HELP , very soon to be 350z owners but which one

dave/cath

Hi guy and gals

Me and the mrs are looking to buy out first 350z but which one !!!!!,im told that the 2007 on wards has a new engine !! is it much better than the old one if anyone could help with some feed back it would be a great help.

Welcome :wave:

The 2007 onwards engine had a significant redesign and adds in the region of 15 bhp, its commonly known as the HR engine, in other words it has a higher rev limit than previous versions. . The engine is slightly taller than the earlier versions so they can usually be spotted by the bulge in the bonnet, but as this is a popular mod for the older Zeds its always best to take a peek under the bonnet to make sure it has the twin intakes.

Pete

I recently bought an 04, but if I could have afforded it, i'd have went with the newer 07 onwards car. Another thing that made me choose the 04 was the tax, cars registered March(?) 06 onwards will be int he highest tax bracket which is £400+, pre 06 is £260. I know it's only a couple of hundred quid but it mattered to me.

Welcome, plenty of good threads on here advising on cars and what to look out for.

I think it really boils down to what you can afford. The HR engine`d cars came out in 2007 and had 309bhp. The engine was 80% new over the previous engines. Nissan really developed it well, it even had a dual air take ram air system which gave the car more power at 60mph. A common misconception is down to the fact they are noted as the 313 model, which a lot of people assume means they have 313bhp. In fact, most car dealer for sale adverts I see state they have 313bhp... when really they are only 309bhp.

The older zeds only had 276bhp, and the "rev up" models had nearly 300bhp which from memory were around 2005/2006.

Some buyers opt for the older zeds as you can pick them up quite cheaply now. They then fit a modified pendulum, different air intakes, different exhaust, then a remap etc. etc. and you can end up with maybe 300bhp. You will pay less road tax as cars made after 2006 will pay the higher rate (£460!), but you may pay more insurance as your car will be modified.

Good luck!

well what can i say but a big thank you to all its nice to see that you guys are not all talk and do give some great feed back. me and the mrs are looking to spend £10,000 ish and it looks like a 2007 313bhp (309 bhp ) is the one to go for we are looking for a black or blue roadster its going to be our new sunday play thing !!!!! :yahoo: so if anyone out there knows of a nice roadster up for grabs ya know where we are.

thank you all so very much for all the info its been a great help and i must say it sounds like a 2007 roadster is what we are looking for me and the mrs have £10,000 to spend on our new sunday play thing :yahoo: so if you guys know of anyone selling a nice black or blue roadster ya know where we are.

thank you all so very much for all the info its been a great help and i must say it sounds like a 2007 roadster is what we are looking for me and the mrs have £10,000 to spend on our new sunday play thing :yahoo: so if you guys know of anyone selling a nice black or blue roadster ya know where we are.

I don't wish to rain on your parade but you'll have to stretch your budget a bit to get a 2007 (313) roadster, there's not many of them about, 300 or so in The U.K and right now with the summer just about to arrive (hopefully), the few that are on the market look to be fetching upwards of 11k. You could definitely get a 2006 facelift (300) roadster for that sort of budget though, the difference in performance is pretty small and interior trim is almost identical to the 313 version...just a thought :)

Pete

is it worth spending that bit more for a 2007 or would a 2006 be OK? Its just a sunday and sunny evening plaything we're looking for and to come along to some of the meets. I've heard that the engine in the 2007 model is 80% different. Is this an advantage? The interior sounds similar. GT pack available on both. The Mrs thinks it might be better to get the newer model, :bang: please advise...........

Well, maybe I spoke too soon :blush:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/07-07-NISSAN- ... 591wt_1396

10K but with 54k on the clock and Twilight Grey :shrug:

From what I've seen,Twilight Grey is definitely the most common colour for the 313 roadster. They did come in an assortment of colours, Black, Midnight Blue, Rosso Red, Pearl White, Universal Silver and Temper Orange but most of those are pretty rare or very rare (I've only ever seen one other 313 roadster in the flesh and that had been wrapped :lol: ).

Indeed the 313's engine is 80% different but the 0-62 time and the top speed is identical to the 2006 facelift models. The engines do have slightly different characteristics though. I don't have any working knowledge of the first facelift model but I think the only difference inside is the illuminated ignition switch and maybe the light in the door pocket. I paid some 17.9k for Caroline's 2008 313 roadster with 7k on the clock back in 2010, probably worth maybe 12-13k now but I think that apart from The limited edition GT4, it'll probably hold its price better than most of the Zed range.

Pete

Thank you for that Jetset maybe we could save some money and look at a 2006 Z as you know we are very new to the z and you said facelift !!!! how can i tell a real one from one thats made to look like a facelife model !! we are going to test drive one friday :yahoo:

Well, maybe I spoke too soon :blush:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/07-07-NISSAN- ... 591wt_1396

10K but with 54k on the clock and Twilight Grey :shrug:

From what I've seen,Twilight Grey is definitely the most common colour for the 313 roadster. They did come in an assortment of colours, Black, Midnight Blue, Rosso Red, Pearl White, Universal Silver and Temper Orange but most of those are pretty rare or very rare (I've only ever seen one other 313 roadster in the flesh and that had been wrapped :lol: ).

Indeed the 313's engine is 80% different but the 0-62 time and the top speed is identical to the 2006 facelift models. The engines do have slightly different characteristics though. I don't have any working knowledge of the first facelift model but I think the only difference inside is the illuminated ignition switch and maybe the light in the door pocket. I paid some 17.9k for Caroline's 2008 313 roadster with 7k on the clock back in 2010, probably worth maybe 12-13k now but I think that apart from The limited edition GT4, it'll probably hold its price better than most of the Zed range.

Pete

That is *very* cheap. As an owner of a 313 roadster ive been keeping a close eye the prices and 2007 models tend to be around £12k with around 35k on the clock. Okay, so that one has a bit higher mileage, and although it has the bonnet bulge its listed as a 296bhp model. (maybe the dealer isnt sure what it is!)

The extras on that particular one from new would have been the GT pack (nearly £3k), the metallic paint (£600) and possibly the Rays wheels - although Nissan did seem to put them on a lot of the face lift roadsters as stock.

I think theres a thread on here for the differences between normal & facelift. The differences ive noticed are, the front bumper is different, the interior has more alloy trim inside (like around the air con knobs), the ignition switch is illuminated and the centre console bit between the seats is different. The LED rear lights also came in around this sort of time and the dual xenon headlamps.

For your money, ive seen 2004 model roadsters for sale recently. So really id go for as new as possible as long as its got a good history.