Is a Zed that uneconomical?

spursmaddave

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the road well ahead (on motorways in particular) to see blockages like lorries taking 3 miles to overtake something so you can adjust your speed/lane to avoid the last minute brakers who simply tunnel vision on the car in front, certainly helps the mpg. Also makes life safer by anticipating the clowns who suddenly realise they are then slowing and want to swing out at the last moment.

But its then that annoying factor when you do leave decent stopping room and idiots simply take the opportunity to jump in, often without signalling. And, then when traffic is heavy you inevitably find yourself bunching up more than you want to stop that 'jumping in' and going backwards (sic) and then causing impatience and under-cutting from behind. :doh:

But the best thing I found to save fuel in the 370 on the motorway was having the UPREV - improved consumption by 2-3 mpg under the same driving conditions so that 30+ is achievable at the usual speeds, as well as delivering more power...... :D Before the UPREV it was a bit frustrating I could not get near 30mpg unless I kept under............(censored).

Er:

I used to do 2000 miles a month in my zeds, mostly motorway miles and never reset my trip computer ever, and never got over 24mpg...........I don't think I drove them particulary hard either

:shutup::lol:

I'm always shocked at these Eco petrols. Never return that much MPG unless you have a really small engine.

Our 370z does somewhere around 30MPG on normal longer journeys (bit of m-way and A-roads) and drops to about 25MPG when doing more town driving. The Alfa (2l JTDm2) does about 45MPG on our commute into reading and 50MPG+ across France with bikes on the back. No way you can compare a petrol to a Diesel really, soot chuckers win by a mile, however the Zed is very economical for its size compared to other petrol cars.

During a quiet 4 day tootal around N Wales in May :teeth: mine said 26.7 mpg. And I'd only had that new noisey shiney thingy underneath put on the day before. :lol:

Syncrooooooooo Revvvvvvvvv :cloud9:

During a quiet 4 day tootal around N Wales in May :teeth: mine said 26.7 mpg. And I'd only had that new noisey shiney thingy underneath put on the day before. :lol:

Syncrooooooooo Revvvvvvvvv :cloud9:

Its a bugger ain't it - I'm sure I've doubled my gear changes since I've had the 370 :lol:

On the drive home from picking mine up I got 32mpg, that's the only proper motorway journey I've done so far and now I've got it home I'm getting 23/28mpg on dual carriageways and A roads.

I don't drive her hard as she scares the crap out of me and I the fact I look 12 years old just waiting for those blue lights.

I have had 450 ish miles from a tank more than once in the Zed.

I find that the yellow light tends to come on around the 400 mile mark although for a one of experiment to see how much I could force out of tankful I hit 540 miles before the yellow light appeared. Don't plan on doing that again though :)

I have had 450 ish miles from a tank more than once in the Zed.

I find that the yellow light tends to come on around the 400 mile mark although for a one of experiment to see how much I could force out of tankful I hit 540 miles before the yellow light appeared. Don't plan on doing that again though :)

Well the light just came on at 450. Drove from Wales to Aberdeen. The yellow light came on a few miles from the house. I can't remember the MPG but it will have been quite high so there will have been plenty left in the tank.

On another note, I've also seen around 8mpg. :blush:

I drive my Z everyday, roughly 50 - 100 miles a day on all different roads. Had the Z a few months now and reset the trip at the start, since then the average MPG is 29.2

Better than my previous Z3 (2.8) and nearly as good as my TT.

:D

I was impressed with my SC'd Zed at the weekend. I drove from my house to Newquay (370 miles) on one tank of petrol!! I never normally get more than 300 on a tank.

I was being very gentle on the throttle (as it was wet most of the journey) but wasn't hanging about once up to speed, still done it in 5.5 hours. :)

Only problem being I was on fumes when I got there and then had to drive another 10miles out of newquay to find some Super! :rant:

Newquay is rubbish for super.....

On another note, I've also seen around 8mpg. :blush:

Lowest proper average I've had was at a airfield day. 16MPG average, and thats over a full tank, driving too and from North Weald from Basingstoke which involved rather a lot of motorway and major A road driving which was very light on the throttle. :blush:

34mpg driving round Europe and that was with a very spirited say with Thomas Sorensen

WTF dude. We were stuck in a traffic jam - so later I had to make up for it in order to keep an acceptable average speed. We have average speed cameras here , you know. So you cannot let the average speed slip just because you are stuck at some point.

Didn't notice till yesterday it was an Insignia SRI not that it made me love it anymore....

I didn't intend this thread to be a 'look at me I can get (insert figure) mpg' thread as there are plenty of those :yawn:

My point is I drive whatever car I am in the same way pretty much, I have driven from London to Newcastle in 4 different cars each journey in roughly 4.5 hours with 1 or 2 short stops....

Mazda 6 2.3l - 33mpg

Seat Leon TDI FR - 52mpg

Insingia SRI - 34.5 mpg

Zed - 33 mpg

So on a nice long trip doing motorway speeds with the V6 purring it is not that uneconomical :thumbs:

Driving it like you stole it or around town in traffic is another matter altogether :surrender:

Hi, I drove from Devon to near sheffield in a Honda Civic iCdti to collect my 350z. Both ways were done at apx the same speed. The Honda averaged 46mpg & the 350 averaged 34.6mpg. The 350 IMO is pretty economical if driven smoothly.

A great car. :yahoo:

I've had hundreds of hire cars over the years, ranging from Nissan Micra's to to the best "ecoshiftdiesel's", and all have dissapointed in fuel consumption. The worst ever has to be Kia! Had one of these and had to get a "slipstream" from an arctic to barely get 300 miles out the tank!!

I haven't ever had to pay for fuel as most were business use, so I suppose I didn't drive in an economical style.

The 70 on the other hand, for a relatively heavy 3.7 NA car is superb on consumption, most of my miles these days are commute and some leisure. Very rarely get under 400 to the tank and even then it only takes around 67 or so ltr to top back up to full.

Have to agree that the UpRev makes a difference, both to economy and enjoyment. My Mrs Leon FR is not bad on consumption but rarely reaches 50mpg except on longer journeys.

I find that filling the tank right up everytime and running till empty or yellow light on is a better way to judge consumption than relying on the "trip computer" and/or just throwing in £20 or £30 every now and again.

Also have to agree that the last thing on my list of requirements when I was looking at cars to replace my RX8 was fuel consumption!! Have a look on their OC at fuel consumption threads, most are now suicidal :lol:

The 70 on the other hand, for a relatively heavy 3.7 NA car is superb on consumption, most of my miles these days are commute and some leisure. Very rarely get under 400 to the tank and even then it only takes around 67 or so ltr to top back up to full.

So 26mpg then? Not bad, sounds pretty average to me :)