anytime soon. I think it's more than likely they'll give incentives that will make the package more appealing.

You already get a free game but they may introduce a free year long XBL membership or something.

The PS is sold at a loss by Sony and with less features. A similar specced PS with a game like the Xbox would probably cost more. If that's what you're comparing it too.

For what it's worth though I do think it's a lot of money. For me it's worth it, against hours used and value for money but for the casual gamer it's a ludicrous cost.

I had put off pre-ordering an Xbox One as I was due to travel abroad in early November so couldn't justify cost of holiday and console, but had to cancel trip last week so thought I would get the One after all.

Went into game and asked young lad on the floor if you can still pre-order for launch day, he says yes, so went to counter and offered my £20 only to be told they can only guarantee delivery before Christmas!!!!

So now I am stuck in limbo without a launch day console, does anyone know any chain still taking orders for launch day?

I have read that Microsoft were not releasing more consoles for pre-order only due to wanting to have consoles in the stores so people can walk in and buy them rather than purely pre-orders but this makes no sense.

Why would you leave stock in stores if you could sell all your first allocation upfront??

Ive been told by a store manager at GAME that head office is flooded with stock for Xbox One. Apparently the aim is to satisfy all pre-orders day one, and the have enough stock to satisfy people who walk in off the street by the time PS4 launches a week later. So if somebody walks in to get a PS4 on launch day to be told "sorry, no stock tll Xmas" - there will be stock of Xbox One sat on the shelf.

Also means anyone wanting to scalp on ebay will be out of luck too.

There are also a lot of people cancelling pre-orders on the strength of these confirmations of lower resolution on Xbox One. Im still on the fence. Cant get my money back on pre-order until after the launch, so have the luxury of being able to see it with my own eyes before I cancel or buy.

I think there will be spare stock just a few days after launch if people still want one.

how long do you reckon before they drop a little in price?

If the reasons for Xbox lower res is confirmed as hitting hardware limits rather than lazy/rushed development, then I see it as Microsofts only option to save a bit of face. May p*ss off day one purhcasers though. They may even decide to do this prior to launch. Ive no doubt the gap should be closer, althopugh the PS4 has on paper better hardware, the gap should not be 720p to 1080p - thats more than double the pixels being pushed. whereas the gap at best should be 30% ish. I think the devs just didnt get enough time with the machine to work round its quirky esram thingy.

Yes, there seems to be some big people panicking about the resolution issues, which as much as you want to argue about it, are true.

I suppose was matters, is how much you care.

Also, it's not all games that run at a lower res, only the ones they've tested (which aren't finished) BF4 and CoD. Forza 5 is supposed to be 1080p I think.

But yes, the PS4 has the more powerful edge over the Xbox One, which everyone knew about. Just like the PS3 had over the Xbox 360.

Only now are the video's of the comparisons coming out and are clear for all to see.

My overall assumption is that for CoD, the PS4 looked sharper and smoother than the Xbox but the Xbox looked more colorful, less washy maybe.

Even after that though, for me, it's not generally all about the graphics, the games have to play well and the people and the service you play on has to be solid. I can't understand but can appreciate, how people can get hung up on loads of numbers without having even pushed a button.

All developers always use 100% of the hardware with every game: After all, why would you not? The improvements are with the software dev kits themselves, and I believe that Sony are ahead of MS in this area right now. Combine that with the ESRAM of the Xbone being more awkward to use initially (i.e. when programmers are not used to programming for a brand-new console), and you have a perfectly sensible reason as to why the third-party games are different so far.

Look at Forza, and look at Drive Club, both 1st party games (or at least, published 1st party). Forza looks better to me, and is ready for launch now at 1080p and 60fps. Drive Club isn't ready, but will hit the same performance targets. That says to me that once programmers get used to the Xbone, you'll notice precious difference until we are much, much further down the line. I'm talking 5+ years, when the hardware will be relatively ancient but the dev software will be pushing the limits. That's when the extra grunt of the PS4 GDDR5 may well be shown, but that's ages away.

Tbh, if all you want to do is play CoD/FIFA/AC then you might as well get a PS4. It's cheaper, after all. I want Kinect, and I want Forza, and I want Titanfall, and I want Halo, and I want XBL. It's the exclusives that should determine the system you buy, not whether one game has more pixels than another. When you buy a TV, do you pick the one with the best specs, or do you pick the one that actually looks better to your eyes and suits your needs?

Forza manages 1080p/60fs but in all fairness, its a racing game. The amount of stuff being shifted around on screen in a racing game compared to that of a first person shooter like BF or COD is not really comparable. A racer will be a lot easier on the graphics hardware. Thats why Im fence sitting to see if its rushed development of the game, or whether the hardware is going to constantly give these issues.

Will thrid party developers work round the hardware, or will they take the option of just lowering the resolution or the effects to make it work on the more difficult console?

Im fence sitting until such time as it all comes out in the wash - and then probably get both. :lol:

Just edited the title for this thread :)

TBH i haven't really looked at either console in depth, they both have their good and bad games like every single console ever released, it's just that when both of them try graphically intensive games they both fall short of true 1080 resolution from day one, sure they will get there in the end but surely that shouldn't be the case in 2013.

heck i've been gaming at fullHD for years at well over 60fps on my pc, yes it costs more and so it should given the benefits.

(sry if the above is a ramble, tis friday afternoon, raining hard outside and knocking back some cold ones inside :teeth: )