Looked at new car today shocked at px quote

player2301

I tell you what, I can't actually believe that Zeds are trading for circa £5k now.......I think it's because I was involved with them at the start and spent £22k on my first and £26k on my second, it's hard to comprehend them only being worth £5k now............makes them a bargain now!!

Yep, well, look at the prices of XK8s and 996s (and any Alfa from 2011)!

i can believe it, i got my XKR for a bargain price, the previous 5 owners lost about 70k between them

Yes I saw a lot of XKRs going for four figures but was put off by the potentially wallet-busting cost if an SC went "poof". The insurance was also £400 more for me and my girlfriend said they're grandad cars (even though I think they look and sound great). Zed seemed more reliable and slightly cheaper to run. Hope you maanged to find a good one though. Mum's "boy"friend has a 2009 4.2 and it's very lush indeed....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough before buying my Zed I was stuck between it and an XK8 (XKR insurance would kill me) It had the appeal of a monster 4.0 V8 or 4.2 if a couple of years younger and they are truly stunning pieces of art. The reasoning towards buying the Zed instead was -

1. despite being a V8, unless it had an after-market exhaust, it was way too quiet, sounded kind of like a large engined 4 pot.

2. Rust problems seems to be way to common for a car which is basically the same age as the Zed which doesn't suffer nearly as badly.

3. No freaking CD player in the cockpit, I know it has the 6 changer in the boot, but I like the option to change to a 7th CD without having to get out of the car.

4. Kind of along the lines of no. 2, pretty much everyone I seen had been resprayed a couple of years back and it was easy to see (and we think we have crap paint)

5. Price. For one in pretty good condition with a decent service history, 4 years older than my Zed is about the same price with 40k more on the clock.

6. The Zed is a much cooler looking, sexier car with much more alternatives to OEM parts and can be cheaper to service (for me anyway)

Having said all this, i'd still love an XK in the future. A guy in work has a champagne XKR and it is immaculate! Stunning stunning car!

Theres some weirdness on this thread ......... why anyone would go from a Z to a half arsed FWD beige TT I really cant understand, and as for the last post ........

1. A standard Zed is quiet too, Until it has an aftermarket exhaust

2. Look harder

3. Spend £150 on a CD player?

4. Same as 2, funnily enough :D

5. Its more money because its twice the car, its a V8 Jag FFS.

6. See your final sentence.

XKR's are Zed money these days and trust me, if you are into what they do they absolutely **** on a 350Z. Never mind a Diet Audi TT. :lol:

Theres some weirdness on this thread ......... why anyone would go from a Z to a half arsed FWD beige TT I really cant understand, and as for the last post ........

2. Look harder

XKR's are Zed money these days and trust me, if you are into what they do they absolutely **** on a 350Z. Never mind a Diet Audi TT. :lol:

Well, the standard Zed's not THAT quiet....

I don't think anyone would is disagreeing with you. My point was that the XK8/R were slightly out of my budget. Had I another £5k and could afford an extra grand or two in running costs & insurance etc, I might have bought one over the Zed. But I probably would've just gone for a 313 instead :D

And we think zed prices are bad. I saw a mint 2005 RX8 with 21k on the clock for sale this week for a fraction over £2500. Imagine the part ex price a dealer would give you on that?

Indeed - although they're known for being even thirstier than the zed, less reliable and slower. Not the prettiest car either. £2500 is very very cheap though. 90% depreciation in 7 years is pretty horrific though.

90% over 7 years does sound a lot, but I was working out the figures earlier in the week and all the cars ive owned have lost about 40% over 4 years - both my zed and even normal hatchback cars.

Have to say im not a fan of the Audi TT, although I had a bit of fun with a brand spanking new TT RS Roadster on the way home from work a few days back and that did look very nice indeed. It was slightly quicker off roundabouts than I was, presumably because they have 4wd and are a fraction quicker 0-60, but from about 30mph upwards we were totally neck and neck. Had a look on the internet when I got back home and they are about £40,000 !!!

2. Look harder

1. I have to admit I haven't heard a Zed with an aftermarket exhaust IRL, but the Zed as stock has a beautiful note IMO.

2. I wasn't saying they aren't out there, but if I found one in comparable Zed condition and miles, it started to approach 5 figure territory Which I just didn't have.

3. But then I lose the OEM look of the Jag dash. A flashy Sony etc head unit wouldn't look that great in a Jag IMO.

4. Ref No. 2 :D

5. I am not disputing it's worth good money if it's a great example, but my pocket just wasn't deep enough. I wouldn't say it's twice the car, though. Yes it has an extra 500/700cc, 20bhp and 2 more pots, the seats are like sitting in a palace and even your shopping gets to feel comfortable in the rear storage area/seats, but the Zed has more gadgets and easier to customize to your exact taste.

6. Yup, but his is one of those XK's that won't be for sale because they are so perfect.

I have no doubt an XKR with it's extra 120 supercharged HP will @*!# all over a Zed, but I was after an 8, not an R, insurance would rip me a new one if I went with a 4.2 V8 400bhp monster!

I had a bit of fun with a brand spanking new TT RS Roadster on the way home from work a few days back and that did look very nice indeed. It was slightly quicker off roundabouts than I was, presumably because they have 4wd and are a fraction quicker 0-60, but from about 30mph upwards we were totally neck and neck. Had a look on the internet when I got back home and they are about £40,000 !!!

If he was that level with you, then he wasn't trying. The TTRS is fast as fook, and I'd do well to keep one honest in the 911.

2. Look harder

1. I have to admit I haven't heard a Zed with an aftermarket exhaust IRL, but the Zed as stock has a beautiful note IMO.

2. I wasn't saying they aren't out there, but if I found one in comparable Zed condition and miles, it started to approach 5 figure territory Which I just didn't have.

3. But then I lose the OEM look of the Jag dash. A flashy Sony etc head unit wouldn't look that great in a Jag IMO.

4. Ref No. 2 :D

5. I am not disputing it's worth good money if it's a great example, but my pocket just wasn't deep enough. I wouldn't say it's twice the car, though. Yes it has an extra 500/700cc, 20bhp and 2 more pots, the seats are like sitting in a palace and even your shopping gets to feel comfortable in the rear storage area/seats, but the Zed has more gadgets and easier to customize to your exact taste.

6. Yup, but his is one of those XK's that won't be for sale because they are so perfect.

I have no doubt an XKR with it's extra 120 supercharged HP will @*!# all over a Zed, but I was after an 8, not an R, insurance would rip me a new one if I went with a 4.2 V8 400bhp monster!

completly understand where you're both coming from,

you're right about rust, i have a few areas to fix at some point, at the moment i'm making sure its mechanically perfect before i play with noise and looks etc.

standard xhaust has 5 silencers in it which is great on long drives as its so quiet.

as for gadgets my XKR has more than the zed, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view and auto dimming wing mirrors. sat nav, handsfree, adaptive cruise. full electric memory seats.

but you are right when it comes to running one. its not a jag if something isn't broken on it. but if your handy with a spanner then there is lots of 2nd hand parts, basically avoid jag dealerships unless its a part you need. hadit a year and spent about £200 on parts to fix things etc.

its the old horses for course debate.

as for parts there is a fair bit of fiddling to be done on the jag, but none of it cheap. :blush:

I had a bit of fun with a brand spanking new TT RS Roadster on the way home from work a few days back and that did look very nice indeed. It was slightly quicker off roundabouts than I was, presumably because they have 4wd and are a fraction quicker 0-60, but from about 30mph upwards we were totally neck and neck. Had a look on the internet when I got back home and they are about £40,000 !!!

If he was that level with you, then he wasn't trying. The TTRS is fast as fook, and I'd do well to keep one honest in the 911.

336bhp, 4.6 0-60. So not hugely more than the 313 zed in the real world. Maybe he wasnt trying, but seems strange that he followed me for 8 miles, waiting for me to put my foot down, then when we did have a bit of fun he wouldnt try. Either way, they are very nice cars and very tuneable. But for £40k you are spoilt for choice really as to what incredible cars you can buy.

I bet if you are reasonably old (like me) the XKR insurance wouldnt be as bad as you think. All Im saying is that after the recent defences of the 350Z's dynamic ability by calling it a GT car, that there are better GT cars out there for similar money. :thumbs:

I bet if you are reasonably old (like me) the XKR insurance wouldnt be as bad as you think. All Im saying is that after the recent defences of the 350Z's dynamic ability by calling it a GT car, that there are better GT cars out there for similar money. :thumbs:

i'm 30 and my insurance renewal at the end of this month with 5 years NCB is £400 for a 4 litre SC V8 :teeth::teeth: down £200 from last year now that i turned 30 :teeth:

336bhp, 4.6 0-60. So not hugely more than the 313 zed in the real world. Maybe he wasnt trying, but seems strange that he followed me for 8 miles, waiting for me to put my foot down, then when we did have a bit of fun he wouldnt try. Either way, they are very nice cars and very tuneable. But for £40k you are spoilt for choice really as to what incredible cars you can buy.

4.6 to 60 is about a second quicker than the zed which is a lifetime, plus it is lighter, 4WD and with more BHP. Theres no shame in it being quicker than a zed due to being about £20k more when new......

4.6 to 60 is about a second quicker than the zed which is a lifetime, plus it is lighter, 4WD and with more BHP. Theres no shame in it being quicker than a zed due to being about £20k more when new......

Yep, that and higher Audi servicing and component costs etc. Guess it's fairer to compare the TTRS to a Cayman, price wise.

2. Look harder

There really are some plebs on this forum lol

Erm maybe cause i wanted to

Really weird that is

Been there and done the zed and wasnt gonna keep it forever on the off chance that i might get slated on a forum lol

has been fun x x

Oddly enough before buying my Zed I was stuck between it and an XK8 (XKR insurance would kill me) It had the appeal of a monster 4.0 V8 or 4.2 if a couple of years younger and they are truly stunning pieces of art. The reasoning towards buying the Zed instead was -

1. despite being a V8, unless it had an after-market exhaust, it was way too quiet, sounded kind of like a large engined 4 pot.

2. Rust problems seems to be way to common for a car which is basically the same age as the Zed which doesn't suffer nearly as badly.

3. No freaking CD player in the cockpit, I know it has the 6 changer in the boot, but I like the option to change to a 7th CD without having to get out of the car.

4. Kind of along the lines of no. 2, pretty much everyone I seen had been resprayed a couple of years back and it was easy to see (and we think we have crap paint)

5. Price. For one in pretty good condition with a decent service history, 4 years older than my Zed is about the same price with 40k more on the clock.

6. The Zed is a much cooler looking, sexier car with much more alternatives to OEM parts and can be cheaper to service (for me anyway)

Having said all this, i'd still love an XK in the future. A guy in work has a champagne XKR and it is immaculate! Stunning stunning car!

Not commenting on the XKR but fook me I've never been so disapointed in a car as I was when I test drove the XK8. It had an aftermarket zorst but it sounded appalling. The engine was a real let down for me and the fact that it had all this beautiful Jag wood next to what presumably was the control/heater panel out of a Ford Granada was a real let down.

As Biccie said........if you don't want something to tinker with this is also very much the wrong car for you.

Looks wise I personally don't think there are many cars that have aged so well as the XK

never drove an xk8 so can;t comment on them, i'd say the jag is an aquired taste, i love it but it has it's weaknesses. can't explain why i love it more than the zed but i do. there are things the zed does better, but for me i have caught the jag bug, which i never did with the zed. I tried to catch it, i wanted to catch it. but the XKR is everything i wanted in a GT car.

as for tinkering :lol:

it just so happens to have gone in for an ABS issue, £200 to repair, turns out when mine was built they trapped the rear harness between the sub frame and the chassis, 11 years on it finally wore through and earthed out on the chassis. i suppose thats what you get when brummies are responsible for putting your car together :lol:

already replaced 2 coil packs 2 wheel speed sensors

jobs to do:

brush down and paint seal the underside of the car is going to be about £150

sort the rust out on the rear of the car anywhere between £1k-£2k (depends on what i do with it)

timing chain tensioners need doing thats another £1000 although i might do the lower pulley at the same time and squeeze another 40 bhp out. (that will only cost me £120)

but i love tinkering :wacko: possibly a crazy person :lol:

theres some other tidiyng work to do. possibly another £600 of work but then the car would be in mint condition. :blush:

What about the interior? Did you ever manage to find the rare stuff we talked about last year?

i'm watching out for an original set of jag recaro's to come up rare as hens teeth. although they are a bonus extra and not a priority :lol:

never drove an xk8 so can;t comment on them,

I get the feeling they're very much a different beast to the XKR. Or maybe I just test drove a bad one - one thing I'll say for it though it was so stunningly beautiful I almost bought it so I could just park it on the drive and stroke it.

completly understand where you're both coming from,

you're right about rust, i have a few areas to fix at some point, at the moment i'm making sure its mechanically perfect before i play with noise and looks etc.

standard xhaust has 5 silencers in it which is great on long drives as its so quiet.

as for gadgets my XKR has more than the zed, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view and auto dimming wing mirrors. sat nav, handsfree, adaptive cruise. full electric memory seats.

but you are right when it comes to running one. its not a jag if something isn't broken on it. but if your handy with a spanner then there is lots of 2nd hand parts, basically avoid jag dealerships unless its a part you need. hadit a year and spent about £200 on parts to fix things etc.

its the old horses for course debate.

as for parts there is a fair bit of fiddling to be done on the jag, but none of it cheap. :blush:

Does the R come standard with all those bits and bobs or were they options? Auto lights would be nice to have in the Zed, along with the auto wipers and auto dimming features. How is the Sat Nav? Most people who have OEM GPS seem to find it pretty useless compared to Garmin etc...

I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, however I like setting mine and using the steering controls to adjust speed pretending I'm playing Gran Turismo :teeth:

Memory seats are something I really really want! It takes me ages to find the exact settings I had the seat at after someone else has driven her. I'm actually seriously considering disconnecting the controls once I finally get it back to perfect so it doesn't happen again :rant:

Anyway, have you any pics of the XK? I'd love to have a peek as I was brought up with Jag's around me, mostly XJ6 and XJS though...

Does the R come standard with all those bits and bobs or were they options? Auto lights would be nice to have in the Zed, along with the auto wipers and auto dimming features. How is the Sat Nav? Most people who have OEM GPS seem to find it pretty useless compared to Garmin etc...

Auto lights and auto wipers are standard as are the memory seats and auto rear view dipping, on my model car the auto dipping wing mirrors and adaptive cruise and sat nav were options. not sure of the full options list but i who ever bought mine originally specced it out fully as it also has the upgrade 20" BBS detroit wheels and the giant Brembo brake setup. as for the Nav it its 12 years old now and doesn;t do postcodes but for 98% of all things it does a great job for the other 2% i have my phone nav setup

I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, however I like setting mine and using the steering controls to adjust speed pretending I'm playing Gran Turismo :teeth:

adaptive is awesome on UK road normal cruise is just as hard work as actually driving as people don't maintain a set speed in the UK.

Memory seats are something I really really want! It takes me ages to find the exact settings I had the seat at after someone else has driven her. I'm actually seriously considering disconnecting the controls once I finally get it back to perfect so it doesn't happen again :rant:Memory seats have been great, its meant i'm more willing to let my wife drive it. which means i can drink more when we go out now :lol:

Anyway, have you any pics of the XK? I'd love to have a peek as I was brought up with Jag's around me, mostly XJ6 and XJS though...

Yes (pic whore time :lol:

Jfinish9.jpg

Jfinish3.jpg

Jfinish5.jpg

jFinish11.jpg

Jfinish10.jpg

Jfinish6.jpg