Impulse purchases

Ekona

30 members have voted

1. 1. To buy, or not to buy?

• You've wanted it for years, do it
    • You've waited this long, wait until cash flow improves
    • Don't be daft

A question for you all, if I may be so bold.

There's a certain make and model of guitar out there that I've been keeping an eye on in the last year or so. I've wanted one since I very first saw one, which was before I could even play the guitar properly, so we're talking nearly 20 years here. I have a sudden and uncontrollable urge to buy one as soon possible. It's not mega money, only £600 or so, but it's money that I technically don't have right now so would need to be dropped on a credit card. I can think of better times to purchase it, but by the time that time comes I might be unable to find a good one.

I have other guitars here I can play, and to make it worse I don't even play them that much. I could sell a couple to fund the purchase, but they're a bit grubby and would need money spending on them to get them to a sellable point. I also don't like selling guitars as they have good memories for me.

So, the question is, do I or don't I? Any one else ever made a purchase of something they've longed for for years, and then regretted it? Or have I been this patient for so long that I really should just MTFU and get it as it's really not going to bankrupt me? Sensible and not to sensible thoughts please.:)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im afraid ive learnt im too impulsive and if there is something i like then it will bug me, i'll keep thinking about it and inevitably go buy it. Now i just accept it upfront and go buy it and enjoy rather than ponder and delay.Lifes too short go get it my son and have fun.

something that holds its value relatively well (which I gather this is one of those cases?).

Values haven't changed massively since I've been looking, so that's 20 years of stability.

Strat ? Les Paul ? Jackson ? PRS ?

I'm not saying 'cos if I do someone else might go and buy it :p I hate people that say that, but if I did mention the exact one it really wouldn't be too hard to find exactly what I'm looking at. It's a Fender though, and a limited edition that's no longer made.

you've wanted the new one for 12 months

I've wanted for for 20 years, only been looking for 12 months! :lol:

Hmmm, you lot appear to be more of a bad influence that I had suspected. Good for me, bad for credit card.

I did EXACTLY the same thing last year. Wanted a fender Jaguar ever since I first saw Kurt Cobain with one in the early 90's. never could afford one. I have a few other guitars, and like you don't even play them any more.

But last year I thought, **** it, treat yourself. So I bought myself one........have I played it much.........

No..............but do I regret getting it..........absolutely not!! I love it so much. Even just go and look at it sometimes.

Get it bought!

20130114_213148.jpg

20130114_213355.jpg

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

I always used to wait until I had saved enough funds before buying, but since having caught the deadly and highly contagious Zeditits Ive been whacking things on the credit card and worry about it later so to speak. As others have said life is way to short so make the most of it and spend it on things that make you happy. The Zed is my happy place :drive1

Edited by Humpy

I was going to say jaguar or jazzmaster as they've always intrigued me. Funny though I've always preferred a les paul (for the record I am SHITE at playing the guitar so don't let my name dropping fool you).

As for buying it on a credit cards.........stop being a dick it's a ****ing guitar.

Don't go into debt for something that can wait you lemon......you've waited 20 years, wait another 12 months (unless its an interest free card if course).

I was going to say jaguar or jazzmaster

I thought that to. I can't think of a more iconic guitar to sum up the 90's ( ie 20 years ago)

Also, I wouldn't say buying something after 20 years of wanting it, was an impulse buy.

That's what I old myself anyway. Lol

Love the Epiphone

I've got the blue one of that Dave. Looks like dis

_c444626_image_0.jpg

Are they as heavy as a Gibson LP Custom ?

Believe it or not my dad actually owned a 1956(?) les paul goldtop custom and swapped it for a Gibson SG as he said it nearly broke his neck it was that heavy.........last time we checked the goldtop would have been worth about 30k! Fail.

I don't think it would be as heavy as an original as that was the major complaint so they've prob lightened up the epi's. still a heavy bugger though