Ford Focus RS = 1.32.2

* I know its the old one be depends allot on driver and track :D

P.S

Like the pics Wasso but would like to see how they handles in the wet :p

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to some car magazine reviews it costs the best part of £28k and only 500 will ever be made. Of those 500 only 50 are going to be sold in the UK so they'll be very rare.

If you look at the Nordschliefe lap times the 2003 350z did it in 8:26 and I would guess the 370z is a couple of seconds faster so quite a bit faster over a distance than the Renault.

According to some car magazine reviews it costs the best part of £28k and only 500 will ever be made. Of those 500 only 50 are going to be sold in the UK so they'll be very rare.

If you look at the Nordschliefe lap times the 2003 350z did it in 8:26 and I would guess the 370z is a couple of seconds faster so quite a bit faster over a distance than the Renault.

+1 The clio had a special Sachs suspension that costs 3k alone! The clio trophy's are still worth 6-10k so not depriciating.

8:08 for the Megane at the Ring. That's quite a bit faster over a distance than the 350Z. ;)

It is £3800 more than the standard 250 Megane, but it also has a load of extras on top that the Cup doesn't. Utter performance bargain :thumbs:

I love hot hatches and have had some - they are very easy to live with and to drive quickly in a variety of conditions and roads with a high degree of confidence.

Presumably there is no reason why you can't like all sorts of different cars for different reasons. The time round a wet track is simply one factor of many in why you might want one. The Z has a lot of character and personality but needs a bit of practice to drive quickly (and well!)....its just a completely different sort of car.

1. I could probably get a bigger house with more bedrooms, bigger lounge and a garage for the same money if I looked around and bought in a cheaper area. I choose not to because I just happen to like mine. I get a smile on my face when I come home after being away for a while and that's all I care about.

2. I could probably get myself a nicer dining room table for similar money that is much easier to extend and doesn't have little marks in places. I choose not to because I like my kitchen table as it is for no apparent reason whatsoever.

3. I could probably get myself a faster car for the same money as the zed which will go round quicker in the wet/dry/round the Nurburgring or whatever. I also choose not to because I just prefer the zed (perhaps irrationally). Luckily for us, a lot of choices in life do not have a binary decision logic to them. It's a given that over the next decade or two mundane cheapo cars will probably outperform the zed and do so by running on AA batteries or whatever, but if that sort of thing actually bothers you, I think buying the zed wasn't the wisest choice. :)

Key point made there - Look out the window at the variety of cars, you wont just see the fastest in their class out there - people make choices sometimes rationally sometimes emotionally and depending on the product one dictates more than the other. Buying beans? Some people go for Heinz because they love Heinz some just buy whats on promotion because rationally, its just beans. I bought the Zed because I loved the look, the styling, the relative rarity of it and wanted RWD. A bit of rationality in there but mostly an emotional decision, there are faster cars out there, but they are not a Zed.

There's no mystery, Fifth Gear clearly stated that the purpose of the comparison was to test whether you really needed a RWD sports coupe to have fun, and used the Zed as the benchmark as it has always been one of their favourites. The result (in their view) was 'no', you can have a FWD hot hatch like the Renault and have more fun.

Surely thats obvious though? People would buy a RWD sports coupe because they wanted one, not because they thought it was more fun than another car.

For the money a zed costs that opens up a whole lot of other cars you could buy, and everyone has their own personal preferences as to what they like or find fun to drive.

Read the start of this thread. The world and his wife cant see how a Megane is comparable to a 370. Its only after a few real life experiences that people start to admit that perhaps the scrabbly Renault is a good car and its taken 5 pages before anyone is accepting that its actually quicker in the dry as well. This is from a club of supposed afficianados who actually own one of the cars in question ;)

My last choices of cars were a 911, M3, GTR, Focus RS and Lexus IS-F, the only thing they have in common is the money they cost (roughly). Rather like our two here, actually ;)

Ive got a 306 GTI-6 and a 350. The 6 is more fun, safer to fling about and faster than the 350 on a wet track. On a dry track I doubt there would be much in it. I can fully accept that the Megane is quicker and more fun. B)

I can fully accept that the Megane is quicker and more fun. B)

So can I, but we are back again to what people think is "fun". And that is something which varies from person to person depending on what they like!

Ive my 350z, a tuned up R1 and a 200+bhp Renault 5 GT Turbo in my garage amongst other things. Looking at the specs online for the 265 Trophy, it has 188bhp per tonne. A standard Renault 5 GT Turbo weighs 0.85 of a Tonne. Mine is stripped out and considerably lightened, so the bhp per tonne figure for it is quite reasonable to say the least! As you can imagine, its a hell of a lot of fun. Do I find it as much fun as the zed. Yes and No. For out and out total mental turbo fun and incredible handling its ace. Ive owned this car for about 12 years now so know it inside out, so feel very confident in throwing it about knowing its limitations (mainly lack of front end grip in the wet). But the zed is a different kettle of fish for me and a completely different type of fun. Both cars are fun at the end of the day!

Novembers issue of CAR magazine has a group test including the Megane Trophy and 370z, around Anglesey circuit which is a combination of straights and twisty's they both clocked a creditable 1.05s, so had the weather been better for 5th gear the argument would have been mute.

The Renault was a serious contender when I was looking to replace my 350z. Even got as far as getting part exchange numbers from a Renault dealer. On paper it looked great, easily faster than a 350Z, 3 seats in the back, well equipped, good looking and I could have picked up a pre reg model for £23k. But when I went to actually see one, the thing felt so badly built I didn't even bother taking it for a test drive :thumbdown:

My 2nd ever car was a Peug 106, bits use to fall off every 4-6 monthly for no reason and the Megane certainly didn't feel any better built. Still I had no doubts its a faster car than a 370Z, especially if it was driven by some one unskilled like me, but I wouldn't spend my hard earns cash on one.

What a bunch of bloody fanboys. It makes me sad.

This is a NISSAN forum, and people are trotting out @*!# like "it's a renault, no way". Cmon people...

Secondly, when your car doesn't match up to the competition, what's your only resort? Slag the brand, and tell everyone it will blow up and is ugly anyway.

This is EXACTLY the sort of turd that gets levelled at us from Porsche owners, and we dismiss them as being ignorant snobs. Funny how the base nature comes out when threatened!

Fact is, the megane whipped the 370 with more seats, more practicality, and FWD. Guys, drink a nice big cup of cement and harden the **** up. Don't start trying to needlessly bash the car because it's not what you have and doesn't justify your existence as a human being.

To be honest though. I don't find this result suprising at all. Hot hatches always have been, and always will be, the poor mans sports car. They've had the performance of a GT, but cost much less. What you pay for in a car like a 370/z4/tt is the looks. The desirability factor. "Who cares if you have a golf R. It's like a boring shopping trolley golf but with side skirts" You pay a premium for the looks...

If anything, this comparison works in the 370's favour, as back in the day of the 350, hot hatches cost 17k had potential for 280bhp and could match the 350 all the way. Now the price is almost the same! If you don't need the seats, why would you buy a hatchback over the Z???

Sorry for the rant everyone. I love the Z like all of us here :blush: , but I hate blinkered fanboism.

:boat:

What a bunch of bloody fanboys. It makes me sad.

This is a NISSAN forum, and people are trotting out @*!# like "it's a renault, no way". Cmon people...

Secondly, when your car doesn't match up to the competition, what's your only resort? Slag the brand, and tell everyone it will blow up and is ugly anyway.

This is EXACTLY the sort of turd that gets levelled at us from Porsche owners, and we dismiss them as being ignorant snobs. Funny how the base nature comes out when threatened!

Fact is, the megane whipped the 370 with more seats, more practicality, and FWD. Guys, drink a nice big cup of cement and harden the **** up. Don't start trying to needlessly bash the car because it's not what you have and doesn't justify your existence as a human being.

To be honest though. I don't find this result suprising at all. Hot hatches always have been, and always will be, the poor mans sports car. They've had the performance of a GT, but cost much less. What you pay for in a car like a 370/z4/tt is the looks. The desirability factor. "Who cares if you have a golf R. It's like a boring shopping trolley golf but with side skirts" You pay a premium for the looks...

If anything, this comparison works in the 370's favour, as back in the day of the 350, hot hatches cost 17k had potential for 280bhp and could match the 350 all the way. Now the price is almost the same! If you don't need the seats, why would you buy a hatchback over the Z???

Sorry for the rant everyone. I love the Z like all of us here :blush: , but I hate blinkered fanboism.

:boat:

+1, some people cant see past their orange dials :thumbs:

This is EXACTLY the sort of turd that gets levelled at us from Porsche owners, and we dismiss them as being ignorant snobs.

Oi, I resemble that comment!!! ;):lol:

Bizarrely enough there's not much brand favouritism on the Porker boards I inhabit, and they actively praise other cars whether it's a Ferrari for the noise, an Aston for the styling, or even a Mondeo estate for the ability to carry everything around in. It does seem that the cheaper the car, the more fanboys it seems to attract. Maybe once you get over a certain level of spending you don't feel like you have to justify your purchase any more? I dunno.

Stop me if I am wrong, but just went over pages 1 - 3 and really didnt see this fanboy posting that people seem to be ranting about? I think there was some initial comments about the point of the comparison, which is fair, then some comments on the conditions, some people speculated the 370z would be quicker in the dry, some posts went up showing the renault quicker in the dry as well as well as one showing the 370 being quicker on another track in the dry, something about admitting the renault is quicker but would take a 370z any day (which I would too) - but i am not seeing this massive fanboy thing going on - actually some very informed comments and some points being raised which were rightly raised and answered?

As far as I can see, the cars are only similar in value and thats it apart from that they are worlds apart in meeting a particular need for a particular person, would I have the renault over the 370 if it were a pure toss up between the two, not in a million years, i think a lot of people seem to agree as well, not being fanboys but because being on a forum where people own two seat sports cars, its likely to be a choice these people make.

Number86, spot on. :thumbs:

It seems to be an issue that most forums suffer to varying extents, mainly as the majority of users dont have a range of experience - we used to have a similar thing on the 200SX board.

Then as people started buying other cars after the 200, they started realising they arent the be all and end all, and that even scrabbly hatchbacks can be better. :)