Flip key - nearly sorted

jamesyj

could even make a nismo decal to go in the little square indent on the side.

I ike that idea!

I've just ordered one with the hope the key blade is strong and can be cut (not the end of the world if it isn't at the purchase price), I assume I could send you mine and you send me a suitable dipped/Nismo one (in return for a charge of course!).

David

I ike that idea!

I've just ordered one with the hope the key blade is strong and can be cut (not the end of the world if it isn't at the purchase price), I assume I could send you mine and you send me a suitable dipped/Nismo one (in return for a charge of course!).

David

thats more than possible, yes it would be a reduced charge as you would be exchanging the key case.

That sounds ideal. I had a look for suitable badging, and not wanting a Nissan badge, there wasn't anything available in the 'Z' or 'Nismo' area. So definitely interested, I thought the oblong recess looked like a suitable location. Nice one RTB.

You reckon you could do a Z burger badge for the front RT?

I appreciate its probably the most fiddle thing in the world.

Basically, this badge http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-370Z-Z-BADGE-EMBLEM-FAIRLADY-NISMO-/130839455951?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e76a3a8cf

But for the key like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Nissan-Emblem-Badge-Logo-For-Remote-Key-Fob-Case-/200892027865?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2ec61913d9

That would be very smart.

I tried my key (uncut) in the ignition earlier, it won't foul on any of the ignition cowling, miles of space.

Should be a job well done when the key is cut.

I'd certainly be interested to see the outcome of these. A similar thing with flip keys happened on the Mazda forum I frequent, the problem was the the quality of the key blade was really poor and they were prone to snapping off in the ignition. It was also found that some key cutters wouldnt cut them incase it wasnt right.

If someone could specifically look at the quality and strength of the keyblade it would be useful to know that they are ok...... otherwise Alex might be getting lots of orders for lock sets!

Kev

Ok, I messaged the seller via ebay today with this:-

Hi,

I have some concerns about the strength of the key blade, would you confirm what material the blade is made from, the last thing I want is the blade snapping off in the ignition key barrel.

Thanks and regards

His reply:-

Hi,

Sorry am not sure, we sell many blades and as of yet not had any issues with blades snapping!!

Regards

:snack:

Basically, this badge http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-370Z-Z-BADGE-EMBLEM-FAIRLADY-NISMO-/130839455951?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e76a3a8cf

But for the key like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Nissan-Emblem-Badge-Logo-For-Remote-Key-Fob-Case-/200892027865?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2ec61913d9

I tried my key (uncut) in the ignition earlier, it won't foul on any of the ignition cowling, miles of space.

without sounding rude....no :lol: way to fiddly and small sorry

without sounding rude....no :lol: way to fiddly and small sorry

I thought it might be the worlds biggest faff in all fairness! :lol:

At last :teeth:

I first attempted this about 6 years ago :lol:

I remember it well. the flip key back then was for the US version which had the fob seperate from the key, right?

Yup.

I also tried with a few different VAG & Vauxhall fobs at the time but the internals were too big

I remember it well. the flip key back then was for the US version which had the fob seperate from the key, right?

Yup.

I also tried with a few different VAG & Vauxhall fobs at the time but the internals were too big

I had a problem with a VAG that was too big once :headhurt:

Yup.

I had a problem with a VAG that was too big once :headhurt:

Harry Potter Dave?

Slight niggle for me is that the unlock button can be activated due to pressure on the side of the fob that goes narrower.

Will have to see if my theory is correct that it is because its narrowing and they used the buttons which are the same as the original key which is usually a flat surface.

Will modify and get back to you ( good thing I bought two ;))

Right, took it apart and trimmed the button frame

59CC0DEF-2993-4F51-8D35-B4199480A135-88066-0000098BDAC24CE0_zps36ec3988.jpg

ADEBD6C0-82D1-4C52-BA85-26E0913F361C-88066-0000098BE4B3FA32_zpsb4f3e60c.jpg

Now there is nothing from the button frame going on the sloped bit

F06FEFFF-4504-4E43-8A4B-91826B2551C6-88066-0000098BEEA5AF5C_zpsa8e0e5d7.jpg

It has improved it somewhat, but if you press immediately to the right of the unlock button on the frame (see pic below),

then it will unlock, but you will have to press quite hard for it to do so.

4D300806-408B-4514-90D4-F9BF5BC5926E-88066-0000098C31CEDFF3_zpsf2f0d67b.jpg

I did put the key in my pocket and started to pat my pocket for about five minutes to see if it would unlock, but it didn't, which is good news :)

The lock button works fine and does not have any issues.

The whole unit is somewhat light, but I'm ok with that.

Key blade feels solid and the housing does not flex at all when turned in the ignition.

All in all I'm happy with it