I *THINK* ive been caught Speeding in excess of over 100

Seabee

OK guys I'm a bit worried as you can imagine I was driving to work this morning and had this polo up my ass it might of been a golf I'm not to shore but he was really close to me so I was toying with him on the motorway putting my foot down and easing off again, I pulled off to the slip road with him behind me still and he then pulled next to me wearing police uniform and said I've clocked you doing 110mph you will get a letter in the post and a £200 fine with disqualification, then as he was in the other lane he drove off! The car seemed quite basic but he was in uniform and I couldn't see any built in bumper lights or cameras. What's yours thoughts guys? Scarring me on his way to work or am I getting banned?

Edited by Seabee

Just my thoughts but don't they need to record you?

I reckon he's just scare mongering and hopefully he was but also hopefully that will teach you a lesson too.

I got pulled last yr, since then I just stick my cruise control on and dont worry about speeding anymore.

Yea I know it was a bit silly I generally cruise at the limit to, to be honest it was me and my eego, he was annoying me driving so close to my rear, he was flashing me with his headlights to move over to so I thought although he said he was doing that for me to slow down? Lol

Edited by Seabee

Dont worry about it, Ive had a similar experience with a guy in a Mercedes - I went past him, he took offence, fast driving occurred. He then nearly took out two cars trying to catch me up on a slip road and then pulled me over (on a roundabout no less) flashing his badge at me and telling me that he would make sure I got done etc. etc.

I wasnt too worried as he was wearing a Leeds football shirt and had what turned out to be a Military Police badge rather than regular John Law, there was also the fact he had well exceeded the speed limit in a non-police vehicle, had no permission to give chase and wouldnt have had anything other than his word that I was speeding. When the Traffic Cars have to have their speedos calibrated daily I doubt some speed demon in a Polo is going to have much joy TBH ;)

EDIT: He was driving dangerously as well, even if hes a trained pursuit driver he cant just start nailing about whenever he feels like it. You also dont have to stop for an unmarked car, you can say you were worried it was a potential road rage incident.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Just my thoughts but don't they need to record you?

I reckon he's just scare mongering and hopefully he was but also hopefully that will teach you a lesson too.

I got pulled last yr, since then I just stick my cruise control on and dont worry about speeding anymore.

Well he said I had been recorded but I couldn't see the camera on gear recording me, I thought generally he should of pulled me over officially

He was probably on his way to work and was trying to scare monger you. The police do have certain powers available to them even if off duty, esp if in uniform. But from what you've said, he wouldn't be able to. Even if he had no video camera evidence, he would have to of pulled you over and got you to admit it whilst noting it all down.

Take it as a lesson learned.

If he din't get your name then it's unlikely you'll get anything further, however I suspect his language used was as a warning that if he had stopped you and done you properly for it then that's exactly the punishment you would be looking it. If you're not prepared to put up with the time, then don't do the crime. Everyone knows what the punishment for 100mph is, so why risk it? It's hardly fun or challenging.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, I was stupid when I was a kid as well (50 in a 30 for no good reason) and I got a very similar warning. It really brought it home to me just what I was risking for so little gain, hopefully it will do the same to you.

Sounds a load of bull to me. If you get caught at over 100 it has to be settled in court. I would get its reg and go to the police and report them for harrasement and tormententing you, if he is a real police officer im sure it wont be taken lightly.

he then pulled next to me wearing police uniform and said I've clocked you doing 110mph you will get a letter in the post and a £200 fine with disqualification

Your not getting done mate. Somebody pulling alongside you saying that doesn't really count ;)

he then pulled next to me wearing police uniform and said I've clocked you doing 110mph you will get a letter in the post and a £200 fine with disqualification

Your not getting done mate. Somebody pulling alongside you saying that doesn't really count ;)

Even if he was wearing uniform? Lol

Even if he was wearing uniform. Even if he reported you for summons then the CPS would throw it out as there's not enough information. In my professional opinion you are not getting in trouble. It's probably an irate cop on the way home from a long shift!

Edited by kris

At the very least he would have had to issue you some kind ticket. They can't just take your reg number and deal with you retrospectively via the mail. Maybe he meant you went through a speed camera? You're a lucky lad as if it was a genuine stop you almost certainly would have been banned for a period!

• Like 1

Even if he was wearing uniform. Even if he reported you for summons then the CPS would throw it out as there's not enough information. In my professional opinion you are not getting in trouble. It's probably an irate cop on the way home from a long shift!

OK last question now I promise, he said it was on camera to? Does that give mean he didn't need to pull me over? Thanks

If you get a ban I will literally cut both of my bollocks off and mount them in a little glass case for you to keep on your mantle.

Not a chance in blue hell.

For a boot off its not for plod to decide who gets a ban - thats the courts job

• Like 1

Lol bbk well can anyone confirm that he would of had to of pulled me over? It was basically I got you on camera doing 110 you will have a letter and get disqualified goodbye and off he drove lol

No. Otherwise speed cameras wouldn't be worth what they are.

However, anything over 100mph is a court appearance, not any sort of fixed penalty that the guy alluded to. IF he does follow through with it, they've got 14 days to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution, but my instinct says you'll be bloody lucky and get away with it and you'll hear no more about it.

I thought the only ways you could be done for speeding are:

Traffic Officer Stop (Marked or unmarked cars with 2 Traffic Officers)

Fixed Speed Cameras

Mobile Speed Cameras

I don't even think you have to stop if they don't have blue lights as it could be anyone?

Edited by Paddy78

At the very least he would have had to issue you some kind ticket. They can't just take your reg number and deal with you retrospectively via the mail. Maybe he meant you went through a speed camera? You're a lucky lad as if it was a genuine stop you almost certainly would have been banned for a period!

Definitely no fixed cams or bridges on that road paddy :)