Flip key - nearly sorted

jamesyj

Ok new blanks available is good to know. Have to say it could well be the lack of quality cutters. We got a house key done a year or so back using a blank from the store that cut it. And it was a dodgy fit, you had to wiggle it in the lock to get it to work.

I got my second one today after the cutter bodged up the first one. Tried a different key cutting place and had the same excuses about ebay stuff, not their own blades etc, shouldn't really touch it. But after some discussion he gave it a go, and thankfully was successful. It just takes a bit of expertise to set it up on the machine properly, as the grooves in the blade are a different length to the original they have to start freehand as it were. Best thing was he didn't charge me in case it didn't fit, so it has only cost me the replacement.

Other thing is, I don't know if it's a later '08 key thing or not, but the transponder is incorporated into the circuit board, so there was no need for blue tac or anything, just a straight swap. Works perfectly, Nissan badge on one side, just needs RTB to fashion a Nismo badge for the other side now. Long time coming.........result.

Just bought one! Literally read the old thread last week about the last attempt at this. Came across this - and bought one straight away before everyone jumps on the band wagon!

I did notice it was Buy it Now or best offer, did anyone get it cheaper than 14.99?

£14.00 offered £13 and got a counter offer back

Dont pay More! :p unless your feeling generous.

• Like 1

Other thing is, I don't know if it's a later '08 key thing or not, but the transponder is incorporated into the circuit board, so there was no need for blue tac or anything, just a straight swap. Works perfectly, Nissan badge on one side, just needs RTB to fashion a Nismo badge for the other side now. Long time coming.........result.

Yeah mine is an 07 and had the same thing, I assume its HR's with the incorporated transponder. I thought I must have lost it at first as I did mine on the way to work on the train. So I opened up my other remote key and it was the same... Phew!

As others have said though, it does feel a little lighter than what you'd expect from the size of it.

Ok job done and great result! Key cut well first time (pm me if you're in Bournemouth/Christchurch area if you want details), so no issues there and guy was really friendly and wasn't reluctant to cut it. Obviously he said he can't guarantee it given an ebay item. As for weight, I found that it was ok as was plus I have a gorgeous key ring for it which adds a little weight!

Ok, so all in all it took about 45 minutes of fiddling about (with the key that is) but did have a problem with the unlock button sticking. You will see in the photos that I had to use super glue to kind of add to the platform for the circuit board. I just cut a couple off bits off the button surround (as this doesn't fit properly, and thought originally that this could be the problem) and stuck this the the platform that is already there. Note the circuit board needs to rest on top of this.

Transponder is easily glued in to place (similar location to the oem key). You don't need to use much here as it wedges quite nicely itself. Major fiddly bit is the spring. Simply ensure it is located correctly in the button, fit the back side on and rotate the back side in the direction that the key needs to go (anti-clockwise) as you look from the back of the key.

I used the oem buttons as the new ones look like the decals will wear off pretty quickly. Burger stuck on and it's a massive improvement to the oem key, finally a half descent looking flip key for the zed :teeth:

Noob question but how do you add pics to a post? I tried copy/paste but it "doesn't allow that extension in this community" :notworthy:

Cool key..never understand why manufacturers dont make Flip Keys..They dont

make holes in your pocket...My S500 had a flip key 10 years ago... :thumbs:

Mercs havent had flip keys? w220's didnt. They had a detachable key but you rarely use that?

Cant wait for a guide.

I can assure you DBlock my S500 has a flip key...its sitting on my desk in front of me, I dont need to go to Specsavers just yet...!!! :blush: :blush:

Got myself one of these too.

key was cut no problems, feels just like the original.

A bit fiddly to get it back together but well worth it, I also used the original buttons from my standard key, they fit perfectly and as someone mentioned above, I think the symbols would have worn off the other buttons quickly.

I also got the little replacement nissan badges from ebay. Overall, fantastic little mod for less than £20!

005CFDEC-4E5D-411E-88EC-12B7595FE806-2473-000000B7C7F1F5B9_zpse259ec38.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For anyone who has theirs a while could you let me know if the unit is getting a little loose and wobbly (key part). I bought a similar unit for a Mitsubishi i had and after a while the whole spring flip gave up and was just loose, the plastic had basically worn around the mechanism so was no way to repair.

Hopefully these are sturdier!!

For anyone who has theirs a while could you let me know if the unit is getting a little loose and wobbly (key part). I bought a similar unit for a Mitsubishi i had and after a while the whole spring flip gave up and was just loose, the plastic had basically worn around the mechanism so was no way to repair.

Hopefully these are sturdier!!

Have had mine since about same time as this thread started. Been used every day and it is as sturdy now as the day I got it.

David