hitting a post on the pavement

se350z

hi everyone

2 monhts ago.i was driving my mums Z (i am fully insured) and on a sharp corner i lost the control went on the payment and hit a post, i was lucky that there was no one on the pavement. I was i n shock and i paniced also scared so i reversed and drive off. My mum received a letter from metropolitan police station they are asking the details of the driver im going to admit that i was me and tell them what happend... What is the worst thing would happend to me? 6 months prison? Fine? Points? :console:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

worst case scenario is possibly pay for the damage to the street furniture

i had an accident many years ago where i came off a roundabout 360 stylee and wiped out 2 bollards and a 2 sign posts. i believe the police were informed via my insurance company but i was never billed for the damage. i think it was absorbed in the insurance costs and dealt with by the insurer.

if you did not go through the insurer and had it fixed off the books it could be that you will be billed for the damage and replacement of the sign post.

What was the speed limit in the area?

If it was a 30 and you were driving waaay too hard, they may push for a DWODCAA charge. If it was a 50 or 60 you may be okay, and they'll just bill you for the damage assuming you didn't go through the insurance.

If it was a 30 and you were driving waaay too hard, they may push for a DWODCAA charge. If it was a 50 or 60 you may be okay, and they'll just bill you for the damage assuming you didn't go through the insurance.

Around 30 max 40. It was a sharp corner i lost the control and went over the pavement.

Tbh, you are in deep sh1 t , leaving the sceen of an accident, is the worst thing you could have done.

Good luck, you are gonna need it......get a good lawyer.

I disagree,

You send your details in to the police as requested and the police ask you to come in for an interview.

At the same time you arrive at the police station 2 FBI agents also arrive to collect Mr X who is being held on and extradition order for acts of terrorism. In a terrible case of mistaken identity you are handed over to the FBI flown back to the USA and immediately onto Guantanamo Bay for questioning! It takes years to sort out the confusion.

In the meantime Mr X is let off with a caution for failing to report an accident and a small bill for damage to public property. He leaves the police station with his new identity and opens a florists.

I recon that's closer to "the worse that could happen" :lol:

Around 30 max 40. It was a sharp corner i lost the control and went over the pavement.

And what was the speed limit on the road?

Generally leaving the scene of an accident (if they choose to persue this route) is a fairly serious offence and it carries with it quite a few points.

Out of interest, do you have multiple Zeds in your family? I had a look through some older posts and saw details of a Zed you were repairing but no mention of a Zed belong to your Mum, just 'your' Zed.

Tbh, you are in deep sh1 t , leaving the sceen of an accident, is the worst thing you could have done.

Good luck, you are gonna need it......get a good lawyer.

Talk about over reacting! :yawn:

You didn't hurt anybody, you were insured. Yes you should have reported it but its only a bloody lamppost so i'm guessing a hefty fine and points.

And what was the speed limit on the road?

Generally leaving the scene of an accident (if they choose to persue this route) is a fairly serious offence and it carries with

it quite a few points.

Out of interest, do you have multiple Zeds in your family? I had a look through some older posts and saw details of a Zed you were repairing but no mention of a Zed belong to your Mum, just 'your' Zed.

The speed limit of the road is 30mph. And this is my first offence i can say and first fine or points. You think they would allow me this time. I been driving for 5 years. And we got 2 z's at home

Really mate don't sweat it you will drive yourself mad. Yes you were supposed to report it but you panicked at the time - no other cars involved, no pedestrians and it was an accident speculating on what will happen from nothing to having the book thrown at you won't change the outcome.

Get the details in and get it done with the waiting and uncertainty is the horrible bit!

Actually, I wouldn't be quite so quick to own up.

Yes, get your Mum to tell them you were driving, but then wait and see. If you get invited down to the station for a chat, then YOU MUST TAKE A SOLICITOR WITH YOU. This bit is of course optional, but there's no way in hell I'd go down without one.

Personally i wouldnt worry about a solicitor at that point. Big waste of money. You will get a legal advisor at best and all they will do is make sure that the po po dont beat a confession out of you or use appresive methods, which is highly unlikely.

We dont live in an american law show where a solicitor comes in and ties the police up in knots and mugs everybody off and you get off scot free. Big money is not in minor criminal law cases, most decent solicitors will go into other areas of law, property etc.

Honesty is the best policy, only answer questions your asked. They will ask you to tell them in your own words what happened so make it brief and truthful.

Id be surprised if they wasted there time with it if im honest though.

And you obviously didnt want to waste police time by calling them out to a dead lampost, they have better things to be doing, you cant exactly exchange details with it. Worst thing youve done is not report the accident at the police station. As said no one was hurt, its a lamp post.

Personally i wouldnt worry about a solicitor at that point. Big waste of money. You will get a legal advisor at best and all they will do is make sure that the po po dont beat a confession out of you or use appresive methods, which is highly unlikely.

We dont live in an american law show where a solicitor comes in and ties the police up in knots and mugs everybody off and you get off scot free. Big money is not in minor criminal law cases, most decent solicitors will go into other areas of law, property etc.

Honesty is the best policy, only answer questions your asked. They will ask you to tell them in your own words what happened so make it brief and truthful.

Id be surprised if they wasted there time with it if im honest though.

And you obviously didnt want to waste police time by calling them out to a dead lampost, they have better things to be doing, you cant exactly exchange details with it. Worst thing youve done is not report the accident at the police station. As said no one was hurt, its a lamp post.

thanks for the reply theeff, thats what exactly i am goıng to do..

Max up to 6 points and a fine. Oh and pay for damage.

Shame it isn't a threat of a possible gang bang arse raping in prison. Might deter people who drive away from said accidents, but in particular when they hit another car and drive off without leaving details.

Leaving the scene of an accident can (and often does) end in disqualification. Prison is possible but you'd probably have to run over a person or something.

Actually, I wouldn't be quite so quick to own up.

Yes, get your Mum to tell them you were driving, but then wait and see. If you get invited down to the station for a chat, then YOU MUST TAKE A SOLICITOR WITH YOU. This bit is of course optional, but there's no way in hell I'd go down without one.

+1 on this, I'm not a big believer in 'little, informal chats' with the police, a sure fire way for you to chat yourself into trouble.

If it was my car and I was in that situ I probably couldn't remember who was driving 6 months ago, but that approach could mean dropping Mother se350z in it so maybe not an option.

Best thing you could do is post up your predicament on the Pepipoo forum as that's a dedicated site for points/parking/police.

Hope you get it sorted!

S.