BMW Thefts

geoff-r

This seems to be gaining a hell of a lot of traction online, BMW thefts are on the up and the manufacturers themselves aren't doing anything to rectify the problem.

Here's a 1M being stolen:

And the tool they use to steal them:

I'd feel sick if I owned a BMW! Still to some extent this must affect some of us (the 370 owners) as our keys work on a similar principle. I can't help but think the more we rely on technology to safeguard our property the more we leave ourselves open to exploitation.

It's not just BMW's.

It's the majority of German cars, as well as Renaults and Pugs.

If you read into it, what precisely do you want a manufacturer to do?

They are forced by law to make their full diagnostics software available on the open market to prevent people having to take carse to delaerships for repairs.

As I understand it, it's OBD software and readers that is being used to reprogramme keyless entry and start systems (same as what the 370 has).

No matter what precautions or new technology car manufacturers use to try to prevent it, there will always be someone who will hack it, or in this case, buy an off the shelf unit that enables keys to be programmed to the ECU easily due to regulations.

But they still needed to gain entry to the car before they could do this anyway end off the day if they want your car and know what there doing there is not alot you could do that would stop them

No matter what precautions or new technology car manufacturers use to try to prevent it, there will always be someone who will hack it, or in this case, buy an off the shelf unit that enables keys to be programmed to the ECU easily due to regulations.

The point is that you could buy this stuff tomorrow and do it for yourself the day after. Hotwiring was never this easy.

First they need to get into the car!

If they want your car they will take it simple.

On the ST forum a guy had someone break into his house and threaten him, Mrs, and baby. Took the keys and drove off. He had a normal key!

That's why I have insurance!

Since Feb this year, my car has one of these fitted every night...

yellowdisklok.jpg

Bought it nearly 6 years ago for my DC2 Teg which basically had no security system worth mentioning...for the last 5 years its been sitting in the garage, didn't think I'll ever need it again...but still better than waking up finding the cars disappeared!!

These days the majority of breaks to homes is for the car keys. People don't break into houses for tv's etc that much anymore as you can nick one from a shop and get a shoplifting charge if caught, house breaks for high powered or expensive cars are happening all the time. If someone wants your car they will get it even it meant robbery in your own home, not a lot manufactures can do about it!!!

Utter scumbags.

Where are the stolen cars ending up? Exported, broken, re-registered? I read a similar story on the scottish elises site where a guy in aberdeeen had his Audi stolen. Apparently this is becoming very common and widely covered on Pistonheads.

Most of the high powered saloon cars are either used in crime as fast getaway cars or stripped for parts, the expensive and top of the range cars are shipped abroad. The far east, Eastern Europe and even North Africa.