Euro 2012

LRF4N

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think France will be there or there abouts. Not sure about the Spanish without Villa. (Haven't seen if Navas is in as he's a great player)

I think England will be like an old school Italy side, no real flair but solid. Except Glenn Johnson that is...... I'll be wincing everytime someone runs at him!

I can't see Spain scoring many goals without Villa and Torres who has been abysmal for about 95% of the last three years. Lots of possession yes, but enough goals to beat teams like Holland? I'm not so sure this time around.

France usually implode, along with Holland, but both look stable and in form right now. Germany will always be solid. Italy aren't bad either!

I'd go with Holland and Croatia as an outside bet.

interesting how most are going for holland and germany considering they also have portugal and denmark in their group,could be an early upset in there!

i think spain have to be favourites but i will still be cheering for england!! :yahoo:

impressed with Shearer's shaved head! Nice to see a man going bald gracefully! As for the football, i've always had a soft spot for Holland so i would LIKE them to win (as we clearly won't).

Would it be any different to when Greece won in 2004? The country was delighted obviously, but it was a one-off and football as a whole considers that side to have played the worst football ever at international level and to have won a trophy.

On the other hand, Brazil never win everything but they're still heralded correctly as footballing geniuses. They also happen to win a hell of a lot anyway, so clearly beautiful football goes hand in hand with winning. That's why it's so important to push the benefits of playing attractive football over grinding out 1-0 wins all the time IMHO.

Would it be any different to when Greece won in 2004? The country was delighted obviously, but it was a one-off and football as a whole considers that side to have played the worst football ever at international level and to have won a trophy.

On the other hand, Brazil never win everything but they're still heralded correctly as footballing geniuses. They also happen to win a hell of a lot anyway, so clearly beautiful football goes hand in hand with winning. That's why it's so important to push the benefits of playing attractive football over grinding out 1-0 wins all the time IMHO.

Any team can score a goal and then 'park the bus'. It can work (see Chelsea vs Barcelona this season) but it can only last a certain amount of games before class prevails. Chelsea kept out Barce over 2 games, over 20 games they probably would lose about 15 of them as simply defending is not enough.

This is where England struggle. We 'think' we should be up there rubbing shoulders with the Spain's, Holland's and Brazil's of the world and playing the football they do, when in reality we are probably in line with countries like Croatia and Denmark and so should our expectations. Our strength in depth is pathetic. Compare it to Brazil who could probably name 5 or 6 teams that would be better than our best eleven. It's worth also noting how many Brazil players play all over the world.......

On paper, France should beat us easily on Monday.....if we play to our strengths we've got a chance similar to Chelsea when they played Barce..........

South Americans have to play in Europe though if they want to earn good money, it's just not available to them over there. If top money was offered in salary and endorsements, many Europeans would probably swap continents.

Our strength in depth at the moment is rubbish, but it hasn't been for the last 10 years: It's been pretty good, our tactics have just been awful. This time we've got average players all over the pitch, but with a tactically astute manager. We may do okay, but it won't be pretty. Our league is so fast and furious to watch, I don't know why the national side has to slow everything down so much.

I'm looking more forward to any of the Spanish or German games than I am the England games, put it that way.

South Americans have to play in Europe though if they want to earn good money, it's just not available to them over there. If top money was offered in salary and endorsements, many Europeans would probably swap continents.

Not strictly true. The Brazilian league is one of the richest in terms of endorsements for their players. In the past some of the top talents would have been in Europe by now but the likes of Neymar & Ganso have no need to move for financial reasons right now