350z vs s2000

k9l3

Owned both and had a Supra TT as well. To be honest I found the Supra is as dull as dishwater, yes it was quick but it didn't feel involved in anyway shape for form to me.

The S2000 is absolutely fabulous, I loved mine and sold it only because I was relocating south and needed extra cash for a bit, I would have another tomorrow. Pro's over the Z - cheaper to run, better mpg, cheaper servicing, lovely 9.5k red line, amazing gearbox. Cons - Noisier, not much torque if you're not in the mood to boot it and can catch you out in the wet if you're not concentrating.

The 350z, is also fabulous and more refined than the S2000, in my opinion it handles nowhere near as well due to the weight, but its more civilised, the engine and gearbox beautiful. Pro's - smooth power, lots of torque, quieter, more sophisticated, more lazy. Cons - none for me but mpg is less (well its a 3.5 V6)

If I could afford both, I would have both. If you're going to track a lot it then for me, the S2000 is the car, if only doing the occasional one and you need a bit more boot room at the back then 350 just edges it.

With either motor, you'll have a great car!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 350z and S2000, the S2000 is lights and more agile but the zed is more of a bruiser, easier to get the performance from as you don't need to rev the ass off it to go anywhere but in stock form the S2000 is a great fun car!

The S2k is a bit small f your bigger then 6 foot tall like me,

Drive them all and see what you like best?

I have a 350z and S2000, the S2000 is lights and more agile but the zed is more of a bruiser, easier to get the performance from as you don't need to rev the ass off it to go anywhere but in stock form the S2000 is a great fun car!

The S2k is a bit small f your bigger then 6 foot tall like me,

Drive them all and see what you like best?

I've driven all three :) . I would add that I only did 10 or 15 miles in the Honda so I can't really give a full assessment but it felt really good, nice and smooth. The Z4 I drove was my wife's which she had from new and this was the 2.0L version. Obviously you can't compare the power to that of a 350Z but there are a few things to bear in mind. This isn't a car for anyone much over 6 feet tall, there's a lot of seating adjustments you can make but sadly even with the seats right back it still feels a little cramped. The other thing I didn't like about the Z4 was the enormous length of the bonnet which made it quite difficult to manoeuvre in tight spaces. Run flats are standard on these so they have a tendency to tramline and the alloys BMW fit corrode like nothing else I've ever seen.

Pete

I've driven all three :) . I would add that I only did 10 or 15 miles in the Honda so I can't really give a full assessment but it felt really good, nice and smooth. The Z4 I drove was my wife's which she had from new and this was the 2.0L version. Obviously you can't compare the power to that of a 350Z but there are a few things to bear in mind. This isn't a car for anyone much over 6 feet tall, there's a lot of seating adjustments you can make but sadly even with the seats right back it still feels a little cramped. The other thing I didn't like about the Z4 was the enormous length of the bonnet which made it quite difficult to manoeuvre in tight spaces. Run flats are standard on these so they have a tendency to tramline and the alloys BMW fit corrode like nothing else I've ever seen.

Pete

I've got the 3 litre Z4 and am a shareholder in the missus 350Z.

350 does a big poo on the Z4 in terms of comfort and general 'feel' but the Z4 feels better quality in terms of trim etc.

Z4 goes like stink and feels faster than the zed because your seated lower........the handelling even with runflats is amazing (feels surer than the Zed) - I think what chris means is the ride on runflats is horrific...........and I do mean HORRIFIC. Its bonejarring to the point that certain potholes make you think you've had an accident.

Choice of the 3 - 350z every time but thats because I'm a sucker for a v6.

S2000 wasn't car of the year four thousand years running for no reason though - ugly begger but quality engineering.

I've got the 3 litre Z4 and am a shareholder in the missus 350Z.

350 does a big poo on the Z4 in terms of comfort and general 'feel' but the Z4 feels better quality in terms of trim etc.

Z4 goes like stink and feels faster than the zed because your seated lower........the handelling even with runflats is amazing (feels surer than the Zed) - I think what chris means is the ride on runflats is horrific...........and I do mean HORRIFIC. Its bonejarring to the point that certain potholes make you think you've had an accident.

Choice of the 3 - 350z every time but thats because I'm a sucker for a v6.

S2000 wasn't car of the year four thousand years running for no reason though - ugly begger but quality engineering.

Pro's over the Z - cheaper to run, better mpg, cheaper servicing, lovely 9.5k red line, amazing gearbox. Cons - Noisier, not much torque if you're not in the mood to boot it and can catch you out in the wet if you're not concentrating.

Agree with all of that bar the fuel, you must have driven with the foot of a fieldmouse to find the S2K was better than the Zed (also had both, couldnt believe how bad the 2K was) :)

For me the S2K is a great car for maximum attack driving but I didnt like it as a commuter/daily driver - was too cramped, needed to be dropped sometimes 4 (!) gears to go anywhere, was noisy and they are a fair chunk slower too. As Ive always said, if I had a racetrack on the way to work Id use an S2K, unfortunately I have the M11 instead so itsa 350 for me :)

Pro's over the Z - cheaper to run, better mpg, cheaper servicing, lovely 9.5k red line, amazing gearbox. Cons - Noisier, not much torque if you're not in the mood to boot it and can catch you out in the wet if you're not concentrating.

Agree with all of that bar the fuel, you must have driven with the foot of a fieldmouse to find the S2K was better than the Zed (also had both, couldnt believe how bad the 2K was) :)

For me the S2K is a great car for maximum attack driving but I didnt like it as a commuter/daily driver - was too cramped, needed to be dropped sometimes 4 (!) gears to go anywhere, was noisy and they are a fair chunk slower too. As Ive always said, if I had a racetrack on the way to work Id use an S2K, unfortunately I have the M11 instead so itsa 350 for me :)

I went through this thought process when buying my zed.

Always liked the engine of the s2000 but when i took it out for a test drive and asked the salesman to try and shut the roof he nearly decapitated me. Not a car for tall people. Friend had one and never felt comfortale in it. Also felt i had to thrash it to get the most from it and didnt fancy doing that all the time.

Z4 i really liked if it had one of the more powerful engines. Loved the look in the right colour, but again i couldnt fit in it as my knees were pinned into the dash. Also from the ones i looked at i didnt like the inside.

For me the zed won because of 2 things.

1) i could actually fit in it

2) the noise. The salesman was absolutely right. He said "when i turn this key you will fall in love with the noise" ive not stopped smiling since. I dont think the other cars offer that but of course im totally and utterly biased.

Always liked the engine of the s2000 but when i took it out for a test drive and asked the salesman to try and shut the roof he nearly decapitated me. Not a car for tall people. Friend had one and never felt comfortale in it. Also felt i had to thrash it to get the most from it and didnt fancy doing that all the time.

Z4 i really liked if it had one of the more powerful engines. Loved the look in the right colour, but again i couldnt fit in it as my knees were pinned into the dash. Also from the ones i looked at i didnt like the inside.

2) the noise. The salesman was absolutely right. He said "when i turn this key you will fall in love with the noise" ive not stopped smiling since. I dont think the other cars offer that but of course im totally and utterly biased.

well that was a lot of help from all of you I must say thanks:) in someway sounds a lot like the s2000 is a really good car. I like the 350z for its looks and its presence but seems like such good things about the s2000 and the better mpg. I wish in a way that the 350z was turbo and it would of done it for me over the s. I must say the s has to get a kit to make it look less girly and more of a car. my opinion obviously. the supra is not as good to drive then the 350z no way but felt special driving it.

for me the supra was like an addiction :) only car I never got bored of. but not a cheap car to run. and they getting older now. I will try do test drive of the s next week and see how good it is. the rx8 I would love but heard only bad things about them that's why they so cheap. I could buy 2008 for same as some 2003 z's

thanks everyone

well that was a lot of help from all of you I must say thanks:) in someway sounds a lot like the s2000 is a really good car. I like the 350z for its looks and its presence but seems like such good things about the s2000 and the better mpg. I wish in a way that the 350z was turbo and it would of done it for me over the s. I must say the s has to get a kit to make it look less girly and more of a car. my opinion obviously. the supra is not as good to drive then the 350z no way but felt special driving it.

for me the supra was like an addiction :) only car I never got bored of. but not a cheap car to run. and they getting older now. I will try do test drive of the s next week and see how good it is. the rx8 I would love but heard only bad things about them that's why they so cheap. I could buy 2008 for same as some 2003 z's

thanks everyone

just seen some of the last threads didn't notice the next page. regarding daily commute and size I am 6 foot so if it feels to small which was putting me of also with the s then that won't be good. I thought the z4 would be bigger ?

just seen some of the last threads didn't notice the next page. regarding daily commute and size I am 6 foot so if it feels to small which was putting me of also with the s then that won't be good. I thought the z4 would be bigger ?

You forgot to say that you wouldn't have met such a frightfully nice bunch of chaps and chapesses :lol::surrender:

You forgot to say that you wouldn't have met such a frightfully nice bunch of chaps and chapesses :lol::surrender:

s2000 are for women or men over 50

words uttered by people who think you're only gay if you take it ;)

as for the cockpit yes i would say sitting in the S2000 is not disimiliar to a single cockpit race car, everything is at your finger tips and you do kind of feel squeezed between the transmission tunnel and the door. but the feel and feed back is great. and i liked the snug feeling, i'd also say the quality of materials used in the interior of the S2k is better than the Zed. (nicer plastics) i got better fuel economy out of the S2K when commuting. and its far easier to get a nice sound out of the 4 pot S2k than it is out of the V6.

one of my biggest disappointments was the engine noise of the V6 or maybe my expectations of it. i always found that with 4 pots you could get a good noise with a choice exhaust. and i thought with the V6 it had 2 more cylinders that it would be even better, i suppose i was hoping for something a bit like a V8, but it wasn't. its not the cars fault, it was my expectations that were wrong, but i never liked the noise of the zed. and alot of the tuning options just made it raspy and chavvy. but you live and learn and i now own a V8 and i'm happy as larry.

i loved the S2k for commuting, but then again i have a big soft spot for soft tops, there is something about dropping the roof that adds to the driving experience. and again this is possibly why i preferred the S2k over the Zed. maybe if i'd bought the convertible zed it might have been different. with the roof down you don't have to rag the nuts off it to feel like your having fun. it just was fun to be in.

but my wife hated the S2k and loved the zed. she liked the big heavy feel of the zed as she said she felt safe in it. she liked the more open cabin. and she hated the fact it revved so high. with being even lower than the zed, the wind blowing past and the theater of the noise in the S2k it makes it feel even faster.

for me the S2k is a proper sports car, the zed is a GT cruiser and the BMW sits somewhere in between.

but its personal taste as said before, most people on here will disagree with me, will probably say the S2k and BM is a girls car and the Zed is a mans car cos it has a V6 which is all bullocks. as said before go try them all out, go to some meets on all 3 forums, go experience other versions.

have you considered an R33 skyline? several people have moved form the zed on to them and are very happy, with 4wd and a very tunable engine. you have a great time ahead as you can be like a kid in a sweet shop, trying lots of flavors and working out what you like best. because at the end of the day you have to drive it. so you need to be happy with your decision.

s2000 are for women or men over 50

words uttered by people who think you're only gay if you take it ;)

as for the cockpit yes i would say sitting in the S2000 is not disimiliar to a single cockpit race car, everything is at your finger tips and you do kind of feel squeezed between the transmission tunnel and the door. but the feel and feed back is great. and i liked the snug feeling, i'd also say the quality of materials used in the interior of the S2k is better than the Zed. (nicer plastics) i got better fuel economy out of the S2K when commuting. and its far easier to get a nice sound out of the 4 pot S2k than it is out of the V6.

one of my biggest disappointments was the engine noise of the V6 or maybe my expectations of it. i always found that with 4 pots you could get a good noise with a choice exhaust. and i thought with the V6 it had 2 more cylinders that it would be even better, i suppose i was hoping for something a bit like a V8, but it wasn't. its not the cars fault, it was my expectations that were wrong, but i never liked the noise of the zed. and alot of the tuning options just made it raspy and chavvy. but you live and learn and i now own a V8 and i'm happy as larry.

i loved the S2k for commuting, but then again i have a big soft spot for soft tops, there is something about dropping the roof that adds to the driving experience. and again this is possibly why i preferred the S2k over the Zed. maybe if i'd bought the convertible zed it might have been different. with the roof down you don't have to rag the nuts off it to feel like your having fun. it just was fun to be in.

but my wife hated the S2k and loved the zed. she liked the big heavy feel of the zed as she said she felt safe in it. she liked the more open cabin. and she hated the fact it revved so high. with being even lower than the zed, the wind blowing past and the theater of the noise in the S2k it makes it feel even faster.

for me the S2k is a proper sports car, the zed is a GT cruiser and the BMW sits somewhere in between.

but its personal taste as said before, most people on here will disagree with me, will probably say the S2k and BM is a girls car and the Zed is a mans car cos it has a V6 which is all bullocks. as said before go try them all out, go to some meets on all 3 forums, go experience other versions.

have you considered an R33 skyline? several people have moved form the zed on to them and are very happy, with 4wd and a very tunable engine. you have a great time ahead as you can be like a kid in a sweet shop, trying lots of flavors and working out what you like best. because at the end of the day you have to drive it. so you need to be happy with your decision.

Biscuit- u didn't like the noise of the zed?? Thats one of the things I miss the most! :lol:

Started it up yesterday and wow.... Loved that v6 purr...

As for an r33- that's what I now drive after driving a zed daily for 3 yrs. If ur used to a turbo u will like the performance. And that's just with a gtst. Once it gets going it gets going alrite. But doesn't have the agility of a zed, cabin much older and not as comfortable. (not driven an s2000 or z4)

Where the zed beats most cars- it ticks so many boxes. A great all rounder

Biscuit- u didn't like the noise of the zed?? Thats one of the things I miss the most! :lol:

Started it up yesterday and wow.... Loved that v6 purr...

As for an r33- that's what I now drive after driving a zed daily for 3 yrs. If ur used to a turbo u will like the performance. And that's just with a gtst. Once it gets going it gets going alrite. But doesn't have the agility of a zed, cabin much older and not as comfortable. (not driven an s2000 or z4)

Where the zed beats most cars- it ticks so many boxes. A great all rounder

it was alright but my S2k made a better noise with the HKS exhaust, and so did my MR2 with the H&S exhaust and TRD manifold.

like i said it was my expectations of what i thought it could sound like modded and it never even came close. like i said earlier i've got what i want now and thats my V8 and that has the sound i want, a proper sound :drool:

it was alright but my S2k made a better noise with the HKS exhaust, and so did my MR2 with the H&S exhaust and TRD manifold.

like i said it was my expectations of what i thought it could sound like modded and it never even came close. like i said earlier i've got what i want now and thats my V8 and that has the sound i want, a proper sound :drool: