ESP.........Who drives with it on or off?

JEMAN

Just shows how beastly the Z can be :) ill keep it "ON" Also can you turn off the ESP while driving or do you have to cut the engine then turn the ESP off ? Sorry for the Questions, but im still finding my way around this great car :)

You can turn it off or on when driving - when it is off you get the little warning symbol on the dash. By default it is always on when you start the car.

One of the 'attractons' of having an older car or something like a TVR where you don't have TC.

While it is no doubt a 'safety' feature that will benefit those who do not like to fully explore the car and/or their abilities, for those who do like the challenge and used correctly, having the TC off brings the car 'alive' and is in a ZED that is very rewarding in my experience.

Its there for a reason Colin - not many of our members have 40+ yrs driving and motorsport experience! :)

Many of our members aren't even 40+ :lol:

Might be why old farts get cheaper insurance :p

• Like 1

The stock traction control on the Zeds isnt very good , shuts the throttle fully which is dangerous sometimes , been spending time with the Syvecs S6 Traction on my own Zed which is awesome just misfires enough to reduce enough power to stop the car going too sideways , traction is mapped against sideways G loading, more G reading more traction control.

On in the wet. Off in the dry. Much better driving experience with it off in the dry. The zed is easily controllable in the dry anyway, pretty predictable.

Had an s2000 gt between owning my last zed and my current one . The s2000 was very sketchy and very unpredictable compared to the zed and had no traction control at all. Selling that and buying another zed made me realise that the Nissan is totally fine without the traction control in dry conditions. You seem to know what it's going to do anyway unlike the Honda.

The s2000 gave too much confidence and no warning when it's had enough.lol. Amazing in the dry but lethal in the wet. Traction control is defo a good thing to have on a rwd.

TC always off here, unless there is a lot of standing water on the roads.

I really hate the way it operates, far too harsh. Its much smoother and more predicable to control any loss of traction with your right foot.

I'm not quite as mature as some on the forum :p but I think spending a lot of my teenage years sideways in Cortinas and capris definitely helped. :drive1

The stock traction control on the Zeds isnt very good , shuts the throttle fully which is dangerous sometimes , been spending time with the Syvecs S6 Traction on my own Zed which is awesome just misfires enough to reduce enough power to stop the car going too sideways , traction is mapped against sideways G loading, more G reading more traction control.

Sounds good Mark.

Do you think there will ever be anything similar using Uprev?

TC always off here, unless there is a lot of standing water on the roads.

I really hate the way it operates, far too harsh. Its much smoother and more predicable to control any loss of traction with your right foot.

I'm not quite as mature as some on the forum :p but I think spending a lot of my teenage years sideways in Cortinas and capris definitely helped. :drive1

That'll do for me :thumbs: Are you sure about your age :shrug:

If i'm driving in a built up area or amongst traffic i drive with it on. If i'm driving round a nice quiet industrial estate or track i drive with it off. I've had rear wheel drive cars for years now my last two being tuned 200sxS14's and much prefer them to front wheel drive cars, i find them a lot more fun.

The ESP is automatically on when you start the car. you have to physically switch it off. If you switch it off when driving and don't/forget to switch it on again, the next time you start the car it will be switched on and if you want it off you'll have to switch it off again.

Mines permanently off on the jag at the moment due to a fault. And it has a bag load more torque and bhp than the zed and its fine.

At the end of the day you have ultimate control.....its called your right foot.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

My battery went in me 350z so got it started by the AA, due to the battery having zero juice my ESP was turned off along with ABS, Never driven a car so carefully.

I been racing karts sine i was 12 so fully understand what raw driving is, however i think car is little bit more expensive to replace. This isn't to say i have kicked the back end out a few times with it on.

When I first got the Zed the TC was off due to a fault and I found the car very informative when driving. If it was going to go, I knew about it, was prepared for it and it was very controlled.

At present I have it turned on as the roads are slippery and unpredictable with the volume of leaves that have fallen recently. I do find it intrusive though - as others have said - and by cutting all power, would be dangerous in some situations. It is a reassuring back up though and certainly worth while as you are getting to know RWD characteristics.

Would absolutely recommend an airfield or similar day to turn it off and really test your car though...I will do one in the Zed once the new year arrives to send my rear tyres over the wear indicators in style!

Off most of the summer. With good tyres, unless you are driving like a complete muppet, the car won't bite.

On over the winter - has caught me out a few times going for gaps and cutting the power, but better safe than sorry when the roads are covered with ming I guess.

When I took my Zed to Abbey after driving all winter with the ABS & slip lights on I explained to Mark that I didn't think the ABS and ESP were off because the car had been fine, he said he would take the car for a drive and check...

When he got out he had a big grin on his face and he said "its definitely off that car drives like it should" :lol: