Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Any more on this Leon? :)

Fitting and aligning the bonnet is unfortunately a three man job and given that it needs to be fitted and removed heaven knows how many times, dragging friends, family and neighbours round every time I wanted to trial fit it was becoming more and more demanding. I therefore had to devise an alternative that would allow a one man operation, so in the spirit of keep calm and carry on, adapt and overcome I constructed a "simple" ( 2 weekends! ) pulley system that allows me to lower the bonnet onto the frames millimeter by millimeter. Whats more it works a treat.

DSC_1246_zpsoee0dlnn.jpg

New engine frames fitted and lined up perfectly which was a huge relief.

DSC_1256_zps7wdh3540.jpg

DSC_1255_zpslxsulfmr.jpg

Bonnet on and shimmed up but still needs a LOT of work to fine tune all the gaps, but IT'S ON!!!!!

DSC_1251_zpso9hsruxr.jpg

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

Ha - That is awesome and that's just the pulley system :thumbs:

Nice to see the Bonnet in place as well, it looks amazing mate.

Keep up the good work, it will be winter all to soon and you are all set for long evenings of fun bolting bits back on :)

• Like 1

Cheers guys, the pulley system is absolutely brilliant, even if I say so myself. Took the bonnet off single handed three times last night without any dramas. Now no need to rely on my son who for some reason seems more interested in his new girlfriend! Oh to be young again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount to report.

I have mainly spent hours and hours getting a pound coin to fit between the bulkhead and the bonnet. This involves adding or removing shims on the hinges and locking catches adjusting it..............over and over again!

DSC_1271_zpsnhq0ccv2.jpg

The problem was that once I got it fitting on one side to the sill, the other side was miles out. I managed to build the edge up by 2mm on the drivers side but ended up completely remaking the passenger side. The main problem with the bonnet is that it is a single skin of metal that is seen on both sides so it has to be very neatly butt welded, ground up and then panel beaten back into shape. Any high spots have then to be heated up and beaten/shrunk back down. (hence heat marks on pic) Effin nightmare!

Anyway, finally getting there.

DSC_1272_zpswwhgngjp.jpg

DSC_1273_zps4y5k8cwq.jpg

DSC_1275_zpsc3wtb14y.jpg

After all this, I felt I deserved some retail therapy and treated myself to these. Just worried they will be out of guarantee by the time I fit them. :lol:

DSC_1270_zpssqqx7s5l.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I've been working away a lot recently so just haven't had the chance to get anything done. The stage I'm at with the bonnet really requires two or three full days to prep it and prime it rather than a couple of hours here and there. Everytime I take something back to bare metal it has to be primed straight away to avoid flash rusting. Added to this I've decided to send the engine away to be fully rebuilt with a works gas flowed big valve head I managed to acquire. Hopefully I will have more time in the new year. A bit frustrating really. Thanks for asking and bearing with me.

Edited by leonk

• 1 month later...

No Jaaaaaag updates for ages :(

The bonnet is unfortunately still work in progress. All the panel gaps are now nearly as I want them. Although in the previous pics of the bonnet it looks ok, the truth is that there is a long, LONG way to go. The next part is sorting out nearly 50 years of little dings and marks as well as the small repairs I have done. Every part of the bonnet seems to be a curve, meaning that while this is part of the car's appeal and indeed prompted Enzo Ferrari to describe it as "the most beautiful car ever made", it is an absolute nightmare to block and sand the high build primer and keep a smooth surface. I now have a huge selection of soft, semi soft sanding blocks in a multitude of shapes and curves. I would say the outer part of the bonnet is now 60% there. Once that's finished, I've got to do the same on the inside :wacko:

Have a look at the bonnet vents, I'm still not happy they are all parallel. Anyway a few pics, to show that I have actually been doing something. Hopefully the updates this year should be more frequent, as I am determined to get it in paint come what may!

Thanks to all those who are still following :thumbs:

DSC_1431_zps2iew3d2x.jpg

DSC_1432_zpsqldksivq.jpg

DSC_1438_zpsqgwdwewj.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement guys :thumbs: At this rate it will be the longest (timewise) build thread on here. :lol: For those who have joined in the last 3 years, I did have a Zed once, honest.

Nice to see your still pressing on with this, I'm watching the classifieds at the moment awaiting my next project to find its way to me, glad to see that your now playing with the high build primer. I don't envy you

Darren was pulling his hair out block sanding his 240z, I only spent an afternoon with him, kudos to you Leon, patience of a saint sir!! :thumbs::clap:

I'll be honest and say there have been several times when I could have done a Basil Fawlty and beaten it senseless with a tree branch. :blush::lol:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by leonk
  • Like 2

Am still following with great interest.

My next door neighbour c1969 had one and I am certain his panel gaps weren't that consistent :lol: He had everything, the E-Type, a very lovely wife and lots of cash (he was in the print). He was a nice guy as well - often gave me rides from one place to another - I cannot tell you how impressed I was (I had a Standard 10 at the time).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As promised in the New Years Resolutions post back in January, I'm doing everything possible to get the shell in paint this summer. With this in mind I went to see a body shop that was recommended in Stoke on Trent http://www.pfautos.com/gallery.php

What a fantastic place, have a look through their gallery section. I spent nearly an hour and a half there being shown finished cars and ones in progress. We have agreed a slot in late July subject to inspecting my shell at my house and confirming the price. These guys are happy to finish/remedy any problems with the shell until I am happy with it an sign it off for final paint. This is in contrast to a more local Bodyshop who I got the impression wanted it practically ready for the top coat. I now need to get all the panels back on so they can inspect it in a couple of weeks. All in all I'm much happier to hand it over to them. The downside is it will be more than double what I had budgeted for but it would really really annoy me having to live with marks or ripples in the paint. Bear in mind I want the underside of the bonnet and indeed underside of the car to look as good as the top.

It also means there is an end to all the bl**dy blocking and flatting down in sight!

So more blocking and priming in the hope that when they see it they don't laugh and add another 3 weeks to the price....

DSC_1485_zpsracquby8.jpg

DSC_1484_zpsbeicaitf.jpg

The big flexi tube above that looks like something out of Breaking Bad is a dust extraction system I had to install just to keep on top of all the rubbing down dust.

And I've finally got the passenger side vents right...

DSC_1481_zps4wiynlon.jpg

• Like 4

Yes a very good place and about 5 minutes from where I live .

Cheers, they came recommended and seem much more knowledgeable than the other place with regards to classic cars, panel gaps and trial fitting everything several times. If they are only 5 minutes from you, you'll have to call in and check up on it! Haha. Just come in from the garage after doing a bit more. Thanks everyone for the kind comments and still following.

Excellent mate, glad you found someone that at least seems like they have as much interest in the finished product as you do :thumbs:

Hope the inspection goes well matey - prolly knock a week off it's that close :)

Keep up the good work!

Still following with interest :teeth::D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More progress and I didn't have to go back into the first post and edit the month, things must be looking up.

Doors, bootlid and bonnet back on. Paul from PF Autos came round tonight to inspect the shell and to my great relief said everything I'd done was to a high standard. He actually commented that he wasn't expecting it to be this far forward in terms of prep and panel gaps so pretty pleased all round. In a bid to try to keep costs down I was intending to paint the colour on the inside of the car myself in areas that are covered by carpet and maybe put the car back on the rotisserie to do the stonechip protection underneath. We have now agreed that Paul will do the whole car inside and out and refit the engine frames, bonnet, doors and bootlid after paint thus reducing the chance of damaging things, This way I get a complete paneled up painted shell back. All in all a very positive meeting that takes the pressure off me in an area that I was really worried I might mess up and ruin the finished job. Happy days!

Paul is calling me tomorrow to confirm a date June/July and the shell will be with them for 3 to 4 weeks which will give me chance to clean all the dust off everthing in the garage.

In the meantime an end to panel gapping...............and more importantly NO MORE RUBBING DOWN!!!!!! :wacko::yahoo:

DSC_1501_zpsutddqpw3.jpg

DSC_1503_zpsyfvkdx5w.jpg

DSC_1506_zpsxko9wkrb.jpg

Edited by leonk
  • Like 5