Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Quite a productive weekend and few more pics.

Rear end now has a coat of high build epoxy primer.

1415830437548_zpsfdcb9527.jpg

DSC_0335_zpsa9c1033d.jpg

DSC_0331_zps277321ae.jpg

I then set to stripping the passenger door in the blasting cabinet.

DSC_0361_zps84d0d40c.jpg

Unfortunately the boot lid wouldn't fit in the cabinet so a more labour intensive approach was required.

Two compressors and enough kit to strip a tanker, the boot lid was stripped. :lol:

DSC_0363_zpse70e04cd.jpg

DSC_0340_zpsc486580f.jpg

DSC_0359_zpse98b69c1.jpg

All that to achieve this...... :surrender:

DSC_0357_zps08625fac.jpg

Just finishing a cup of tea and some hob nobs and back in the garage to prime it. Must be mad. :wacko:

• Like 1

Looks like great progress from last week mate!

I've done next to nothing with mine this weekend. All day session in Manchester yesterday, and all day trying to recover from a horrific hangover today. :drunk:

Actually, through bleary eyes my brother and I had another look at the starter.... he still thinks its a battery problem. Dont suppose you've got a drop tester have you? I dont fancy buying a new battery to find out for sure...!

Bradders, your dad's looks great. As Darren says, it's only at the primer stage. I can only dream of the day it actually has a coat of colour, something way beyond my capabilities. Primer is very forgiving and makes even a novice like me look good.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

• Like 1

That is starting to look the part now mate :thumbs:

Fair play the hours (and hours and hours) you have put into this project are starting to show rewards :thumbs:

I even had 2 updates to read this time as I somehow missed one :scare:

Keep up the good work :notworthy:

• Like 1

Just to finish off the last post, the boot lid is now primed ready for flatting down and more fine tuning.

DSC_0367_zps65db8576.jpg

Given that I want to strip the engine and recondition various parts I booked myself onto the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club XK engine seminar held at the Jaguar Factory at Castle Bromwich. It was a great day and I met a few fellow enthusiasts. I had to smile in that on the whole, they all seemed to be of a certain age and match the JAAAAAAG stereotype. :lol: Anyway a very informative lecture and quite a lot learnt.

DSC_0387_zpsd1c92d8e.jpg

DSC_0379_zps22bdc786.jpg

We even got to have a look at the new XE in the flesh. Unfortunately for me as per a recent thread by someone, I cant say I was wowed by it. They did have an "S" version that was all covered up and we only got a glimpse of that. That looked better though but alas no photos allowed.

DSC_0373_zpse5c0d952.jpg

DSC_0376_zps9f0c90f8.jpg

Lovely F type R in the factory showroom though....... B)

DSC_0384_zps24c4eb3d.jpg

DSC_0380_zpsdb82f334.jpg

DSC_0385_zps8cb1242c.jpg

Back home now and more rubbing down!

Edited by leonk

On a serious note, one of the things the seminar did highlight was the dangers of the new green trend of adding ethanol to petrol. this is something the government has signed up to as part of an EU initiative.

The problem is the damage this stuff does to your engine and fuel system, especially to older cars. From what I could gather from the talk, was that ethanol absorbs water and becomes highly corrosive. One guy there in the questions and answers section at the end who worked in the fuel industry said that they delay putting the stuff in the tankers as long as possible because of the damage it causes. One of the lecturers warned that they were seeing more and more cases of expensive fuel systems and carbs destroyed by the fuel especially in cars stood for any amount of time. He pointed out an example of a V12 Jaguar that it had caused nearly 10k worth of damage to. :scare:

The only answer to it at the moment seems to be to completely drain down the fuel system if the car is not used.

Now not only do I have to worry about the humidity and rust but the bl**dy government conspiring to destroy my car! :surrender::lol:

Edited by leonk
  • Like 2

:scare: :scare: :scare:

I know. Not too much of a concern for modern cars with plastic tanks and fuel systems designed to cope with the stuff and used frequently but a major problem with older cars in this country, especially if left to stand for long periods. What annoys me is they put health warnings on most things nowadays but there is nothing on the pumps to say "this might kill your classic car"

Every pump you use in this country be it super dooper premium V or standard now has ethanol in it.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get a bit done over Christmas, so a few pics to update things. The main bodyshell, ie the back end of the car is now all pretty much primed and prepped. A few small areas to sort but nothing major. Boot lid and both doors primed and ready.

Passenger door.

DSC_0397_zps66c5d634.jpg

DSC_0411_zps58bd08a5.jpg

I wasn't happy with the condition of the original little alloy blocks that locate the chrome door trims so made new ones. That represents a days work trial fitting the doors and cappings. Every single piece of chrome, rubber trim or fixing has to be trial fitted several times because the last thing I want to be doing is adjusting stuff or forcing it to fit when it is finally painted!

DSC_0436_zps00f48733.jpg

Inside the petrol flap on e types is always a good indication of the quality of a restoration as it's a pain to get into so often gets ignored.

DSC_0438_zpsdfba34a9.jpg

Finally I've made another smaller dolly for when the shell comes off the Rotisserie. This will enable me to access the bulk head to fit the new engine frames and ultimately the bonnet. The bonnet however is a long way off yet. A big thanks to Chris ( Marzman ) again for helping lift it.

As the bonnet is half the car, you could say I'm about half way with the body now. It's only taken me a year!

DSC_0465_zps34e06280.jpg

DSC_0473_zps86f77360.jpg

I've made this so that when the underside is painted hopefully there will be less chance of scratching the paint underneath lifting the shell on and off. For this I've made seperate brackets that bolt to the chassis legs and suspension pick up.

DSC_0470_zps59deb6d1.jpg

DSC_0472_zps04c4ebda.jpg

Cheers Doogy.

Darren, definitely the way forward, now the shell can be taken on and off the dolly without worrying about the paint on the underside. I've also made it so that the full rear suspension and diff can be raised up into the painted shell while still on the dolly. The cross braces are removable for access too for fuel and brake lines etc. Just as a word of warning, I went for bigger wheels than the rotisserie as while great on the garage floor, loading it into the transporter and at the blasters was difficult. 350kg per wheel, braked, swivelling and with bearings all 4 for £65 delivered on ebay.

Thought that wasn't bad.

• Like 1