Xbox One and PS4 discussion

marzman

So it would seem that the Xbox One has been announced today as the next generation of Xbox console. Bit of a crappy name if you ask me, seeing as the Xbox one came out about 10 years ago! I preferred the Xbox Infinity name that was being discussed for the last few weeks.

Anyway i've just read all of the release info and im a bit underwhelmed at the moment. Set for release later this year it's going to be a fully integrated home entertainment system, or all in 'one' device, hence the name.

It will have an integrated Blu-Ray Player and Kinect with a 1080p camera, and has been designed to watch your standard TV through it too (via HDMI-in port) to give you additional features on top of your standard TV - for example voice and motion controlled EPG, and realtime web browsing whilst not interfering with what you're watching.

As of yet though i've not seen any specific innovations on the gaming front... just a few trailers for Forza 5 and the new CoD etc... but even the graphics dont seem to be much of a step up on the current generation so im not sure what the differences are going to be?

I'd also be interested to see if the planned GTA 5 is going to be affected at all. This was originally due out in Q1 this year but has been pushed back until September... but are Rockstar really going to bring this out 1-2 months before the next gen consoles come out? I think i'll be disappointed if they do....

Fairly good release information here:

http://www.pocket-li...ou-need-to-know

[media]

[/media]

With regards to the PS4... i'd be interested to here other people's opinion's on it as i've not followed it's release at all... i briefly owned a PS3 but found the Xbox to be the better console. Is anyone here going to go for one of these over the Xbox?

Edited by marzman

Sony have always out performed Xbox on grunt and capacity and rendering. When I had both a PS3 and Xbox, I thought the PS3 was better in those departments. I only want to play games (now and again now :wheelchair: ), not interested in using it as an "all in one" device. You can get better quality of other home entertainment with other products.

At the minute PS4 for me :thumbs:

Must admit not to taken with the design of it ,looks like a 80s throw back video player :scare: .Looks like it might be a role revearsal this time around as Sony looks to be making a " games " consul rather than a all rounder and something this time that the devs can work with.

Looking at the specs, 8 core AMD and 8GB ram, it appears to be pretty much the same internals as the PS4. Pretty much everything they are advertising is a gimmick, though. Kinect is a huge gimmick, no "hardcore" gamer has any real use for it as yet and most of the Xbox 360 crowd already have Blue-ray players i'm sure.

As for the PS4 - I've owned all 3 Playstations and I will be buying the 4th, but not straight away. The only games I really play are GT and CoD which both have new games out at the end of this year, but I am lead to believe that they will be PS3 games, not PS4, so no reason for me to "upgrade".

I've also heard that games HAVE to be installed onto the Xbox in order to play them and if you are to resell them, the purchaser will have to cough up extra money to the developer in order to actually play the thing, similar to how EA have done with online playing for a few years.

PS4 is outlined for Nov 2013.....BUT as with everything Sony, expect delays.

Confirmation of the new Gran Turismo has yet to be released...how long did we wait for the last one!!

Still reckon the PS4 is the better bet though.

Just have to wait (possibly a long time) and see.

For me Xbox has always been catching up with Sony. There is nothing majorly wrong with Xbox, but with their chargeable online service and noisy unit, slightly clunky interfaces the PS has always been a winner, especially with the graphics slightly taking the lead with the PS.

I've played both units along the way and haven't found the Xbox to lead in any one area.

This maybe why they are looking at moving towards other areas of home entertainment.

I'm very excited for the PS4, but don't see any great leaps or bounds with technology advance.

I was also shocked to hear that GT will be a PS3 title, doesn't seem logic to me.

• Like 1

I used to get really excited about new console releases but it just doesn't seem to do it for me any more. All we are likely to see from these new consoles is slightly better looking versions of the same old games rehashed once again. The media hub stuff doesn't really interest me either - prefer to use a Blu Ray player / Sky HD for films, don't do Facebook / Twitter and happy to listen to music on an MP3 player or a proper music system. I think I must be getting old because I find myself increasingly going for older games. Currently hunting around for a decent Super Nintendo on Ebay (PM me if you have one gathering dust in your loft!)

Edited by sipar69

I'll be going PS4, I've had each iteration and if I learnt one thing as a kid, you're either SEGA or Nintendo - you can't change teams! - so I'm sticking Sony not jumping to Microsoft.

I'd have considered switching if Xbox was significantly better, or if Gran Turismo would make it over to that platform. Also the home media centre stuff doesn't really float my boat, I'm after a games machine, nothing else, if I do want to watch a movie the PS3 already has sufficient capability in that area for me. I've dabbled with Xbox over the years, I've always preferred Sony's UI.

I hope this isn't the begining of the end of dedicated gaming devices, on a long road to a switch to cloud served up games and the start of always on Internet being mandatory. I don't want the brains of my device in some server farm contending with a billion other people for CPU cycles. I want it in my living room just for me!

• Like 1

The best consoles. You could disagree, but you would be wrong.

NES vs Master system

SNES vs Mega Drive

N64 vs Dreamcast vs PS1

Xbox vs PS2

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii

New Xbox vs PS4 vs Wii U - too early to say.

I think the generations are all roughly right.

I think they will all go the way of the media centre - proper gamers have PCs. Console gamers are on average more casual - marketing a console to pure gamers would be suicide - how many people bought a PS3 because it was a cheap Blu Ray player and treated the games as an extra? A fair few I would imagine.

Noone want to change their console every year to be able to play the latest game on ultra settings - if they did, they should have bought a pc.

Personally, I would prefer a box that only played games, but that isn't what a console is anymore - Sony and Microsoft know this - for pure gaming a console will never, ever match PC gaming - they need the people with the netflix subscription who don't care about comparing framerates to buy their consoles to buy them.

• Like 1

Graphics have always been better on the 360 in comparable games, due to it being easier to program for :shrug: There's heaps of examples of this out there, from CoDs to ACs to Batmans.

I'm a 360 gamer, mainly due to the design of the controllers over the cheap plasticky things Sony uses, and I was very impressed at the launch of XB1 yesterday. If it can integrate properly with UK tellybocks (no guarantees there at all) then they'll be onto a winner with the mass market: Look how easy TV manufacturers are selling these new motion-sensor SmartTVs, as it's a clever tech that's easy to use and easy to sell to the wimminfolk as a worthwhile upgrade as they'll actually be able to use it (apologies for the stereotyping, but you know what I mean).

Specs are identical, and programming is identical so I don't see that either have the advantage there. Both are relying heavily on cloud stuff (MS via the 300K XBL servers, and Sony with Gaikai), Sony appear to be more interested in getting you to buy a Vita to add in to the PS4 experience where MS are using Smartglass to bring more to the table. As always, XBL is the better online platform but you have to pay for it, but the PSN has come on in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years so there may be nothing there between them now.

I can't see that either platform is stronger than the other right now, and it all depends on how well developers are willing to integrate the Kinect functionality into their games now they know every XB1 user will have it. They may really go for it and games on that system will become the definitive version and that's the console everyone will buy, or it may be that no-one will bother because 2/3 of their audience cannot use it. I don't think there's much argument that the XB1 is a bigger potential step forward in gaming, but as always it's the games that will decide this. Oh, and the price and launch dates: Whoever is cheaper is in a much better position than whoever goes first. Can cash-strapped Sony afford to sell at a loss? Will MS want to take that risk? Christmas will be interesting, that's for sure.

I'm buying the XB1, if for no other reason than I like gadgets and gizmos and if both consoles are otherwise identical, I might as well go for the one that I'm already invested in with GS and cheevos AND that has the gimmicks.

• Like 1

proper gamers have PCs. Console gamers are on average more casual - marketing a console to pure gamers would be suicide - how many people bought a PS3 because it was a cheap Blu Ray player and treated the games as an extra? A fair few I would imagine.

Noone want to change their console every year to be able to play the latest game on ultra settings - if they did, they should have bought a pc.

Proper gamers ditched their PC for consoles years ago, when it became clear that lead development on games were designed for those instead. They also got fed up with having to buy a new gfx card at £200 every year just to keep up with technology, when their console playing friends had an equally good visual interface.

I doubt that anyone bought a PS3 because it had BD, since it was (and still is) far more expensive than a dedicated player. That wasn't the case with the PS2 and DVD.

they need the people with the netflix subscription who don't care about comparing framerates to buy their consoles to buy them.

Exactly. Comparing framerates is the gaming equivalent of having a tiny e-peen and boasting that your car as 1bhp more than your mate's car: No-one cares as it's irrelevant to the overall experience.

• Like 1

Always been a PS for me, however I did look into Xbox before I bought my PS3, done a bit research and mainly there are not a lot difference. Actual choice was actually based on games, as u know some games only made for PS or XBox...and I guess many people decide on that as well, if u like kill zone or GOW etc etc etc

Plus PSN is free, which is bonus and never had any issues yet!

As of PS4 or XBox One... Ill stick to PS3 for now and spend £300-£400 on Z instead lol

If forza is Forza ill get the new xbox but the trailer makes it look like a PGR and Forza love child which PGR4 was well @*!# Imo

At the risk of it tuning into a GT vs Forza fight, i do like GT but the driving physics of forza are just more realistic with weight transfers etc

GT spent 7 years to produce a game with only a small pecentage being 'Premium' cars and the rest look like there out of GT3, and every car sounds like a vacum cleaner

But on the other hand Forza needs a refresh its all gone stale in areas like the tuning no new kits/wheels etc you would build the same car in forza 4 as you did in one as there are no new parts

And as already said if GTA V is going to be carried to next gen

Neither console (graphic wise) does it for me :shrug:

i guess the PS4 console will look a whole lot better than the 80's VCR style of the "xbox one", what a silly name they gave it :lol:

hopefully any games that do come to the pc from the consoles or visa versa will finally look better. might even get more than 8 v 8 in FPS on the consoles :blush:

Personally I've stuck with my commodore 64, yeah sure it takes a while to load, sometimes crashes but nothing more satisfying than playing cassette roulette.

James Pond is still an awesome game :thumbs:

• Like 1

Personally I've stuck with my commodore 64, yeah sure it takes a while to load, sometimes crashes but nothing more satisfying than playing cassette roulette.

James Pond is still an awesome game :thumbs:

Defo! Retro rules :)