Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Firstly let me remind you ( and myself ) of my parting comment on the June post. "Hopefully the passenger outer sill should be easier now I've done one."

It was an absolute swine! For some reason, I struggled to get every thing to line up, but after much trial and error and walking away , it all came together.

I now have two sills on the car!

Two months condensed into five pictures.

Trying to line it all up.

DSC_0098_zpsfd9d54f9.jpg

Door gap

DSC_0095_zps21022384.jpg

Repair to rear wing.

DSC_0096_zpsb6a63a50.jpg

A post repair (getting to know all the tech terms now to give the impression I actually know what I'm doing :p )

DSC_0101_zps3ed3490a.jpg

Please excuse the untidy garage frantically getting ready for primer.

DSC_0102_zps3c1b3878.jpg

DSC_0105_zps87bf9070.jpg

DSC_0106_zpsf1075918.jpg

With that done I finally got chance to finish the blasting cabinet, and more importantly, the extraction. Without this it was like a mini sand storm!

DSC_0196_zpsbc0a857c.jpg

Big enough to get large suspension bits in or a 19" wheel.

DSC_0195_zpse803ac1f.jpg

Blasting a new sill end ready for spot welding.

DSC_0194_zps538695f9.jpg

And clamping up ready for spot welding in later tonight.

DSC_0199_zps8c97a1cc.jpg

A special thanks to those following, the gentle digs and prods for progress reports.

• Like 1

Very interesting to watch ~ can be a nightmare getting the lines correct on these builds so kudos for all the hard work. :)

Thanks, it's one of the things I'm really fussy about. I want all the gaps spot on and the doors etc to close with a gentle push and clunk. I have seen a lot of restored cars where you have to slam the doors shut because the rubbers are pushing them out. I am beginning to see why the likes of Eagle and Hutsons have to charge what they do just in sheer man hours.

Remember the impressive, even if I say so myself repair to the rear lower passenger wing? Well some numpty (me) forgot that it has a special drain hole/tube in the bottom of it. It allows water from the fuel cap recess and the boot lid recess to escape. As several months, possibly getting on for a year elapsed between cutting the old one out and fitting the new repair piece, it was overlooked. This could have been a very costly b*lls up if it had gone for paint and not been spotted. :blush:

You can not buy the drain tube on its own, you have to buy the whole rear lower quarter it is attached to, £140 :surrender: Stuff that.

Fortunately I keep everything that has been taken off the car even if I think it might be scrap.

The original is just two bits of mild steel tube that are brazed to a hole in the boot floor just behind the rear wheel exactly where any road muck would be thrown up and block it! As you can see from the picture this then rots from the inside out and spreads into the lower rear quarter.

I set about making a new one from stainless tube and have managed to weld that in without damaging the surrounding epoxy primer.

That was all day Sunday for those of you who are wondering why it's taking so long :p

DSC_0223_zps60be122f.jpg

Thanks to another E bay bargain, namely welding blankets, I've managed to minimise any damage from weld splatter.

DSC_0225_zpse65df358.jpg

With that done, I've made a small start on seam sealing the underside and sorting any minor imperfections with polyester stopper. Yes you read it right, the underside of the car. Attention to detail or just a bit sad, you decide.....

DSC_0229_zpsac8adec9.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments.

Got home from work to find my engine stand had arrived. This should be a big help for stripping and cleaning the engine and diff unit. The diff is now separated from he rest of the rear suspension but this throws up another dilema. The American cars were fitted with a 3.54 LSD diff which gave great acceleration at the cost of reving high at higher speeds. The UK cars were fitted with a 3.07 diff to compensate for this and more importantly achieving the magic 150mph in fourth. Still impressive enough today, but that was back in 1961.

Unfortunately these 3.07 diffs are like rocking horse do do.

Plan B is to fit a purpose made 5 speed gearbox as fitted to Eagle E types but that would mean another big expense.

Anyway that's a decision for another day. In the meantime I've finished the end of the sill from the previous pics, and done another section of seam sealing.

Engine stand,

DSC_0239_zpsa73ec3a1.jpg

Priming and seam sealing,

DSC_0234_zpscf43d161.jpg

DSC_0240_zps93009f2d.jpg

Finally, every JAAAAAAG owner's enemy. Recently I have become paranoid about the moisture content in the air and its potential for causing rust. As well as the heating and dehumidifier in the garage, I have humidity meters in the car port, and garage. Fortunately, I'm managing to keep the garage at a maximum of 50% but the other night in the car port I got 92%. A big thanks to all those who advised when I posted about dehumidifiers. I have actually noticed a big difference working in there now. The second pic is I managed to get it to for spraying so really pleased. A professional spray booth would be nice but that might, no, would end in divorce :p

Car port

DSC_0218_zpsb8967ef3.jpg

Garage

DSC_0231_zpsf1ce4f15.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Edited by leonk

• 4 weeks later...

Another late night in the garage. I tried to take some pictures to show the previous damage to the drivers door skin but they didn't turn out too well.

Having fitted and painted the new sill and finished the A and B posts, the drivers door kept annoying me every time I fitted it. I could have re filled it but knowing how I am it would always be playing on my mind that it was full of filler and I should have replaced it when I had the chance.

I have never fitted a door skin before and quite frankly kept putting it off.

Fortunately You tube along with tutorials on open heart surgery have lots of stuff on door skins. The guys at Hutsons Jaguar who I have bought a lot of parts from have been great too and very kindly showed me one being done in their workshop.

Unfortunately as I was concentrating so hard on not messing it up I have no pics of the process just the end result.

So a few pics of the door skin on, getting all the gaps right YET AGAIN!!! , primed and re fitted.

DSC_0272_zpsc01ba3a5.jpg

DSC_0281_zps35d4a28c.jpg

DSC_0278_zps7b3fa13b.jpg

A bit of weld added to the B post to get the gap right and re primed....

1411428383059_zps3fbe7a32.jpg

And finally refitted and gapped up. Glad I did it now.

DSC_0285_zps4a016f27.jpg

Slow progress but progress never the less. :)

Edited by leonk
  • Like 3

Looks spot on. Can't really be your first one surely???

First one! The guy at Hutsons was brilliant and really patient with my daft questions and actually taking time to show me one. Even though that was my first, still not sure about doing another. It took me three weekends and a few nights including making a wooden carpet lined jig for the door frame, but mainly drinking coffee and scratching my head.

Looks spot on mate :thumbs:

A lot of people have forgotten to weld the window retainers to the inside of the skin before they fit it, then you have to take it all apart and do it again!!! :scare:

Glad your on the case :thumbs:

Did your heart skip a beat? did it? did it? bet it did :p

Sorry I'm such a git at times :sorry:

Great work - keep the updates coming however small :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1