Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Well,..........they've started putting colour on the car!!!!

Sorry for the delay, but the bodyshop's paint sprayer's wife decided to go into labour just before they were due to start painting the shell. 2 weeks paternity leave and a week catching up with other jobs but back on track now. I called there this morning to find the underside painted so really pleased. 2 to 3 more days painting then the same again flatting and polishing and I can have the car back.

The delay has actually helped me out as I now have gas central heating in the garage along with a bit of a makeover and de dust. My wife says I can move in there, and you know what I might just do that. :lol:

Progress so far.

DSC_1748_zpsx5g0xisa.jpg

DSC_1751_zpsxqruloeg.jpg

There'll be a few members who would move in with you AND pay for the privielege!! ;)
  • Like 1

On the subject of the garage, the makeover is nearly done. Here's one for Doogy and Keyser.

Having made the bench on the left, (see earlier post), I decided to make a bigger one, again drawers and decal from E bay. The most expensive bit was the beech block top that unfortunately I had to buy 2m of this time.

DSC_1737_zpsm5u73osu.jpg

DSC_1768_zpsp0wf3se8.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Chris, the drawers on the small one were from a damaged toolbox on eBay and the ones on the big one are out of the racking in a van again E bay. Both have ball bearing runners but I'm particularly pleased with the big ones as they are really sturdy. I then made up a frame with 50mm box sections steel. The side panels are 18mm mfc board from work. It's the stuff they make shop counters and displays from. Decal and castors from E bay again.

I think the big one should be useful for things like the seats, hood, bumpers, etc.

Edited by leonk

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the big day is near. They are delivering the shell back tomorrow. I've been busy getting the garage clean and ready. I can't believe how much dust the bodywork had created. In the best 60 minute makeover fashion....

Before

DSC_1660_zpsvyhazppl.jpg

After

DSC_1792_zpsanz9l7w3.jpg

Back to the Jaaaaaag, I've managed to shot blast all the front suspension and get it zinc and nickel plated. I'm really pleased with these and will be sending more stuff to the platers. The e type was very advanced in that the suspension is fully adjustable for camber, castor and ride height. Lovely bit of engineering.

DSC_1785_zpsnaga3lye.jpg

DSC_1786_zpsmgc6mwtr.jpg

• Like 1

:scare: all that plastic rubbing the gorgeous new paint!

Great to see it home.

Don't start, I'm already a nervous wreck even thinking about touching it. The plastic is super thin and what the bodyshop provided. The next job is to cover any vulnerable bits with the soft 2.5mm foam for working on it. There is part of me that wants to crack on and start putting bits back on and the half that says don't touch it you'll f#ck something up. :lol:

I've got Chris (Keyser) voice in my head saying " man up and get on with it " :lol:

• Like 3

Great to see it home.

Don't start, I'm already a nervous wreck even thinking about touching it. The plastic is super thin and what the bodyshop provided. The next job is to cover any vulnerable bits with the soft 2.5mm foam for working on it. There is part of me that wants to crack on and start putting bits back on and the half that says don't touch it you'll f#ck something up. :lol:

I've got Chris (Keyser) voice in my head saying " man up and get on with it " :lol:

Don't listen to him he has no idea what he's taking about, I mean have you ever seen him put anything meaningful together?😇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You probably know this already leonk but thought I'd mention it anyway that you may find you'll need to re-tap a lot of the threads on the body were it was painted, ...that is if the bodyshop didn't plug the holes with old bolts.

I used to restore classic cars in a car restorers in Cardiff years ago so have been in your shoes many times albeit never my own car alas as they were always customer cars (mainly MG's but also a few Astons, a couple of Austin Healeys & Triumphs for good measure). ;)

Have fun and look forward to reading more. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Man up and get on with it!

Great to see you are ready for the next stage and she is back with you at last :thumbs:

Like the makeover the wall cupboards doors changed colour and multiplied just with a good clean :lol:

Keep the updates coming B)

Great to see it home.

Don't listen to him he has no idea what he's taking about, I mean have you ever seen him put anything meaningful together?😇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oi Grandpa you don't see nothing cause you is old and your eyesight is failing init!

Besides I put an MFI cupboard up a few years back does that not count?

• Like 1