I *THINK* ive been caught Speeding in excess of over 100

Seabee

Right, there's a bit of nonsense being said in this thread, so let's try and clear it up a bit, shall we? This is all for England and Wales, I know Scotland is a little different.

1. You do not have to be stopped and issued with anything. If you did, then speed cameras wouldn't be acceptable.

2. They do not need to video you or take a photo or anything. All that is needed is a prior opinion of a single office of the law of excess speed. They don't have to measure anything, just that they believe you to be travelling above the speed limit. That's it.

3. Anything over 100mph is a court appearance. Not true, an officer always has discretion, and they can take you to court for 1mph over the limit if they wish. In practice, there are bands and you will usually end up with an FPN below certain speeds, but this is in their discretion.

If he took your plate, he can go back to the station and fill the paperwork in. You'll then get a S.172 in the post just like you would if you got done via camera. You'd then have to nominate yourself and go down that whole route. This is very unlikely to happen, so as I said just take it as a warning and keep the speed down, you never know who is behind you.

• Like 1

Right, there's a bit of nonsense being said in this thread, so let's try and clear it up a bit, shall we? This is all for England and Wales, I know Scotland is a little different.

1. You do not have to be stopped and issued with anything. If you did, then speed cameras wouldn't be acceptable.

2. They do not need to video you or take a photo or anything. All that is needed is a prior opinion of a single office of the law of excess speed. They don't have to measure anything, just that they believe you to be travelling above the speed limit. That's it.

3. Anything over 100mph is a court appearance. Not true, an officer always has discretion, and they can take you to court for 1mph over the limit if they wish. In practice, there are bands and you will usually end up with an FPN below certain speeds, but this is in their discretion.

If he took your plate, he can go back to the station and fill the paperwork in. You'll then get a S.172 in the post just like you would if you got done via camera. You'd then have to nominate yourself and go down that whole route. This is very unlikely to happen, so as I said just take it as a warning and keep the speed down, you never know who is behind you.

All correct, and like you said it's highly unlikely the officer would carry it further. I doubt the CPS would have it tbh.

Don't be! I know how you feel, but I'm 99.9% certain that you won't hear anything else. Even if you did (and assuming you have a clean licence) I suspect the most you'd get would be a fine of around £200-£600 depending on what you earn, and a 14 day ban max. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things, you could get round that if needs be.

It really won't happen though mate, and you seem pretty remorseful about the whole thing too. Just remember those feelings you've got now next time you're tempted to speed, and ask yourself if it's worth the risk and you'll end up a much improved driver because of it. :)

• Like 2

Traffic Officer Stop (Marked or unmarked cars with 2 Traffic Officers)

Yes, the key here is 2 officers. I got pulled for speeding on my scooter in Rhyl (well I'd actually stopped at the time) by an officer in uniform but in his own car. He just gave me a good telling off. They may run a vehicle check and be on the lookout for you in future but you should be O.K.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Im not going to write the same post again, but I looked into this when I was "done" ......... if they choose to proceed then you ask for a court date, and the officer will then have to stand up and justify why he did in excess of 100mph in his own car in order to catch you up. He cannot specifically detail your speed, he cant show any evidence you were driving like a tard and Id be amazed if it wasnt thrown straight out and the officer in question given a proper bollocking or worse.

Being John Law isnt a license to go around doing what you want, when you want. If he was serious about this he would have taken some more details as well ......... I mean, how does he know it wasnt me driving your car for instance? You dont prosecute the car owner, you prosecute the driver.

• Like 1

Yes, the key here is 2 officers.

Pete

Only in Scotland, not in England or Wales. See my post above for what they need south of that border. :)

Being John Law isnt a license to go around doing what you want, when you want. If he was serious about this he would have taken some more details as well ......... I mean, how does he know it wasnt me driving your car for instance? You dont prosecute the car owner, you prosecute the driver.

Which is what the s172 is for, which could still be sent out to the RK.

I agree excessive speeding is not worth the risk if you have a 350Z or 370Z what do you have to prove. Most people know there not as fast.

I think 5mph in a 30 and below zone or 10 mph in a 40 or above over the limit is acceptable depending on conditions and traffic flow.

I had a guy in a BMW 118d this morning having a go. All the way to work. Got to airport tunnels in Manchester and he shoot off, I kept up at a safe distance a little over the limit because I want to get past a truck carrying a load of muck but he nearly took out another car because he tried so hard to get away from me when he went past the truck he was going too fast to pull in without hitting the car in front, so he went wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic few car lengths away.

Utter idiot.

Could of cause a serious accident and make me late for work.

Really you think a BMW 118d has the jump on a 370Z. Idiot

Don't be! I know how you feel, but I'm 99.9% certain that you won't hear anything else. Even if you did (and assuming you have a clean licence) I suspect the most you'd get would be a fine of around £200-£600 depending on what you earn, and a 14 day ban max. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things, you could get round that if needs be.

It really won't happen though mate, and you seem pretty remorseful about the whole thing too. Just remember those feelings you've got now next time you're tempted to speed, and ask yourself if it's worth the risk and you'll end up a much improved driver because of it. :)

Your right mate and guys you are correct I'm never speeding again :-/ it really isn't worth it

Im not going to write the same post again, but I looked into this when I was "done" ......... if they choose to proceed then you ask for a court date, and the officer will then have to stand up and justify why he did in excess of 100mph in his own car in order to catch you up. He cannot specifically detail your speed, he cant show any evidence you were driving like a tard and Id be amazed if it wasnt thrown straight out and the officer in question given a proper bollocking or worse.

Absolutely - regardless of Dan's techincal advice around what he legally can do the fact is (again as Dan has agreed with) there is not a wet frig in hells chance that he will do anything about it as;

a) he'll have literally no evidence to provide (seriously if OJ can be aquitted of a murder due to an ill fitting glove you've literally no chance of being prosecuted with absolutely zero evidence!)

B) have to justfiy his own speed whilst off duty (we're assuming) hence opening himself to problems

c) has not gone through any due procedure whatsoever in terms of a proper traffic stop and doesn't even know what driver to serve a summons upon! (I'm sure our resident plods will confirm this?)

Bottom line he was doing what a good off duty bobby should do........pulled over a speeding div and gave him a bit of a good old fashioned ear bashing - some will disagree as he was speeding/not following process etc but bollocks to that, it never hurt anyone years ago and it won't now.

The only thing that will come of this is that you think twice before lamping it to 100mph again (which it clearly already has done).

• Like 1

Absolutely - regardless of Dan's techincal advice around what he legally can do the fact is (again as Dan has agreed with) there is not a wet frig in hells chance that he will do anything about it as;

a) he'll have literally no evidence to provide (seriously if OJ can be aquitted of a murder due to an ill fitting glove you've literally no chance of being prosecuted with absolutely zero evidence!)

B) have to justfiy his own speed whilst off duty (we're assuming) hence opening himself to problems

c) has not gone through any due procedure whatsoever in terms of a proper traffic stop and doesn't even know what driver to serve a summons upon! (I'm sure our resident plods will confirm this?)

Bottom line he was doing what a good off duty bobby should do........pulled over a speeding div and gave him a bit of a good old fashioned ear bashing - some will disagree as he was speeding/not following process etc but bollocks to that, it never hurt anyone years ago and it won't now.

The only thing that will come of this is that you think twice before lamping it to 100mph again (which it clearly already has done).

Agreed......

Regardless of said Polo mans Insistence, if he was (and I doubt it) a police officer. His observation alone of your alleged speed would have been enough to trigger a summons. He would have had no need to drive in your boot up the slip road to have a quiet word as one would not be needed.

Once again regardless, it's said officers word against yours and with no evidence other than "His word" any reasonable legal brief would quickly be able to take that apart. Proof is everything......

I would be very interested to sit in court and listed to the officers justification of why he was driving in said manor himself, which alone and from your description gives rise to safety concerns.

If you get your summons, and you won't. It would be worth the money to go to court with good representation and observe how this officers story stands up to a little scrutiny. The police I would think would wish to spend exactly no time and money attempting to gain a prosecution on very limited evidence from an office who's behaviour was as questionable as yours.

Lastly......

There, but for the grace of God. I would question and listen incredulously to any Z owner who say that they have not on occasion given the loud pedal a little tickle. If that we're the case "never" done it. My question would be "why did you buy it? Be sensible, pick your moments and don't be stupid. Enjoy your cars responsibly in the right environment. The run to work is not the right moment, in case you were thinking.....

Stop sweating, enjoy your day........

• Like 1

Cheers for that mate I guess the evidence he was claiming to have was a camera that I couldn't see, i was speaking to my old man and he said the officer should of pulled you into his car and showed you the evidence as well as give you some paperwork

I thought the only ways you could be done for speeding are:

I got done once after being stopped by a marked traffic car with just one officer in it. It was his word against mine, no witnesses or video evidence, which confirms what Ekona said. In actual fact this particular cop car was so far behind me he only actually had visual sight of me once I had stopped at some traffic lights and sat there for 3 or 4 minutes. So his evidence was sketchy at the best, but the 187 year old magistrate obviously believed his word over mine.

. You also dont have to stop for an unmarked car, you can say you were worried it was a potential road rage incident.

I never knew that. Ive been pulled in the past by unmarked cars with all their blue lights flashing and thought you had to stop. Or do you mean, unmarked as in non police cars or unmarked cop cars without blue lights?

O Please sir may I enter my story for a single policemans speed estimate?

My solicitor (Head of RAC legal team in my area) argued the estimate and quoted from one of his many law books he brought along.

He said the estimate of speed was inaccurate. unreliable and was NOT corroborated by a second officer of the law or a calibrated device,

He then went on to point out that by the policemen's own testimony that I had managed to stop the car in less than 33 feet from the point the police officer had said I was doing nearly 50 and after deducting the length of my car (16 feet) I had managed 50mph to 0mph in 17 feet :scare:

He concluded with - "so either my client has exceptional brakes and lightning reflexes or the estimate was indeed not very accurate"

Case Dismissed :yahoo:

I still have the newspaper cutting somewhere :lol:

@ the OP - I think it's a wind up - my mate who is a security guard does the same thing "for fun" he looks like a copper with his white shirt and numbers on his shoulder but he isn't ;)

EDIT - I was done in Wales 20 odd years ago - the laws may have changed :lol:

Edited by Keyser

I had managed 50mph to 0mph in 17 feet :scare: He concluded with - "so either my client has exceptional brakes....

If it was indeed the brakes :lol: please may I have some..are they something you knocked up in the ZedShed?

As far as I know they have to pull u over, take your details and that and say that u got points and fine! If he didn't do that - u fine! Plus can he prove it? I'm pretty sure he didn't have a proper under cover car with camera etc...so yea, looks like he is just been trying to scare you!

As far as I know they have to pull u over, take your details and that and say that u got points and fine! If he didn't do that - u fine! Plus can he prove it? I'm pretty sure he didn't have a proper under cover car with camera etc...so yea, looks like he is just been trying to scare you!

You don't have to be pulled over. As previously mentioned the officer can report you for summons. It's then down to the officer to prove what happened.