I *THINK* ive been caught Speeding in excess of over 100

Seabee

I thought the only ways you could be done for speeding are:

Traffic Officer Stop (Marked or unmarked cars with 2 Traffic Officers)

I got done once after being stopped by a marked traffic car with just one officer in it. It was his word against mine, no witnesses or video evidence, which confirms what Ekona said. In actual fact this particular cop car was so far behind me he only actually had visual sight of me once I had stopped at some traffic lights and sat there for 3 or 4 minutes. So his evidence was sketchy at the best, but the 187 year old magistrate obviously believed his word over mine.

. You also dont have to stop for an unmarked car, you can say you were worried it was a potential road rage incident.

I never knew that. Ive been pulled in the past by unmarked cars with all their blue lights flashing and thought you had to stop. Or do you mean, unmarked as in non police cars or unmarked cop cars without blue lights?

And the moral of that story is ! Take legal council, never represent yourself. You may as well just say "its a fair cop"......

If you're going to contest it. Take a lawyer. If you're not bothered about the points or the fine. Admit it and pay. Our esteemed forum member is not right in this case.

It's not the fact that he was speeding here. It's the fact that the ? Bogus officer gave chase without lights or sirens, potentially endangering himself and other members of the public. Justification for that is tenuous at best. If you contest his potential evidence have it argued by someone who knows the law when you attend court. If you don't you'll be taken apart by the judge and yes he will take the officers word. Put the same officer in front of your council and this incident will be systematically be taken apart. Innocent until proven guilty !!!

If the previous statement was correct. The officer didn't even need to pursue the Z. You'd just get the summons in the post. Instead the officer chose reckless endangerment of all involved by having 2 vehicles doing in excess of 100mph on a public road without audible and visual warnings in an unmarked ? Police vehicle. What is the officers justification for that? Protecting and Serving the public. I think not.

A wink of sleep I would not lose over this.......

• Like 1

I thought the only ways you could be done for speeding are:

Traffic Officer Stop (Marked or unmarked cars with 2 Traffic Officers)

I got done once after being stopped by a marked traffic car with just one officer in it. It was his word against mine, no witnesses or video evidence, which confirms what Ekona said. In actual fact this particular cop car was so far behind me he only actually had visual sight of me once I had stopped at some traffic lights and sat there for 3 or 4 minutes. So his evidence was sketchy at the best, but the 187 year old magistrate obviously believed his word over mine.

. You also dont have to stop for an unmarked car, you can say you were worried it was a potential road rage incident.

I never knew that. Ive been pulled in the past by unmarked cars with all their blue lights flashing and thought you had to stop. Or do you mean, unmarked as in non police cars or unmarked cop cars without blue lights?

And the moral of that story is ! Take legal council, never represent yourself. You may as well just say "its a fair cop"......

If you're going to contest it. Take a lawyer. If you're not bothered about the points or the fine. Admit it and pay. Our esteemed forum member is not right in this case.

It's not the fact that he was speeding here. It's the fact that the ? Bogus officer gave chase without lights or sirens, potentially endangering himself and other members of the public. Justification for that is tenuous at best. If you contest his potential evidence have it argued by someone who knows the law when you attend court. If you don't you'll be taken apart by the judge and yes he will take the officers word. Put the same officer in front of your council and this incident will be systematically be taken apart. Innocent until proven guilty !!!

If the previous statement was correct. The officer didn't even need to pursue the Z. You'd just get the summons in the post. Instead the officer chose reckless endangerment of all involved by having 2 vehicles doing in excess of 100mph on a public road without audible and visual warnings in an unmarked ? Police vehicle. What is the officers justification for that? Protecting and Serving the public. I think not.

A wink of sleep I would not lose over this.......

WOW When you put it like that your right! If you are not a lawyer change jobs heli lol

• Like 1

Mate, if the pig wanted to do you, he would have bent you over your carbon fibre bonnet, stuck his truncheon up your fundamental orifice BEFORE asking for your name and insurance details.

These b!tches control motorists on FEAR! I should know, I’ve been stopped more times than 99% of the public! LOL

Have a cuppa and enjoy your day! :)

• Like 1

Well while working today I actually had a customer that was a police officer I described what happened and told him about the guy flashing his headlights at me and he laughed and said I very much doubt it was a patrol car as if I seen you doing 100mph I'd put my blue lights on. And the fact he didn't id me properly he said he can technically send me a notice of prosecution?.?. But its allot of hassle for him and for him to do those speeds with me he would have to prove he was on a call out. Anyhow it seems unlikely but still possible I guess its how much of a bad mood he was in and if he had real criminals to catch? I've got 12 more days until I'm in the clear though lol

If someone gets right up your chuff on the motorway then there are two things i would suggest:

1. ignore him - pull into the lane to your left when you feel safe / comfortable to do so. call him a *&^% and let him drive past you in his audi A5. you will have forgot about him in 2 mins tops.

2. repeatedly spray your washers so his windscreen gets covered in all the over-spray. Then maybe he will get them message. This is also a good way to annoy people lane hogging in the middle lane.

motorways are no place for a race. chances are if someone comes up behind you quickly they have been speeding along and will have the "who's this knob in my lane?" attitude. when in fact, they are just inconsiderate and so long as your not dordling or hogging in the outside lane you have every right to be there. don't let them bait you. just carry on about your business.

i doubt you will hear anything more on the matter. i once got pulled on a dual-carraigeway in a similar situation although i was going about 80 in a van. same 'copper on his way back from work' situation. he pulled me over, gave me a slap on the wrist and let me go. in the future i would never pull over for anything without flashing lights, but that said, if you're doing excessive speed and a copper sees you doing it, your probably better off apologising than getting him in a bad mood and throwing the book at you.

Take it as a warning and don't drive like a yob on motorways.

Edit: also posting on a public forum that you were exceeding 100mph is probably not too clever.

Edited by CrumbMC

My missus is a prison officer so drives to work in a white shirt with numbered epilets on and when on occasion she has taken the Zed she says other drivers have 'had a go' to goad her into racing then got alongside and been very sheepish :lol:

Very interesting reading some of the stuff especially the 'askthepolice' link, it makes sense really not to stop for an unmarked car with a non uniform officer, could be anyone :shrug:

My missus is a prison officer so drives to work in a white shirt with numbered epilets on and when on occasion she has taken the Zed she says other drivers have 'had a go' to goad her into racing then got alongside and been very sheepish :lol:

Very interesting reading some of the stuff especially the 'askthepolice' link, it makes sense really not to stop for an unmarked car with a non uniform officer, could be anyone :shrug:

Agreed on both counts!

Seriously, with car jacking these days, stopping because someone in an unmarked car wants you to, and even if they 'appear' to be wearing a police uniform, is that wise? With no other audible or visual signs that it is police that is risky and if the situation left me with no option I would stay in the car with doors locked and windows shut and have the phone primed to ring 999 on speaker if necessary.

Might sound a bit drastic but remember we drive in cars that (so called) joy riders would love to get their hands on if they could.

Agreed on both counts!

Seriously, with car jacking these days, stopping because someone in an unmarked car wants you to, and even if they 'appear' to be wearing a police uniform, is that wise? With no other audible or visual signs that it is police that is risky and if the situation left me with no option I would stay in the car with doors locked and windows shut and have the phone primed to ring 999 on speaker if necessary.

Might sound a bit drastic but remember we drive in cars that (so called) joy riders would love to get their hands on if they could.

I would only stop if I saw blue lights personally, as in the link if someone was 'chasing' you or trying to force you off the road then drive to a heavily populated place :thumbs:

Agreed on both counts!

I would only stop if I saw blue lights personally, as in the link if someone was 'chasing' you or trying to force you off the road then drive to a heavily populated place :thumbs:

and for this one and its blues and twos? :lol:

http://youtu.be/9cVoLZfrp_Q

and.is linked to the OP's experience?.

http://www.pistonhea...=0&t=572811&i=0

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it illegal for a police officer to exceed the speed limit while off duty in a civilian car. Police cars (even unmarked) are generally required to have five doors. Do you know if it was a 3 or 5 door?

I might be inclined to think he was on his way to start his shift and was late. Judging by the fact that he was flashing you to get out of the way. Also, due to the fact that he did not officially pull you over, it would lead me to believe he was off duty. As a result, I highly doubt he can submit an official report due to the fact that he himself was speeding, and some might argue, driving recklessly.

• Like 1

Hey I don't recall how many doors he had but your right he shouldn't of been persuing me at those speeds anyways i still think its more than likely he was in a rush and perhaps I was in the wrong at the wrong time. still NO letter though! :D 6 Days until im in the safe!

Im sure we all speed so I wont comment on that, but id say 100% you're fine.

Unmarked cars still have concealed blue lights and I don't see any mention of these in your post.

The guy sounds like he was in his own vehicle which hasn't undergone the same testing the police cars have and as such cannot break the speed limit or any highway code laws.

You needed to be handed a written warning, or like a "receipt" of the offence as well. Rest well, you got sway, this time anyway.

Seabee,

INAL, but I wouldn't worry.

1. Firstly if you were doing over 100MPH, the policeman reports you, he doesn't have the authority I hand out tickets after that. So him saying you'll get you disqualification thought the post is absolute bovine-excrement, and the fine (see point 2)

2. As you would have to attend court, it isn't a fixed penalty notice. Meaning, that our lovely judicial system now has the ability to bleed you dry of as much money as they possibly can, in the form of an income based penalty.

3. By the sounds of it, this policeman was in his daily driver, a daily driver which I highly doubt contains the calibrated equipment to allow them to take a reading of your speed whilst on the move over a set distance.

Give it 21 days from the date of the offence, nothing gets sent, forget about it. I think you just upset a angry little man who likes to wear his hat a little too much.

thanks aswell AV8ER its day 9 today lol! as i wasnt identified he needs to send a NIP to my address within 14 days (so 5 days left) however it goes from the date on the post mark so I cant just say the post was late :lol: . still keeping my fingers tightly crossed though :)

They don't need calibrated equipment! Argh!

They merely need to form an opinion of excess speed. Doesn't matter if they're in a trafpol car, their own car or a fricking cable car. On duty, off duty or duty free, no difference.

They merely need to form an opinion of excess speed. Doesn't matter if they're in a trafpol car, their own car or a fricking cable car. On duty, off duty or duty free, no difference.

Does their opinion not need to be supported by a witness... Ie another policeman, or the equipment in the car.

Like I said, INAL. This is based on boredom at work and sitting on the SP&L section of piston heads

Dan...calm down dear. I myself have given up on this topic ages ago.

If OP didn't wasn't observant enough of the drivers around him and acted like a tool, then it is what it is......

I just hope somebody does a tyre thread soon, so you can use your energy positively ;)

I'm off to the annual Pistonheads Fish & Chip Run, weather looks lovely for it :)

Edited by BulletMagnet