Anyone else got a super smart partner?

Flex

Just wondered (obviously a bit of boasting here) but my woman is ultra smart, she's now just finishing her Phd on part of the immune system. Her thesis is just :wacko: to read.

I think I'm probably an average IQ but when I compare myself to her I feel like a dummy.

It's not getting me down or anything I just wondered if anyone else is in a similar boat and if they actively think about the comparison?

Most of the women I date are generally less intelligent that I am, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with someone brighter than me! This can mean 1 of three things:

1 - I'm a bloody genius

2 - Only stupid women accept my advances

3 - I have a superiority complex that means I'm subconsciously attracted to women less intelligent than me.

I'm 28 and not married :)

my GF is doing a Phd on something complicated, that spans chemistry, biology and maths... and when she graduates she expects to be called doctor :surrender:

To be honest i dont worry about it too much - we've both got letters after our names, she'll just have 6 more (got an MSc on the way). Hopefully she'll then go on to earn more than me and I can get a job as professional sofa tester :lol:

my GF is doing a Phd on something complicated, that spans chemistry, biology and maths... and when she graduates she expects to be called doctor :surrender:

To be honest i dont worry about it too much - we've both got letters after our names, she'll just have 6 more (got an MSc on the way). Hopefully she'll then go on to earn more than me and I can get a job as professional sofa tester :lol:

I like your style!

Well, sort of. I like to consider myself reasonably bright. My financee has two settings:

(i) Fine on day to day activities outside of work, but likely to be playing a piece of music in her head that she's trying to learn or thinking about a different issue at the same time. This leads to reasonably frequent moments of "what the **** are you doing" from me - I operate at a one thing at a time basis, not necessarily at maximum tilt/effort all the time, but rarely less than 75%.

(ii) Brain fully engaged on the topic in hand. Typically the person who comes up with the unusual suggestion and who deals with the information fastest. Has never got the anything other than the maximum available mark in any academic course.

So, sometimes it's like going out with a "blonde" other times I find myself having my ass handed to me. Happily, on subjects in life that that matter we usually both apply our minds, think in different ways and it all works fairly well.

I don't worry about her being smarter than me because it's not like the gap is so big that I'm not a good intellectual match for her (which would bother me just like going out with some dork who watched X Factor, read Hello and had no real thinking ability would bother me). At the end of the day what you need is a partnership and those sort of differences don't matter unless they are a total mismatch.

Well, she was Deputy Head in on the top private schools in the country aged 28, shes cant be that stupid :D

Oh, apart from seeing reflections of fireworks in a building window and thining they were inside the building. Or believing my middle name was Mohammed, or that me and my mates used to know about on mini hovercraft, or asking who "Bill Payer" was on a TV phone in .......... natural blonde as it happens ;)

Stews missus is doing a PhD - so she must be a clever lady, although she married him, so on the other hand :bang::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::stir:

I'm glad you went there first! :lol:

My lady too is more academically adept than me, I'm hoping for a future life of leisure riding my bike!

Most of the women I date are generally less intelligent that I am, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with someone brighter than me! This can mean 1 of three things:

1 - I'm a bloody genius

2 - Only stupid women accept my advances

3 - I have a superiority complex that means I'm subconsciously attracted to women less intelligent than me.

I'm 28 and not married :)

Or all 3. lol

i'd say lucy and i are on a par,

she is more academically smarter, i'd say she's the better teacher out of the 2 of us. shes' been teaching 2 years less than me and is already senior leadership team. she takes after her dad, and mum who are both very good teachers, very good with language skills etc spoken and written. i on the other hand am some what of a dumbass when it comes to things like that.

but i'd say i have more common sense than my wife, more practically intelligent, and a bit more wordly/seasoned if that makes sense.

i maybe cant write the best essay or tell you what a noun is, but i can strip down and engine, telly uo whats broken and fix it. in fact most things i can fix.

and i can;t be that stupid, i got a degree and i have an IQ of 129, by no means a mensa applicant but not too shabby. (did them as part of my degree)

i'd say lucy and i are on a par,

she is more academically smarter, i'd say she's the better teacher out of the 2 of us. shes' been teaching 2 years less than me and is already senior leadership team. she takes after her dad, and mum who are both very good teachers, very good with language skills etc spoken and written. i on the other hand am some what of a dumbass when it comes to things like that.

but i'd say i have more common sense than my wife, more practically intelligent, and a bit more wordly/seasoned if that makes sense.

i maybe cant write the best essay or tell you what a noun is, but i can strip down and engine, telly uo whats broken and fix it. in fact most things i can fix.

and i can;t be that stupid, i got a degree and i have an IQ of 129, by no means a mensa applicant but not too shabby. (did them as part of my degree)

Now this is annoying - just because you can't spell does not make you a dumbass! We're still far too tied up in academic ability - horses for courses!

On the other hand the sooner you guys realise you'll never win an argument with a female the quicker we can all live in harmony :D

edit: Cragus - I can see you reading this thread - c'mon poppet stop sitting on your hands :p

i have to get lucy to check all letters and job applications i write, i also get my father inlaw to help me write my statements and covering letters. he's very good, i'll send him my first draft and he makes it readable :lol:

i'm not the best at reading; my hand writing looks like a 5 year old, and i struggle in academic debate, in the past the easy fix was just to punch the other person :blush: i'm all growd up now so i can;t do that, so now i just nod and look like i know what people are talking about :lol:

Never really worried or thought about it to be honest never been the academic type and the only letters I'm likely to ever see after my name would probably be HMP :lol:

That of course was until they did that bloody test the nation thing and the wife said "let's try it" now I, like most men when there is a competition I HAVE to win (I don't but you know what I mean) so when it came time to add up the scores it was a bit worrying - what do you know we both scored the same :thumbs: Got different bits right/wrong as well but the same overall score.

I'm a little more practical than she, but dam if she isn't quick on numbers can't keep up in that department - but she still can't get her head round an ET of 25 with a 15mm spacer ....... :lol:

Stews missus is doing a PhD - so she must be a clever lady, although she married him, so on the other hand :bang::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Very true! My wife is a neuroscientist (recently award winning) and is waaaaay smarter than me.

I'm an Engineer (also award winning as it happens) and not exactly stupid.

I have no problems with it at all and I'm hugely proud of her. Oh and I'll definitely be calling her doctor in a years time. I'm looking forward to it!

:lol::lol::lol:

Very true! My wife is a neuroscientist (recently award winning) and is waaaaay smarter than me.

I'm an Engineer (also award winning as it happens) and not exactly stupid.

I have no problems with it at all and I'm hugely proud of her. Oh and I'll definitely be calling her doctor in a years time. I'm looking forward to it!

I prefer to call my wife nurse but that's another story :)

Horses for courses.

My wife is cleaver-er than me,no degree or Phd but extremely good at what she does.

But I left work in November 1992 to bring up the children ;) 17 and 20 now, so I'm now reaping all the joys of 'free' time. (Jet skiing all afternoon, life's tough :teeth: )