The mystery of the Headlight Washers

Z-monster

OK so I know my Zed has headlight washers: Has a button, the little plastic covers on the bumper...but...

Has anyone ever seen them working, or footage of them working? :headhurt:

I've followed the instructions, (wipers on, lights on, press button) But I've never seen any over-spray bounce off the lights. I have however seen the "tears" that stream up the bonnet/front wings when driving in the wet - might just be rain patterns.

Who can prove they work!? (Pictures/video or it didn't happen) :lol:

they will only work when the headlights are on.

I've never used the button to use them, i just when driving at night.

Use the traditional clean windscreen pull back method, and for the next few seconds pray nothing is happening infront of me, as u cant see anything till it stops

It will be obvious when they work

If you have the lights on (headlights not sidelights?) and operate the windscreen washer, the headlamp jets will also fire off. The headlamp washers will only operate once so using the windscreen washers again will not cause the headlamp washer to fire as well until you switch the ignition off/on again or switch the headlamps off/on again.

The washer button is used to turn the headlamp washer off or on so that the washers do not operate if in the off position and the windscreen wash is activated.

Jim

The washer button is used to turn the headlamp washer off or on so that the washers do not operate if in the off position and the windscreen wash is activated.

Interesting - is there any way to know if the button is in the off or on position? As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to "toggle" or illuminate anything as most of the other buttons in the HRs do.

It's worth noting they only work when there is enough fluid in the washer bottle. They stop working before the windscreen washer jets do I think it's about 1/3rd full.

Make sure you fill it right up to test them.

The button will only work when your headlights are on dipped on main beam. It's not a toggle button either it's a press one.

It's worth noting they only work when there is enough fluid in the washer bottle. They stop working before the windscreen washer jets do I think it's about 1/3rd full.

Make sure you fill it right up to test them.

The button will only work when your headlights are on dipped on main beam. It's not a toggle button either it's a press one.

I'll give this all whirl tomorrow. Should the wipers be on also?

You know there are whole playlists on youtube dedicated to headlight washers? I'm not alone!

For them to work the bottle needs to be above the level required and the lights need to be on dipped or main beam. They won't work if only on sidelights.

Then you either press the button or pull the stalk so the washer jets spray.

Either method should activate the headlight washers.

Fill your washer bottle, start the car, put low beam on, press the button whilst shouting abracadabra ...

PS

if you want a real laugh .. get the wifey to take a look with her head facing forwards just behind the offside headlight :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

The headlamp washers will only operate once so using the windscreen washers again will not cause the headlamp washer to fire as well until you switch the ignition off/on again or switch the headlamps off/on again.

Jim

I read somewhere that once they've operated then they'll only work every 3rd or 4th time the windscreen wipers are used :shrug: . One things for sure though the covers will push out in very cold weather rendering them inoperable.

Pete

Looks like I've sparked a decent debate here.

I saw on another thread (How to change your side markers without bumper removal) that the headlight washers have a separate washer bottles - are these fed by the main washer bottle - thus why we need a full compliment of windscreen cleaner.

FYI I'm in a MY07 '57 or 313 model (non GT-spec) - any chance I don't even have the washers!?

Unfortunately it's a legal requirement for all cars with xenon's, so there is no choice really.

No never knew that.

Well glad i wont have to learn anything else knew today! i'm capped at one!

:lol:

Edited by DoogyRev

Seems to be a bit of mis-information on here about this, lets see if I can add to it :lol:

1. Headlight and window washers use the same bottles, however there are 2 bottles at the front of the Zed, linked by a pipe so that when you fill the main one, it balances out with the other

2. Headlight washer will only fire up when you have dipped/main beam on, engine running and use the wash window stalk or button on the dash

3. Headlight washer will only work if the levels in the bottles is high enough. At a certain level only the window wash will fire and not the headlights.

4. The button is to manually activate the wash. Its not a toggle on/off (certainly in my old MY2003), it fires when you press it.

5. Once the washer has fired with the window washer, it will only fire on something like the 5th wash of the window, not every time.

And yes, if you want to see it work, clean and dry the car then fire it, it loves to cover a clean car in spray!