Most economical speed on the motorway

HassanZ

Hi all,

I've always been curious about what the most economical speed is for the 350z.

I've heard a few people say its between 55/60mph but I'm guessing that finding is based on a smaller engine which will rev higher than a 350z at that speed (in the highest gear).

Seeing as the 350z has a 3.5 litre engine with 6th gear revving at 2k at 60mph, has anyone ever discovered the most efficient speed to burn the least fuel?

It'll be more economical at 60 than at 70, but not by much. Once you start pushing over 75 then the fuel economy will start dropping off. I recently drove 35 miles each way on a dual carriageway, up to Motorway standard, at 65-70 on the way there I averaged 30.3, on the way back at around 75-80 it was 25.8 (I was in a rush, long story :surrender: ).

We may all find ourselves having to drive more economically in the next few weeks :dry:

Pete

I got 35mpg out of a 350-mile round trip once... it was on business and i usually drive my other car but it was in the garage, so i wanted to do it as cheaply as possible in the zed as it costs me money to drive the zed on business typically :lol:

That was at a constant 59mph. Man it was boring!!

Any car not doing 70mph on the motorway in good conditions should be dragged to the nearest verge and burned. Can't stand people that dawdle along for no reason.

thats what the inside lane is for, its when they sit in the middle or outside lane that annoys me.

remember the speed limit is by definition a limit not a target ;)

Any car not doing 70mph on the motorway in good conditions should be dragged to the nearest verge and burned. Can't stand people that dawdle along for no reason.

+1 although on the motorway its not so bad as you can overtake, but on back roads it really gets my goat when you get stuck behind some pensioner doing 45mph in a 60mph completely unaware of the queue of traffic behind them.

Hello,

have a look at this thread from a while back.

I have done this run a couple of times since and found similar economy - i aim for 2500 revs in 6th gear with the cruise control on.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49191

Jay.

I remember reading an article a year or so ago which tested the best speed for maximum fuel economy. Generally speaking the slower you go, the better the fuel economy. Even if that means pottering along at 30 in as high a gear as possible without labouring the engine. The thing about speed is that air resistance increases dispropotiantely the faster you go. Once you're over 30 mph it really starts to have a big effect. So the best speed on the motorway for fuel economy is likely to be as slow as possible.

The article also disussed the 56mph used as the benchmark for economical driving, and found that there is nothing special about that speed at all. As suggested above driving slower than 56mph will lead to even greater fuel efficiency in most cases.

Some of us un-up revved 276 BHP JDMs (well me at least) seem to get over 30 mpg at roughly constant 80ish trundling on the motorway. :yahoo:

Seems plenty economical to me - way better than the 2.0 Subaru twin turbo I used to own. I think I could stand about 1 sec trying to go for Eco mode at 55mph.. ;)

I've found with most cars (mine included) sit below 3000rpm and it'll keep your fuel nicely. Round about 60mph. Or less at 2 and a half. With the big engine in the Zed i'd assume it'd happily sit at low revs in high gear without much of an effort...

And I know I don't have a Zed but trust me...this 2.0 weedy thing has shocking fuel economy for its power. Average...25-30mpg...a good bit less if you want it to be lol

Yet a Zed can do this.. just...and its more than double the power :dry:

I usually drive at 69 and get 33mpg ish like people say the slower you go the better economy becomes until engine is laboured.

Aerodynamic drag is a square function relative to speed so at 20 if drag were 1000N at 40 it would be 4000N at 60 it would be 9000N assuming all other fluid properties remained constant.

Just done Edinburgh - Liverpool and back at the weekend. 75mph on the needle all the way down & back.

Trip computer reads average speed of 64mph & 31.3 MPG.

Happy enough with that, decent pace & decent (relatively speaking) MPG imo!

I drive at 70ish on the motorways and always average at least 32mpg on decent trips.

If I had to drive at 55/60mph just to get a few more mpg I think I would rather get out and walk :thumbdown:

I drive slow on purpose sometimes so I can listen to music :lol:

I drive at 70ish on the motorways and always average at least 32mpg on decent trips.

If I had to drive at 55/60mph just to get a few more mpg I think I would rather get out and walk :thumbdown:

Sameeeee!!!!! At 60/70mph it's quiet enough inside the car to listen to music at a normal volume. When you begin to exceed the 70mph barrier, it gets excessively loud in there, even at just 5mph more! :wacko:

But then since I fitted the HFCs (thanks to you and CS :lol:), the car has become much louder at 3k revs when under load. When reaching 75mph, the revs come closer to the 2.5/3k mark which may be the reason.

Haha good reason, also at 55/60 I wouldn't even be in 6th gear :lol: you have to get to motor way speeds to use 6th

Sameeeee!!!!! At 60/70mph it's quiet enough inside the car to listen to music at a normal volume. When you begin to exceed the 70mph barrier, it gets excessively loud in there, even at just 5mph more! :wacko:

But then since I fitted the HFCs (thanks to you and CS :lol:), the car has become much louder at 3k revs when under load. When reaching 75mph, the revs come closer to the 2.5/3k mark which may be the reason.

I don't have a problem hearing my stereo at any speed :woohoo: