Not best pleased...

CrumbMC

keep us updated on the police report mate, I hate to say it but as they are probz all under 16 and there parents spend all there money paying littlewoods catalog you might be waiting a while for some sort of compensation :angry:

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Do you get a choice whether to push charges?

That's what I was thinking, can't you press charges for criminal damage? Since they jumped into a car and drove off, at least one of them is 17+, hopefully over 18 as that would make him responsible for any "minors" that were with him, or maybe that only counts for when they are actually in the car.

Sorry to hear about the damage, hopefully you can sort one of the mirrors like you suggested and get someone to give you a good price on the door :thumbs:

That's shocking to damage so many vehicles and I feel for you mate.

If you can claim for vandalism then go for it as long as it doesn't affect your premium.

I claimed years ago when a flattened hub cap was in the road, a car drove over it between the wheels and the vacuum under the car spun it up into the air. As we were doing 60'ish the vacuum managed to get it rolling and as I came along it managed to lift and fly straight through my front grill. Killing the rad, aircon rad and slicing my bumper. Cost the insurance £1,300 but my insurance went up £300 for 5 years on the trot. Because there was nobody to blame I suffered the consequences.

This is what I hate about insurance. THEY take the risk and I pay a premium, yet I ended up paying for the damage and NOT the insurance company.

Insurance sucks, and I hope you get a resolution with minimal pain :thumbs:

This is what I hate about insurance. THEY take the risk and I pay a premium, yet I ended up paying for the damage and NOT the insurance company.

Insurance sucks, and I hope you get a resolution with minimal pain :thumbs:

+20million. Over 28 years of motoring I've learnt to never claim for things you can afford to fix yourself: insurance is there for the things you can't afford.

Small claims just add to the insurance companies eventual profits (along with their foodchain of garages which inflate repair costs to make immediate profit). The motorist is the grass at the bottom of that food chain unfortunately, and even if you do have a policy that lets you fix something at 'no extra charge' - it will get you back on renewal - or you have to stay with the same insurance company and whatever premium escalator they have for 'loyal customers'. Sucks.

I wonder if im getting old!

Remember RoboCop (well i think it was) when someone comes too close, big flames come out from under the car and vapourise the little darlings........proximity protection.

When I win the lottery, i may have to invest into this............ :evil:

Fin :drive1

Tell the police officer you wish to take out a civil case against them and sue for criminal damage. You should then be furnished with the details necessary to write to, or have your solicitor write to these individuals (or parents thereof) advising you are taking legal action against them. Or alternatively you could pass the names and addresses to Gorgeous George down the pub with a few beer tokens and ask him to "collect" the money on your behalf - Whichever takes your fancy I suppose. :shrug:

Sorry to see this :( at least you know they were caught! Some time ago someone crashed into my car which I had picked up 2 weeks earlier and did 3k's worth of damage to the rear end and drove off. Never caught them.

At least you know they'll see some sort of punishment and it'll be on their record.

I'm with the others though, for god's sake don't claim, it's not worth the insurance premium hassle. :pmzmanalex: and you'll be grinning with it all shiny again in no time.

As for the scratches, try scratch X and pourbuoys (sp?) excellent for removing any scratches which are only laquer-deep. And no worrying about respray's not matching etc then too ;)

Also, if you're anywhere near St. Albans/ herts area, pm me as I know an excellent dent man.

Really sorry to hear this Chris :(

I'm guessing that all of the perps are over 18 if they spent the night in the cells? That might make things easier for you if you want to pursue them in a civil court.

Hope you get it sorted and keep us informed!

S.

Haven't heard from the police today so i will be giving them a call in the morning as i don't want the little knobheads getting off Scott free.

I called Admiral today to ask what would happen if i did claim. (i made sure not to say what had happened or how much it would cost etc) they said that a claim would knock my NCB down by 2 from 6 to 3. this apparently is because 5 is the maximum :surrender:

The guy at the call centre also 'had to' inform me that because i rang up asking about how i would go about making a claim, that they would be making a record of this and it would be taken into account when they offered me a renewal. - looks like i'll be changing insurer then. :rant:

Thanks for the offers for parts etc. i was going to have a go at the scratches n the door today but its peeing down so that will have to wait.

gutted for you mate. the mrs works in insurance,fraud, intelligience type stuff. shes in london just now but il speak with her tommorrow. i think it would be classed as a civil matter, ie you chasing them. but i cant help but think there is an uninsured loss type thing for this kinda situation. il speak with her tommorrow see if she can give a bit of advice. although usually when i start conversations with ,, right this guy on that forum am on,,,she usually switches off pretty quick

Little scrotes!!

This really makes my blood boil. Conditional discharge....bloody joke IMO. 5 years min should be a standard sentence.

Conditional caution he said mate. Totally different thing. A conditional caution would likely be along the lines of pay for the damage or go to court. If you are dead against a CC then inform the Police of this. Perhaps in a statement. That makes it harder (not impossible, annoyingly) for the CPS to go down that route.

If the Police are talking about conditional cautions then the choice is out of their hands. That put's it into the CPS' ballpark. They will decide what the outcome is.

What I would suggest you do is take your car to 2 or 3 garages and get quotes for repairing the damage.

If the value of the damage caused to all vehicles is over £5000 then it is a more serious offence and likely to result in court.

Nothing to stop you suing them too if you aren't happy with the outcome at court. If one of them has a vehicle, he clearly has 'some' money.

spoke with the mrs, she said alot of insurance companys wont affect your ncb for making a vandalism claim with the relevant polic docs. another choice is personally chase them for the costs. wait and see what the outcome is with the police as they might start the ball rolling. good luck with it. i would chase it all the way get the pikeys what the deserve

• 2 months later...

just a little update on this:

I got some used mirrors and Lee from the forum was very helpful in helping fit them. Actually he did most of the fitting and i was the skivvy.

I called the officer running the case yesterday as i was told i would be updated at the start of september - which hasn't happened. It turns out the scrots came off bail at the start of this month but were then rebailed because the officer on charge was on holiday. A phrase about a p1ss-up in a brewery came to mind. :doh:

Anyway they will re-answer bail on the 11th of October, which i was assured would be when the case would be closed and i would find out whether i will get any compensation and what punishment they would get.

However this is as i go on holiday for 2 weeks which is rather frustrating!! :angry:

Haven't heard from the police today so i will be giving them a call in the morning as i don't want the little knobheads getting off Scott free.

I called Admiral today to ask what would happen if i did claim. (i made sure not to say what had happened or how much it would cost etc) they said that a claim would knock my NCB down by 2 from 6 to 3. this apparently is because 5 is the maximum :surrender:

Great... ive got 20 years ncb on my car, so if i made a claim it would drop from 20 down to 3. :scare:

Id avoid insurance companies if you can as they will ream you out over the next 5 years with increased premiums. My missus had to make a claim when she ran into the back of someone in her 206 Gti the other year. I could have repaired the car for 500quid, but she went through the insurance and their repair company stung the insurer for over 3 grand, and my missus`s premium went up from 600 per year to some astronomical amount so high that she could no longer afford to insure the car, so she had to sell it and get a cheap diesel family car instead.

Stuff like these scrotes really anoy me. I think people like that should be shot. Problem solved.

With my cars im totally paranoid about where I park. I even refuse to drive my car to certain places and use the missus`s car instead in case it gets marked. And yet would you believe it, last weekend when I was washing my brand new beemer (which hasnt got a single mark on it as its only a few months old) and I find a scratch on the rear bumper already. I honestly have no idea how that could have happened as the cars only parked in a secure underground carpark during the day where i reverse up to a wall and noone can get by, or parked in my drive. So anoying.

• Like 1

i ran in the back of a low loader about 6 years ago. did 1500 of damage. over the coarse of the 5 years on the insurance details. it cost me 3.2k in price hikes.

only did a bit of damage too. about 500 quid if that. but alas i was young and stupid. (now just stupid)

hopefully the little buggers get what they deserve. a "friend" of mine a few years back did the same as the OPs little mates. smashed the wing mirrors off a proper nice M3. but made a proper job of it. what he didnt realise is that the bloke who owned it was a frigging syco and put him in hospital for 3 weeks!!! needless to say he was VERY sorry and paid the damage after.

its a shame that we cant all wrap up the cars in bubble wrap when we leave them.

I wonder if im getting old!

Remember RoboCop (well i think it was) when someone comes too close, big flames come out from under the car and vapourise the little darlings........proximity protection.

When I win the lottery, i may have to invest into this............ :evil:

Fin :drive1

i remember this you can buy that set up in south african and more :blush: due to car jacking etc but same they are not legal here :p

• 2 months later...

I had totally forgot to update this thread.

About 3-4 weeks ago i received a letter saying that 2 of the lads (out of the 5 arrested) had each been found guilty of 13 counts of causing damage under £5000.

The lads had pleaded guilty and offered to pay for the damage in order to avoid jail time. Both of them were given 200 hours of community service and between them they have to pay me the amount on the quote that i gave to the police. I was quite pleased with that. 200 hours is 6 months of 8 hour Saturdays.

I have already received quite a substantial wedge spread over 3 cheques and look forward to receiving the rest of the payments, hopefully in the not too distant future.

I guess i owe the successful resolution of this case to the kind citizen who phoned the police, resulting in these lads getting caught red-handed. Too many people these days turn a blind eye to things like that. I wish i could find them and buy them a beer.

Thanks again to everyone who offered to help me out with the repairs etc. :thumbs:

Chris

• Like 4