what colour holds its value best?

rtbiscuit

Found this quiet interesting

Traditionally only a fool notices the colour of a new car. When you're buying you need to consider things like fuel consumption, insurance costs and reliability - rather than falling for the shiny red one.

However, a new report reveals that the colour of the car you buy can make a huge difference to its resale value. So what colours hold their value best - and which will lose their value before you even drive them off the forecourt?

Best value

Valuation experts CAP measured the relative value of second hand cars after they reached five years old. They compared the same makes and models, and found wide variations in value simply because of colour.

The cars which held their value best were white, followed by indigo, purple, pink and brown.

This flies in the face of popular opinion. Traditionally white were known in the motor trade as being tough to shift. Not only were they impossible to keep showroom white, but they tended to out-stay their welcome at the dealership. As little as two years ago, the experts at What Car were warning that a prestige white model could lose up to £1,000 a year more than colours like silver and grey.

Fashion

However, the CAP research revealed that they tend to hold their value more nowadays - and are worth around 5% more than the average comparable car after five years. There are two possible explanations. One is fashion. After years of being roundly mocked, white cars are now back in fashion, and because there are fewer of them available on the second-hand market, they attract a premium.

The other is that this piece of research includes all sorts of sporty models, which influence the results. They come in unusual colours, and sell well on the second-hand market. This explains why indigo, pink and purple tend to outperform too. It's unlikely to mean your bog-standard family hatchback is better bought in pink. Take a Fiat 500, for example, a white model is likely to remain a classic, and hold its value.

Worst colours

At the other end of the spectrum, the colours which lost value the fastest were Turquoise, maroon, green, gold and blue. They suffer from being neither popular (like silver and black which perform averagely) or exciting and sporty (like white and indigo). As a result, they can be hard to shift second hand.

This is good news for the second-hand car buyer. If you want a real bargain, you may find that a green, maroon or blue car is significantly cheaper.

The best and worst performers

1. White

2. Indigo

3. Purple

4. Pink

5. Yellow

6. Grey

7. Brown

8. Black

9. Silver

10. Red

11. Orange

12. Blue

13. Gold

14. Green

15. Turquoise

16. Maroon

oringinal webpage http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/08/30/which-colour-car-holds-its-value-best/

Also depends what car it applies to most people won't want a gold corsa however the gold 350's are nice the only car that looks good in gold in my opinion. And I'm sure a bright yellow BMW won't sell well

One is fashion.

Yes, things change. You couldn't get a black car in The 60's. Silver was the considered to be the safest colour just a few years ago, just look at numbers of early TT's (and Zed's) in Silver.

Pete

Also depends what car it applies to most people won't want a gold corsa however the gold 350's are nice the only car that looks good in gold in my opinion. And I'm sure a bright yellow BMW won't sell well

Erm a Dakar yellow BMW is quite rare and sexy as ****!

...and exactly why you shouldn't let journo's near numbers :lol:

I wonder what their sample size was for the conclusion on the colour turquoise by make and model was for instance? 3? A quick look on PH classifieds and out of 85,000 cars for sale 47 are turquoise before you even start to break that down by make, model and age.

Good grief.

I wonder how they took account for the variations in spec? Condition?

Edited by coldel

Find it extremely hard to believe that Indigo, Purple, Pink, Yellow, Grey & Brown?!!!!!! hold their value better than black. Who an earth would want an Indigo, pink, purple or brown car?

The colours which hold their value are those which are popular. Traditionally black has always been popular. Silver was the colour to have a few years back. That slid more into gunmetal, now white is the colour to have. Wonder whats next? Poo brown?

While I completely agree that the colour of any car can make or break it (saw a vw up in black for the first time and thought that's quite tidy! :lol:), there's too many variables to consider when looking at used car prices. Age, spec, mileage, condition, service history etc etc it's too hard to find identical cars to compare the prices on colour

Yes azure, chilli, night blue might be more attractive to most buyers and the right colour cam transform the appearance of any car, it's a very personal thing. Im not a fan of sunset zeds but some won't consider any other colour

Anyhoo I'm booking my skyline in for a brown respray with a pink roof