Bye Bye Jessops

How are companies like Richer Sounds fairing? From what I see they seem to be still doing really well against all the online retailers as they happily price match. I use them for no end of things as if im forking out 900quid on an amp or something, I want somewhere where I can walk in and take it back if theres any problems.

I thought HMV went down the pan ages ago as they shut loads of their stores, along with Zavvi and Virgin Mega Stores etc... but it looks like they may have just massively scaled their operations back as you still see the odd HMV here & there.

they haven't shut yet and the vouchers are still valid. there is still chance for a buyout. and as they have stock they will continue to trade.

once they know there will be no buyout and if no one takes the stock etc. then its a case of selling off the stock to pay the creditors. and possibly a comet style sale.

but seeing how the comet store near me got pillaged once the sales started by people who seemed to know before anyone else. i don;t hold out much luck for the jessops sale.

they haven't shut yet and the vouchers are still valid. there is still chance for a buyout. and as they have stock they will continue to trade.

The administrators (PWC) have already said that vouchers won't be honoured. However, I guess you may have some luck in store with sympathetic staff who are already expecting to lose their jobs.

but seeing how the comet store near me got pillaged once the sales started by people who seemed to know before anyone else. i don;t hold out much luck for the jessops sale.

went into our local comet expecting to find a few bargains ..............not a hope, their prices were still in excess of on-line stores - as an example, a shop soiled 18" monitor was going for over £100 - generally available for about £80 new :surrender: ditto a sysco broadband modem etc etc

No doubt there is going to be a big demise in retail shopping due to th internet, aided and abetted by property owners and Councils' charging silly money for rent and rates. In fact Council's ought to be paying motorists to part in town nowadays to bring in custom and retailers need to look very seriously at their pricing - interesting to see that John Lewis are one of the few retailers alive to the rapid change in consumer spending:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20889604

• Like 1

The Jessop Group Limited - in Administration

Edward Williams, Robert Jonathan Hunt and David Matthew Hammond were appointed as Joint Administrators ("Administrators") of The Jessop Group Limited on 9 January 2013.

Jessops is a major high-street retailer of photographic equipment and growing on-line business. Turnover in the year to 31 December 2012 was £236m and Jessops operated from 192 stores with around 2000 employees throughout the UK. It has a well-known brand, strong reputation for service and a significant national footprint.

However, its core marketplace has seen a significant decline in 2012 and forecasts for 2013 indicate that this decline would continue. In addition, the position deteriorated in the run up to Christmas as a result of reducing confidence in UK retail. Despite additional funding being made available to the company by the funders, this has meant that Jessops has not generated the profits it had planned with a consequent impact on its funding needs. This was exacerbated by a credit squeeze in the supplier base.

With effect from 11 January 2013, Jessops online and retail stores have ceased trading.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/business-recovery/administrations/jessop_group.jhtml

How are companies like Richer Sounds fairing? From what I see they seem to be still doing really well against all the online retailers as they happily price match. I use them for no end of things as if im forking out 900quid on an amp or something, I want somewhere where I can walk in and take it back if theres any problems.

We're doing great, thanks ;)

It's sad to see Jessops go though; we lost Jacobs camera stores last year too.

No doubt there is going to be a big demise in retail shopping due to th internet, aided and abetted by property owners and Councils' charging silly money for rent and rates.

Our local council has just decided to impose car parking charges up the road in Buckley..really its a joke as it'll just drive people away, I mean the place is like a ghost town now with hardly a mouth watering selection of shops. That's one of the problems with small towns close to larger towns, like in our case Chester or Wrexham if you don't make the place attractive to shoppers they'll go elsewhere, where parking is free :shrug: .

Pete

Not suprised Jessops have gone, their gear is way overpriced compared to online sellers, especially lens. Why would you buy from them when Amazon offered the same thing but 10-20% cheaper? It's the same reason Comet closed, and no doubt others high street names will follow.

But isn't this just the changing economy, as consumers we all want the best for lowest cost, and there's no way a highstreet shop with cost of rent/staff can match the prices of a warehouse selling direct online. When it comes electronic stuff these days I buy everything online,I don't think I've paid the RRP for long time....apart from Apple products, where because Apple is so control mad, prices are the same everywhere. The last few Apple stuff we've bought have been directly from the Apple store.

Edited by gangzoom

I have always preferred to spend a couple if £ more and visit a shop instead of online shopping as I am impatient but working nights means I am always home for deliveries and the bargains you can get delivered really makes it the best way. Downside is if something is wrong it can be a hassle but small price to pay really...

Town Centres and Shopping Malls will start to struggle more and more I think, one good thing is my current profession is booming :teeth:

Not suprised Jessops have gone, their gear is way overpriced compared to online sellers, especially lens. Why would you buy from them when Amazon offered the same thing but 10-20% cheaper? It's the same reason Comet closed, and no doubt others high street names will follow.

But isn't this just the changing economy, as consumers we all want the best for lowest cost, and there's no way a highstreet shop with cost of rent/staff can match the prices of a warehouse selling direct online. When it comes electronic stuff these days I buy everything online,I don't think I've paid the RRP for long time....apart from Apple products, where because Apple is so control mad, prices are the same everywhere. The last few Apple stuff we've bought have been directly from the Apple store.

Sounding the death knell for many shopping centres and in turn many Council services, as High Street business is a big funding source for them. Remember that 75% of your Council Tax goes to the Chancellor who decides each year what share each Council gets back and if that is to prop up services Council's can no longer afford because the High Street and associated income has dryed up................

http://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/guides/council-tax/understanding-council-tax/

So, unless legislative action is taken very promptly our +1's will be doing all their retail therapy from the telly etc :lol:

Thought: An immediate change could be brought about by changing VAT. Zero or very low VAT if bought by personal shoppers, compensated by raising VAT for online purchases. Might seem drastic and potential loopholes would need to be addressed, otherwise high streets will only go one way :tumbleweed:

Oh, and once the internet companies have all the business - surprise, surprise the big ones kill/buy off the smaller ones monopoly rules and prices rise. Meaning you and I are paying through the nose again.

Please tell me I am talking out of my posterior :surrender:

:shrug:

• Like 1

Delivery costs will start to rise once the share gets bigger, a lot of companies are offering free delivery just to improve market share but that will change when we have no choice as haulage is one of the biggest resources far more that picking/assembling at the warehouses.

Lots of shopping chanels for June :wink:

30sets-lot-Wholesale-Kangaroo-Keeper-The-Incredible-Bag-Organizer-font-b-AS-b-font-font-b.jpg

Oh, and once the internet companies have all the business - surprise, surprise the big ones kill/buy off the smaller ones monopoly rules and prices rise. Meaning you and I are paying through the nose again.

That's just the way it is matey.

One upon a time. One guy went hunting mammoth and his partner grew the grain. Then more of each and more and more, so they started to trade hence butcher,baker and candle stick maker.

As someone said above we all want stuff at the cheapest we can get it, so it will carry on and on.

That's just the way it is matey.

One upon a time. One guy went hunting mammoth and his partner grew the grain. Then more of each and more and more, so they started to trade hence butcher,baker and candle stick maker.

As someone said above we all want stuff at the cheapest we can get it, so it will carry on and on.

They still hunt mammoth in parts of Wales don't they :lol:

Lots of shopping chanels for June :wink:

Don't I know it - whenever I'm searching the web for important things like car parts, bloody pop-ups for handbags, clothes etc are ruining my browsing experience :rant::lol: :lol:

Just forward them to Dan, Stu, Graham......

Edited by spursmaddave

It seems online companies aren't completely immune; Play.com will soon no longer sell products themselves and only trade as a marketplace.

This is due to the tax relief they used to get before the government changed the rules last year.

It seems online companies aren't completely immune; Play.com will soon no longer sell products themselves and only trade as a marketplace.

This is due to the tax relief they used to get before the government changed the rules last year.

+1 a few sites are closing, changing or putting up their prices because of this.

Yep, no surprise really. A shame though, especially as HMV have so much history. They just haven't adapted their business model enough I guess; they should really have been looking to be the market leaders in music downloads. And I'll never understand why their prices were so much more in store than online and they why they wouldn't match it. I would just order online and get their free delivery, which I think a lot of people did. If they'd match the price in store they'd have saved a fortune in P&P costs.

. And I'll never understand why their prices were so much more in store than online and they why they wouldn't match it.

Costs a fortune in rent and business rates in huge shops like HMV. Not really a shock though, albums sales including downloads have plummeted from the heydays of the 70's and early 80's, there used to be at least 4 independent record shops in Chester plus an HMV and Virgin in the early 80's, now they've all gone. The downfall began when they stopped making vinyl, half the fun was admiring the art on the album sleeve, CD's are just so impersonal.

Pete