350z vs s2000

k9l3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich, for what it's worth I agree with a lot of what you've said.

I have never owned an S2K because I found it tiring to drive. It's a hugely capable car and as a track toy it'd be amazing. As a road car it wasn't the best solution for me. I'm into torque and prefer it to high revs, this is a personal thing. I loved the interior, low slung seat, high gearbox tunnel etc. It felt great to drive but VTEC (kicked in Yoooooooooooooooooooooooo) just isn't for me.

The Zed IS a lazy GT car. Sure, it's quick but it doesn't need to be nailed everywhere like an S2K. Completely different cars with completely different characters. They are comparable by price and layout but not by power delivery or character.

Best thing to do is to drive both and then decide.

i must admit i have tried to be impartial as possible with my argument on here. yes i know between the 2 cars which is my favorite but I've tried to make sure I've been balanced with my view. pointed out the benefits and disadvantages of both and even my current motor.

Having had plenty of experience with both cars, Id say youve been spot on as well. :thumbs: Apart from the last nit in small writing ;)

Interestingly this same discussion is going on at Driftworks, SXOC and the 306 GTI-6 Forum (or it was recently) as well. Usually RX8 appears in the first post and has vanished by the second page :D, but weirdly the Boxster never seems to be involved. :teeth:

I reckon he should drive them both and see which he prefers...

:lol:

Sorry but that is a ludicrous suggestion, I think he should drive both and see which one he doesn't like....

But what if he likes both :headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Then he should 100% not refer to this thread :scare:

As Biscuit said, I too am not trolling, I had a S2k(ip) and loved it, I now have a Z and love it as well. Now having owned both I'd be hard pressed to choose which one I want, I'm not Charlie Sheen so can't have both models at the same time :(

Some misconceptions in this thread though are:

(1) Torque, you can be in 6th on the motorway and accelerate faster than a HGV overtaking a HGV, the zed does this quicker though.

(2) The S2000 is more forgiving - absolutely no chance

(3) Overtaking opportunity can be gone with the lack of torque - after a while and getting to know the car its easy, see the op, down a couple of cogs and bang, my betting is you'll red line it, change and red line it again, overtaking in the S2K is that exhilarating. Also if your overtaking opportunity lapses in the 0.3 seconds it takes to clutch in, change down, blip and clutch up and WOT, then you're probably a menace on the roads :)

For me i'd do as all have said and drive both. I've test drove a s2k and owned my zed for coming up 2 years. What i'd also look at is what type of roads you drive, my daily commute used to be twisty b roads all teh way pretty much, i had a MR2 and loved it and i have no doubt in the world that if i had a s2k i'd love it even more. Only reason i haven't had a s2k so far is insurance costs, they're silly compared to the zed for me.

No i did this same commute in the zed for a year, i also enjoyed it, but it wasn't as "fun" as the roof wasn't off and you couldn't thrash the crap out of the zed as it had a bit to much torque for the road (probs gunna get slated there).

However i then had a 40mile motorway cruise for my daily drive, zed was lovely, you can just put your foot down and wave goodbye to the normal drivers, if you need to get past it's no problem, easy. while in a s2k i could have been changing gear all the time (is that actually a bad thing though?)

It all depends what you like. If i'm honest i'd love a sk2 i love V-tec the sound is :cloud9: to me. I'd love the convertableness and the nimbleness. Would i want one over my zed, tbh i'm not sure, it's a very tough one. I'd miss the looks of the zed, the room, the boot, the easyness of driving, the reputation of it (daft i know), the power and i like the way it handles, it's a good handling car just not light and nimble.

If i had the choice and it was a year ago, i might have traded the zed in for a s2k as the amount i've spend repairing the zed i could have bought 3 years worth of insurance on the s2k, but then i imagine hondas will go wrong to. But then after all you've been through with the car i don't think i could trade my zed in for most things now.

So i'm on the fence, get what YOU want and like the most ;)

Spanner - don't forget the Z4.

Me and Carla just had a spirited sprint home form work in the Z4 and 350Z.............I'm telling you that Z4 is frigging rapid!!!!!!!

Also sitting on 32MPG at the moment (3l straight 6).

I'm afraid for it to be ratified, you have to have the same drive home but swapping cars. Just to make sure the Z4 wins and not that you're just quicker that the better half ;)

Spanner - don't forget the Z4.

Me and Carla just had a spirited sprint home form work in the Z4 and 350Z.............I'm telling you that Z4 is frigging rapid!!!!!!!

Also sitting on 32MPG at the moment (3l straight 6).

I'm afraid for it to be ratified, you have to have the same drive home but swapping cars. Just to make sure the Z4 wins and not that you're just quicker that the better half ;)

Totally mate - Carla doens't like it when lights start flashing at her or when the car goes near the redline but we did have a total pair of bellends moment at the traffic lights......there were a lot of retired people making their way home from Sainsburys with disgusted looks on their faces.........even Carla managed to light her tyres up!

I doubt the Z4 would beat the 350 but it 'feels' really really quick because of how low and light it is and like the Zed it just keeps on pulling. Really nice noise out of it too.......although I did have the window down just to listen to the Zed.......it makes me sex wee every time. :cloud9: