Fitness advice please

ewan221

I know there are quite a few on here who are keen on fitness and gym so looking for hints and tips.

Have done practically no exercise and had crap diet for past 15 years and since hitting 40 (5 years ago) have really piled on the weight. The 20 fags a day certainly not helping either!

Have now decided to try and do something about it and after watching what I eat and messing about on the previously unused home gym equipment that I have amassed over the years and using the wii fit have lost 10 pounds over last 3 weeks.

So looking for advice on how to keep this up – what’s the best exercise and diet regime? Tips on keeping motivated ?

Oh and when I was thinking maybe joining a local T’ai Chi class is that worthwhile ?

Thanks people

The main problem you are going to encounter is motivation. I could talk all day long about the best diets and different training plans but you find all that on google!

If you can, try and find a training partner or somebody that enjoys the gym with you, this way it's a lot harder to miss training sessions etc as you have the added pressure of not letting somebody else down. Whatever you do and whichever regime you decide to follow you need to make it varied. Variation in your workouts will decrease chances of boredom and help you stay in a good routine. Your body will also get used to certain types of exercise so variation will also 'shock' the body and see better results.

That's only a bit of info but I hope it helps :)

EDIT: Having a gym buddy will also make your exercise more enjoyable, which is a good thing also.

Edited by kris

Running isn't a great idea if you've done pretty much nothing over the past decade (Similar to my last 5 years!) as you'll get out on the street, last 5 minutes at most and get demotivated.

Diet is very important, as are the fags, but don't think you need to have a full fitness regime to get any results. As crap as it sounds, exercise bike at home for starters worked for me as I could get some regular cardio work in without being stranded a mile up the road as I would do for a run. Once I'd done that for a month or so, I'd lost weight and felt better when going out running.

Edit - Agreed on the Gym Buddy too, really helps with motivation

Edited by Aliensurfer

I'd much rather work out on my own. I know, I'm odd like that.

First off, good on you for making the right steps! I found using an app like Calorie Counter Pro (on iOS, probably something similar for Android stuff) helped me keep and eye on what I was eating which was the main thing. As long as calories in are less than calories out, you can't help but lose weight. Whether that's just diet or just exercise or a combo of the two depends on what works for you, but there's no quick fix sadly. Getting the heartrate up on the cardio is very important, a 2 mile walk isn't as helpful as a 2 mile run, as long as you're getting a sweat on then you're definitely in the right place. :)

NeilP is a proper gym bunny so he'll know his shizzle about re this.

I do a lot but as far as the science goes forget it. Low GI foods and run or swim (or both) your ass off. It'll clear that shite off your lungs too.

If you want my advice for motivation you need a goal (suggest half marathon) and a buddy

I'd much rather work out on my own. I know, I'm odd like that.

First off, good on you for making the right steps! I found using an app like Calorie Counter Pro (on iOS, probably something similar for Android stuff) helped me keep and eye on what I was eating which was the main thing. As long as calories in are less than calories out, you can't help but lose weight. Whether that's just diet or just exercise or a combo of the two depends on what works for you, but there's no quick fix sadly. Getting the heartrate up on the cardio is very important, a 2 mile walk isn't as helpful as a 2 mile run, as long as you're getting a sweat on then you're definitely in the right place. :)

I don't think you're odd. Not sure why but I hated the idea of going to the gym so i bought a decent treadmill. I found that forcing myself to do half an hour every day after work was better than trying to go for longer but less frequently. I really enjoy it now - stick the tv on and the earphones in and get on with it. Music seems to really help keep me going.

I started running in my late 30's and shed just about every pound I could, when I got injured I used to go swimming for an hour 3 times a week. I was 13st when I started and my challenge was to complete the Chester Half Marathon and I had 6 months to train up before the race. I finished it in 1 hr 41 minutes and that was the first of almost 100 half marathons I completed.

Pete

• Like 1

Due to a back injury i can do very little exercise at all. Therefore as of last summer i was 6'2" and 19.5st, with no ability to lose it through exercise.

I then stumbled across a diet called 'Keto', which is i guess similar to the atkins diet in that it is a no carb/no sugar diet. I read a lot about this and saw sooo many peoples progress pics and success stories, i thought id give it a try. I promptly lost over 2 stone in less than 2 months, whilst eating some awesome food!

Known affectionately as 'The Bacon Diet', Keto's principle is that you must eat a 60% Protein, 40% Fat diet - hence bacon is one of the healthiest foods you can eat! You're not allowed to have too many vegetables either as these can contain carbs (broccolli, parsnips etc).

The science behind the diet makes sense - your body can either use Sugar, or Fat as it's energy source. Sugar is metabolised very quickly, and only takes 4 calories of effort to metabolise 1 gram. The energy earned from this is then quickly used up, leaving you with sugary cravings all through the day - hence why people snack on junk food constantly.

Conversely if Fat is used as the body's sole energy source, this is a much cleaner fuel. It takes longer to metabolise and uses 9 calories of effort to metabolise 1 gram. As a result there are no blood sugar spikes which cause cravings, so you feel fuller for longer.

I took december off the keto diet so i could eat crap food for the holidays, and i put 1st back on, but i've been on Keto for a week and already i've lost most of that again. I love it.

Seriously, if you do 1 thing today, read some of the posts on the forum below. Look at peoples progress pictures, and look at some of the awesome food you get to eat (i have bacon and eggs every morning!

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

I've been training and competing in Tae kwon -Do at national and international level for 17 years. I also train BJJ and boxing as I'm thinking about going down the MMA route. I ruptured my ACL 2 years ago fighting abroad and after my operation I had to cut loads of weight to get back to training.

The very, very best advice I can give you is to find something that you enjoy, therefore you will be motivated to go even when your tired and sore.

I lift weights 4 times a week but not to look good, I do it purely to complement my martial arts training. The strength and conditioning training i do in the gym is really boring but essential. I love nothing more than to get my gum shield in and head guard on and drill technique and spar.

Everyone is different but I can never understand distance runners, they think there fit but there not, ok they can pound away the miles, but give them a really hard circuit or a couple of rounds in the ring and there cardio soon lets them down. The problem with running distance is that your body gets used to it so fast that you stop making gains really quickly. But it is good for cutting weight! But constantly running on roads with cambers will soon give you hip problems.

Eat less calories than you burn = weight lose, simple!

Find something you like doing, it might take a few tries but you will find something. Training martial arts like boxing, judo etc has other advantages in that you make really good friends aswell. My best friends are guys who try to take my head off one minute then are in my corner coaching me the next, cany wack it.

Finally, if you decide to lift weights, don't get too wrapped up in all the nutrition talk that goes on in gym's, your body will tell you what it needs and the rest you will learn over time.

I used to do a lot of bodybuilding for many years, so have tried or know about most diets & ways of working out. In fact all my friends used to always ask me my advice every time i saw them as they see me as a bit of an expert!

The biggest problem I see with people is trying to keep that motivation up and finding an exercise they like. Personally I love running and love pushing myself as hard as I can with weights. But most people I speak to are after easy workouts and dont like working up a sweat.

If you dont fancy running atm, get a cross trainer or something you can stick in a spare room in front of a tv. You can easily stick on a TV show and watch it whilst your on the cross trainer. Bit like listening to music when your running - you`ll find the time will fly by, and you find yourself looking forward to the next workout simply because you want to see the next episode of whatever show you are watching.

Smoking zaps your energy big time. If you give them up you`ll find you have loads more energy. I found when I gave up smoking id get short tempered and angry - ideal for working out with some weights or doing some exercise to blow off that steam.

Working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach I find is best for me to burn the fat off. I get up at 6.30, that gives me about an hour to workout & have a shower before getting breakfast, packing lunch then driving to work for 9.

Another thing you need to do is to set a target. A good target for me is holidays. So if I have a nice beach holiday booked say for June, I know now ive got 6 months. If I need to loose 24lb then thats only 1lb a week until then. See, sounds better like that.

The calorie counter programs are good. I use one called "myfitnesspal" which is awesome. You just scan the barcode of whatever you eat and it knows how many calories it all is. That way you can keep to your correct daily amount. Id aim for 1800 calories a day initially, you can always adjust it.

Do you like cooking? Workout a meal plan for the week. Maybe turkey stirfry one day, nice beef stew another, chicken & rice another day etc.. Try some new receipes. If you have a meal plan you know what you are going to eat so you are less likely to start looking through the fridge for snacks.

Have 1 day a week where you can "treat" yourself to a cheat meal. Maybe a pizza, or a curry. That way you`ll find yourself looking forward to that day. You will find that after you eat it you will feel guilty and then have extra motivation for rest of the week.

Id also weigh & measure myself once a week. Some weeks you`ll find you loose a lot, other weeks the scales show the same (or a gain) which may demotivate you. This is where measuring yourself is important as whilst you may have stayed the same weight, you may well have lost like 2 inches off your stomach! So, that will still help motivate you and prove that your body is changing and you are loosing the fat. DO NOT fall in the trap of jumping on the scales every day like some people do, as your body naturally goes up & down in weight over a week. And if you see the scales going up it will demotivate you. Also, keep to the same time each week. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning as your body "looses" about 4 or 5lb over night whilst you sleep!

If you fancy doing weights you can use them to help motivate yourself further. Try increasing the weights each time. If you manage an extra rep or slightly more weight one day then that will help motivate you and feel good. Loads of forums and workouts out there - id stick to a simple basic program which hits all the main muscle groups.

Once you start making progress - like you have done - you`ll find the motivation increases and you`ll start to feel good!

Final thing id say is whilst you are motivated its tempting to push yourself too hard and you end up injuring yourself - then you end up setting yourself back and getting demotivated again!

Good luck!

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 1

Fags, its hard to quit so try to limit it. If your on 20 a day, find the times of the day u need one most. My job for example is very boring, so i tend to smoke more at work. I enjoy it, so dont want to quit, i just smoke less.

0700 get up, and ready, get to work at 0825, smoke, then start at 0830

One at 1030 break

One before lunch at 12 and one after at 1:30

Another break at 3:30 i have one, and after work at 5.

After this, work for ur fag. I clean up house for hour or go gym for hour and treat myself after. Avoid hanging around the smoking area, that helps. But try to find the 10times in a day u want one most. Cuttin down will help you keep fitter, fags make you feel more lethargic.

Find a gym partner. Thats the best way to always go, have competitions at weights etc so you want to go to boast or something.

Take an energy shake if you cant be bothered with gym, these always get me in the mood for the gym as you have so much excess energy you feel its the only way to get rid of it. Theres a thread on reviews of post and pre workout shakes.

Ill keep this fairly simple:

Do exercise that interests you will be much easier to keep a regular training routine in place then. Once you are in the pattern of training after a couple of months you can experiment and try other stuff. its consistency that is the key, consistent diet and training. Then with consistency you can monitor the results and make changes for more benefit as you go. If your hit and miss you wont know what to change.

brisk walking is great as keeps your heart rate at an optimum rate for rate burning and far less impact on the knees than running. If weights interest you then try and do a light full bodywork out (as for a basic routine if you choose this). As weight training will help burn fat for longer than cardio training by speeding up the metabolism.

eat regularly every 2.5 - 3 hours have a small meal or snack. Try to eat around the same calorie intake everyday so it can be monitored. All sorts of apps and websites for this. food can get a bit boring, same sort of thing everyday but there are ways to spice up food and make it more interesting.

Im not a fan of very low carbs, like a keto diet as mentioned above i think lower carbs but you need to keep some in there.

Rabbitstew sums up the whole thing pretty but i only read back after iv typed the above lol.

Good luck

Stopping smoking is easy. Just don't buy them. 'Tis all I did.

/6 years smoke free

I didnt start smoking until quite late in life, so I feel sorry for people who have spoked all their life and dont realise how much energy they zap.

I found smoking was all about habit or boredom. Plus the social side of it - all my mates smoked when we used to go out for a pint.

So as ddcboyle said, its about working out when you smoke and changing that. Like having a fag after every meal... or as soon as you get stuck in traffic lighting up. Or, if your driving to work, getting a quick one in before you get in the office. Got a stressful conference call coming up - better get a quick fag in. Or, relaxing with a pint, spark one up straight away. Advert break on the telly? Thats time for a quick fag etc...

I found switching to roll ups helped as id smoke less and it was cheaper. And roll up tobacco seemed a lot milder than the marlboro I was on, so it moved the addiction away from needing that harsh hit to a more smoother nicotine hit. I then cut down on how many I was smoking, and started using the nicotine lozenges to get that hit if i needed one. The graving were quite strong, but the lozenges would stop that.

Also, started getting back into more exercise and working out so you feel better, and stopping drinking beer. So I removed all the associations and broke the habits.

I also ditched my ex who was a smoker, so that helped. :lol:

I switched to a paleo 'lifestyle' or whatever you want to call it as it completely made sense to me.

I do occasionally cheat but on the whole I feel a huge amount better for it, no hunger cravings any more (wanted to eat constantly), good energy throughout the day and IBS symptoms have cleared up.

It's not for everyone as it challenges pretty much all of the BS you've been told about food/health in the news/books/trainers.

Anyway, what you put in is certainly more important than just slinging yourself around a gym.

Edited by RobPhoboS