Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Cheers guys :)

Another quick update. Body shell back home and picked up the new engine frames yesterday. Sorry about the photo quality on the frames, the project has now overflowed into the house much to my wife's disapproval!

DSC_0037_zpsc387186b.jpg

Frames

DSC_0045_zpsd9990d5a.jpg

Now can't wait for the weekend to get stuck in.

• Like 1

This is awesome!

I love reading proper build threads like this. Hats off to you for undertaking such an arduous task.

I can imagine the feeling of pride when you stand back and admire the finished article.

I've got a Frog Eyed Sprite I'm hoping to do the same with. It was completely rebuilt back in 1986 so fingers crossed it won't be as much of a mission as the above.....he says....... :sweat:

25k4h9x.jpg

• Like 2

This is awesome!

I love reading proper build threads like this. Hats off to you for undertaking such an arduous task.

I can imagine the feeling of pride when you stand back and admire the finished article.

I've got a Frog Eyed Sprite I'm hoping to do the same with. It was completely rebuilt back in 1986 so fingers crossed it won't be as much of a mission as the above.....he says....... :sweat:

25k4h9x.jpg

This post is useless without a new build thread :stir:
  • Like 2

Glad to see your updates mate :) coming along now. Gutting about the engine frames. Looking good with the body shell blasted and primed.

You've got some dedication! Can't wait to see it coming together and I bet it'll look amazing once it's done.

• Like 1

Mini update.

Despite work and family conspiring against me, I've still managed to get a bit done. The car came back to me from Colin the blasting guy in epoxy primer. The sills were deliberately left off along with a couple of repairs to the rear lower arches to allow them to thoroughly de rust these areas and prime inside the sills for extra rust protection.

I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed to get set up for re priming any additional repairs or panels, ideally with the same epoxy primer.

A big thanks to Chris ( Keyser ) for taking the time to give me some advice. Nozzle sizes, cleaning guns etc.

Buying new tools is always fun. :D

"All the gear and no idea......."

DSC_0050_zpsb6d82161.jpg

Now to repair the rear lower arch area. If you look back to page one this is how it all started two years ago.

DSC_0053_zps9f7ce5b8.jpg

The reason for leaving this until after blasting is that the inner arch and outer arch trap moisture here so plenty of zinc weld through primer...

DSC_0057_zps1df52b08.jpg

Spot welder so it looks original ( My best E bay bargain )

DSC_0060_zpsa1bf32d4.jpg

A little bit more fetling and hopefully very little lead or filler required.

DSC_0062_zps125107e5.jpg

Then made a start on the inner sill strengtheners. These were only fitted by Jaguar to the racing E types but are now standard fitment by Eagle and Hutsons, so if they are good enough for a £250k Eagle E type. Not sure if I need to pixelate the next picture to avoid copyright infringement :blush:

DSC_0051_zpsd65fabcd.jpg

I wanted to do a bit of priming but hate starting something I haven't got a clue about last think at night and am waiting to get some disposable mixing pots to get the mix ratios right.

That's all for the moment. The next big job will be fitting the outer sill which has to be lined up to the door. I want to spend as much time as it takes to get the gaps absolutely right.

Thanks for the encouragement and watching.

Edited by leonk

I decided I couldn't put the priming off any longer so armed with Keyser's advice, endless YouTube videos and a strong coffee I set to. What I hadn't anticipated is just how messy even getting started is. Plus you need some sort of flat surface to test the initial mix / spray set up on. Added to this, I was in a flap about how long I had once the activator was added. The best purchase was the mixing cups, 50 for a fiver. Originally I was going to use a Pyrex jug.

DSC_0069_zps94d89497.jpg

First was inside the sills, I figured that if I made a mess of this no one would see it and it is more of a rust prevention coat than a finish for a top coat. This went on a bit too thick so it was a matter of adding a bit more thinners.

DSC_0071_zps6881fc34.jpg

By this stage I had found a sheet of kingspan insulation to test my mix on. It's not like an aerosol, the gun has three adjustments (maybe more :wacko: )

pressure, spray pattern and paint / air mix. I just kept twiddling knobs :lol:

Anyway after more testing and worrying the paint was going to set solid in the gun, I managed this.

DSC_0065_zpsce87d9e6.jpg

Pretty pleased really but a lot more practice needed. I need to seam seal all the internal floor joints so that should be a good area to practice more on.

• Like 2

:clap:

Can't say you are afraid to have a go :thumbs:

Looks better than my first attempts as well :) Looking good mate, your mixing area looks like mine - the only extras I have is 2 big plastic milk bottles and a wilkinson plastic mixing bowl.

The milk bottles are for gun wash - I found it doesn't dissolve them - some plastics it will, I use the mixing bowl to take the gun apart in and wash it out properly.

The other thing I have is an old drill with a whisk attachment (stolen from the wife's food processor) makes mixing the paint/primer easy.

Keep the updates coming - I have actually done something paint related on mine so I will get a post up soon :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

More progress, the drivers sill is now on. This was a major pain as the door has to be trial fitted and the front lower wing offered up to get all the gaps perfect. Every time you get one bit lined up, it alters another part :angry: In the end I had to go and buy yet more clamps.

Once the sill was on I could repair the bottom of the A post.

DSC_0082_zpsfdbcabe9.jpg

I'm getting a little bit more confident with the priming now however a little over confidence did result in a small run. Lesson learnt, if you do get a run don't try to cover it up with more yet more paint, you just get a bigger run :blush: Wait til it's dried, sand it down and re do it.

DSC_0093_zps0a0de965.jpg

The eagle eyed may notice the spot welds at the front end of the sill. Just like the factory :D Really pleased with that. The spot welder is definitely my favourite toy.

Made a start on the passenger side sill strengthener and primed it. Hopefully the passenger outer sill should be easier now I've done one. Oh and Chris (Marzman) next time you call round for a brew, bring your scruffy clothes :p

DSC_0094_zps45ade07b.jpg

That's all for now folks and thanks for following.

Looking good mate, looks like I'm going to have to sell before I finish. Kids going to nursery has kept up quicker than I could finish.

That's a shame mate. To be honest it's only now mine has grown up I can afford to do stuff like this.

Made a start on the passenger side sill strengthener and primed it. Hopefully the passenger outer sill should be easier now I've done one. Oh and Chris (Marzman) next time you call round for a brew, bring your scruffy clothes :p

Thanks for having me round bud, i've got to say i was really impressed with your attention to detail and how well you've progressed with it. I think i'd have spit my dummy by now if this were mine.

Next time i will definitely bring my scruffy clothes!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...