Dissapointing dyno day

Adam rs

Been to RS tuning in Leeds today to have my uprev tweaked.

Fitted Berk HFC's and AMS pulleys last week and read that the sport cats could cause a leaning of the fuel/air ratio.

This is correct the car didnt even complete its first run before Paul was worried by the mixture and aborted at 4000rpm.

He then set about sorting it and gave the car a run.It was already at 292bhp from the previous uprev map in june last year.

Todays first run was 0.6 bhp down with torque exactly the same at 275lb/ft.

I thought this was a good starting point and we would see an improvement,Sadly not.

Paul spent alot of time with it today and we still only ended up with 296bhp and 275lb/ft.

Thats an increase of 4bhp and no torque gain for the total of £670(BERKS/PULLEYS/MAPPING)

I didnt expect massive gains and was under no illusions as to what to expect but am a little dissapointed.

This is by no means a slur on the lads at RS tuning,they know their onions and i will no doubt use them again in the future.

I have now spent the following on the car-

Milltek-800

uprev-480

Plenum spacer-150

JWT pop charger-100

Berk HFC's-370

Ams pulleys-180

Thats a total of -£2080 for what in the end was 15lb/ft and 12bhp!

Dont get me wrong,the car drives great but i was looking forward to today and now feel the Berks were a complete waste of money.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have almost the exact same set up (except pulleys) on my Zed and it made the equivalent of 300bhp which I was more than happy with.

But then I wasn't chasing BHP I just wanted to get the best out of the car.

This thread should be made a sticky for all those that come on here and say 'what are the best mods to get the best BHP from my Zed' then maybe finally they will get the message :bang:

What year is your car? As the facelift Zed doesn't give great gains on NA.

If its pre facelift then I'm surprised.

I'm facelift and almost fell over at the small increase in figures, which was mapped and dyno'd at Abbey and as Mark said, facelift models don't see great NA increases.

But as others have said it changes the characteristics of the car and the sound makes it feel faster :thumbs:

Would probably have been better off spending that 2grand on a facelift car which had more power out of the factory.

Its amazing how little power tuning gives the zed. Especially for me as im used to turbo cars. On my Renault 5 GT Turbo I got around 25bhp (20% power increase) just by poking a hole in 1 pipe. Now THATS what I call cheap power!

This is a good post, I know its no consulation to you but I was thinking of berks + invidia dual for my hr, I too have no illusions about massive improvements, it makes me wonder if spending £1500 for a small increase is really worth it!! :dry:

On my Renault 5 GT Turbo I got around 25bhp (20% power increase) just by poking a hole in 1 pipe. Now THATS what I call cheap power!

Had my RS Turbo chipped for £300, power increased from 130 bhp to 195 bhp. Collins Engineering who supplied and fitted the parts said they had a 225 bhp kit but that was pretty expensive as it included suspension and brake upgrades.

Pete

Been to RS tuning in Leeds today to have my uprev tweaked.

Fitted Berk HFC's and AMS pulleys last week and read that the sport cats could cause a leaning of the fuel/air ratio.

This is correct the car didnt even complete its first run before Paul was worried by the mixture and aborted at 4000rpm.

He then set about sorting it and gave the car a run.It was already at 292bhp from the previous uprev map in june last year.

Todays first run was 0.6 bhp down with torque exactly the same at 275lb/ft.

I thought this was a good starting point and we would see an improvement,Sadly not.

Paul spent alot of time with it today and we still only ended up with 296bhp and 275lb/ft.

Thats an increase of 4bhp and no torque gain for the total of £670(BERKS/PULLEYS/MAPPING)

I didnt expect massive gains and was under no illusions as to what to expect but am a little dissapointed.

This is by no means a slur on the lads at RS tuning,they know their onions and i will no doubt use them again in the future.

I have now spent the following on the car-

Milltek-800

uprev-480

Plenum spacer-150

JWT pop charger-100

Berk HFC's-370

Ams pulleys-180

Thats a total of -£2080 for what in the end was 15lb/ft and 12bhp!

Dont get me wrong,the car drives great but i was looking forward to today and now feel the Berks were a complete waste of money.

As already mentioned the bhp figures only does not say the full tale of the improvements gained ;)

Secondly I don't think you only gained 12whp/15lb ft from stock. Depending on what year your car is you would be any where from 230-250whp max at stock so you have gained more than you credit your efforts.

Thirdly you could have achieved this same gain with less cost if you had planned ahead and tuned once, got cheaper but still good quality components eg a scorpion instead of a millitek or not buying stuff that makes no power like the pop charger when OEM with a good filter works better. Same as HFC vs decats. Yes you got to re swap for MOT :p

I don't mean to be harsh so don't take it wrong, its just to show you the big picture.

Finally depending on what year your car is, an MREV2 would get you more mid range torque and a bit more on peak power and torque. You would have read here what it cost to get power NA on the zed :teeth:

So enjoy you car and don't be dissappointed :drive1

This is a good post, I know its no consulation to you but I was thinking of berks + invidia dual for my hr, I too have no illusions about massive improvements, it makes me wonder if spending £1500 for a small increase is really worth it!! :dry:

I'm the same, i priced up exhaust, berks and uprev and as much as I'm sure I'd enjoy the enhanced noise I enjoy the car as standard and right now would rather the money in my pocket.

I do miss my turbo cars as the power per pound it superb!

Years ago I read a book about fast road tuning based around bhp or torque gains per £ spent. However, what that does not tell you about is the rest of the experience - power delivery, sound, driveability, longevity of the components, etc. Nevertheless it is good to be reminded of the equation from time to time ;) I'll probably still end up spending too much one day.

On my Renault 5 GT Turbo I got around 25bhp (20% power increase) just by poking a hole in 1 pipe. Now THATS what I call cheap power!

Had my RS Turbo chipped for £300, power increased from 130 bhp to 195 bhp. Collins Engineering who supplied and fitted the parts said they had a 225 bhp kit but that was pretty expensive as it included suspension and brake upgrades.

Pete

I got from 120bhp (stock) to 150bhp for about 10quid. That included buying a drill bit to drill the carb jets out to a bigger side to increase the fueling. To get from 150bhp to an approx 225bhp cost me £650 for hybrid turbo, £600 to have the head, carb, manifolds all gasflowed and ported out (17.5% more flow) and £600 for new uprated group N clutch.

its for this reason that im not going to bother tuning my zed... just not worth it for the cost. Im going to get an exhaust for noise, but other than that, i'd put the money towards a supercharger.

the difficulty in tuning a 350Z was one of the negatives for me when considering the car - it would have been considerably easier to tune a turbo car for more power, but the advantages of a smooth torque curve and no lag helped sway me to a zed :thumbs:

Previous to the 1st uprev it had a standard air box with hks filter.This made 284 bhp with the plenum spacer and milltek.

After uprev it made 292bhp/275lbft (June 2011)

2nd uprev today with Berks,pop charger and pulleys started at 291.4bhp/275lbft and ended at 296.7bhp/275bhp.

Its the early engine not the rev-up.

Another point to bear in mind is that if i had bought a later car rev-up or HE i would have still fitted an exhaust/uprev and Berks.I would then have spent £20,000 instead of the £15,000 i have in it now.

Although people suggest that there are gains within the mid range i can assure you there are not.When we overlayed the previous run from last year some points are even marginally lower.

Anyway,theres no more i can "bolt on" as it were,so i think im at a dead end with this one.Might as well enjoy it for the reliable good looking car it is and leave it at that.It was bought to replace my cosworth and unfortunately besides not having to weld it every MOT it falls someway short in the enjoyment i got from the RS.

Ive no intention of selling the nissan but urge people to consider the small gains from the stacks of money you have to put in to it.If you are in the fortunate position to be able to afford the upgrades and dont want to feel as if your car isnt at its full potential,then,as i was,this thread wont bother you,but if you have to save and go without other things then keep your money.

Milltek-800

You probably needed a new exhaust anyway, £800 for a full system like the Milltek is about average, you can do it cheaper but you can also spend a lot more. I have NEVER seen anyone on here say that changing the exhaust makes any benefits in power.

upRev-480

Probably the best money you can spend on a Zed, it totally transforms the throttle response and mis range torque, it isn't always about numbers. Also you spent so much because you got an upRev before you got everything sorted so had to remap twice, so more dyno time...

Plenum spacer-150

Could be argued does not do a lot without an upRev, but if you are going to get a map you might as well get the best out of the engine you can.

JWT pop charger-100

Well documented on here that this loses you BHP in general so not sure why you bolted one on, maybe you enjoy the sound in which case why moan about dyno results?

Berk HFC's-370

Again purely for noise, if you wanted more BHP you should have spent it on a better Ypipe (XYZ?) or got decats possibly.

Ams pulleys-180

When I saw these on here I did a bit of research and was told by someone I respect that this would be a complete waste of time and money.... :snack:

Conclusion

Just my thoughts, not having a pop just adding a bit of perspective, you clearly are not impressed with spending £2k on a NA engine and not getting any 'results' but 5 minutes searching on here would have told you that and saved you £2k if bragging rights were all you wanted... :shrug: