Which iPad?

Sarnie

Hi from sunny Portugal B)

So, my Mrs now seems to think that we need an IPad after using one here on holiday, but which one???

We have been using an iPad 1 here and it seems adequate for her needs (bloody Facebook etc) but are the iPad 2 or 3 worth going for instead? What extra features do they have?

Any recommended site to get one from? Prices seem all over the place......

Or are any other tablets worth considering?

:wacko:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point getting an ipad 1. If i was looking to get one id fork out for the ipad 3 unless i got an extremly good offer on an ipad 2. The screen resolution and speed of the latest generation is leagues ahead of the older models.

Depends how much you want to spend and if you NEED an iPad, I got a Motorola Xoom for £230 it is as fast as an ipad 1/2 although screen is nowhere near as good as an iPad 3, also takes an SD card so double the memory for £15. Ideal for what i want i.e. browsing, games etc

I'm an Apple fan but why pay twice as much for something that does nothing more than what I have :shrug:

If I had a spare £400 I would get an iPad tomorrow :lol:

2 is a much bigger jump to the 1 than the 3 is to the 2.

I use a non-3G iPad 2 with 16GB, so the baby of the range but it suits me perfectly as I don't need 3G (in an emergency I'd use my iPhone) and I only store apps on the iPad so don't need a huge amount of storage. What you want to use it for will depend on what spec you need.

My wife bought me an iPad 3 for my birthday, never had an iPad before and love it.

The screen on the iPad 3 is simply amazing, it's resolution is 2038x1536 vs 1024x768 on the iPad2 (nearly x4 more pixels in the same screen size!!!) . Infact the resolution of the iPad 3 screen is higher than the 20inch Apple Cineman display I got hooked up to my MacPro, and significantly more than what you get on a 50inch 1080P 'high definition' TV. High res photos just look so good, it's not something which you appreciate until you see it for yourself.

Otherwise I don't believe there's much difference between the iPad 2 and 3, but I cannot over emphasis how good the screen is on the iPad 3.

Price wise Apple don't do discounts, so your not going to find anyone selling them below the RRP. If you have a student card you can get an educational discount but that as much as your ever going to get off on the main price.

Spec wise, your simply paying for additional memory and 3G connectivity. I've got alll my music and photos available on 'cloud' storage, a combination of iTunes match and FlickrPro. So actually i find even though my iPad only has 16gig storage is more than enough, even with all my Apps (mainly games :lol: ). You can also get a 3G version but unless your going to spend £££ on a dedicated sim card with mobile data plan for it I don't really see the point, accessing movies/music/photos over a 3G network will eat up any data plan pretty quickly!!

There are other tablets around, but given we've got 3 Apple computers in the house, 2 iPhones, the iPad was really the only tablet option for me. With iCloud I can keep all my Apple products in sync without having to do anything, been able to add an event onto my iPhone at work and having the calendar on my laptop/desktop/iPad update automatically is fab, and it's free!! iCloud even backs up my iPhone/iPad directly over wifi, which means I've not had to physically connect my iPad into my computer ever!!

However despite the fab screen and some excellent productively Apps (Pages/iDraw/eSketch/iMovies) because of Apple denies you access to the iPads file system, and refuse to let you use plug in a USB stick to load/save files it really hinders just how much work you can do on a iPad, so if your not heavily invested in Apple products it might be worth looking at Galaxy tabs, in Asia they are selling very well but to be honest I have no experience of them....

Just bought an ipad3 16gb a month ago..love it, the screen is pin sharp. Never had a tablet before. I just use it for web browsing, sky go, tv on demand, mail etc.. It does everything I need. Watching tv, films is surprisingly good.

Love the fact it boots up quick, my laptop takes an age and now only gets used for work. The battery life is also very good, I believe better than the ipad2.

Read all the reviews and the ipad3 always comes top.

The ipad2's are still £299, spend the extra £100 and get a 3.

I've got an iPad 2 and having spent about 15mins on an iPad 3, i couldnt tell a single difference between them. :thumbs:

Ploooos 1

2 will almost certainly satisfy anyone who isn't a resolution whore.

And it's cheaper :thumbs:

I've got an iPad 2 and having spent about 15mins on an iPad 3, i couldnt tell a single difference between them. :thumbs:

The iPad 3 has the retina display doesn't it that should be apparent straight away :thumbs:

Yes it does but I honestly couldn't tell a difference after 15mins.

The iPad 3 has the retina display doesn't it that should be apparent straight away :thumbs:

I kind of know what you mean, I was like that with the iPhone 2 and original one, side by side it was an amazing difference on the screen but then you get used to it after a while.....

Maybe that's why so many famous people shag around when they have an absolutely stunning missus......

I kind of know what you mean, I was like that with the iPhone 2 and original one, side by side it was an amazing difference on the screen but then you get used to it after a while.....

Maybe that's why so many famous people shag around when they have an absolutely stunning missus......

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok, so the consensus is to forget the iPad 1. And then get the 3 if it's. It more than £100 than a 2?

So I'm looking at about £400 for a 3? How come they are like £700 on eBay??

We don't need it to be able to connect to 3G as it will never leave the house so will always be on our wifi......