Fifth Gear, 370z V Renault's new hot hatch

Ken

Watched this last night but could not see the piont of a head to head with this pairing.

The weight difference alone must be vast, (ok the 370z has the extra horse power) but, rear wheel drive / front wheel drive, coupe / small hatch back, on a wet track.

Looked like an odd comparison to me, maybe I,m missing the point.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched this last night but could not see the piont of a head to head with this pairing.

The weight difference alone must be vast, (ok the 370z has the extra horse power) but, rear wheel drive / front wheel drive, coupe / small hatch back, on a wet track.

Looked like an odd comparison to me, maybe I,m missing the point.

Yea, not that surprising really, powerful RWD is never really going to be carefree fun on a wet track because it's going to try and kill you all the time. As for the lap time, I'd think the Zed suffered because its advantage was its power, which it couldn't get down in the wet.

Sort of begs the question why bother to test for fun and speed in the wet at all, as that's a pretty stupid time for spirited driving.

DB

Its a bizarre comparison, especially sticking a rear wheel drive car on a track in the wet, but I suppose a bit more interesting than just doing the standard comparison to say a Scirocco R and the like which gets done everytime a Renault hot hatch comes out.

Hmm as pointless comparisons go that's up there with the best of them. Since I don't spend my days flinging my car around a wet track I think I'll stick the Z. The Renault looks plain naff to me. I know which one I'd rather been seen out on the roads in :thumbdown:

What they are trying to compare is the following.....

The Renault

Jodie-Marsh-41.jpg

Against the 370z

Cameron+Diaz+Picture+Gallery+by+baldockbaldrick.blogspot.com-19.jpg

Yes the Renault may be fun and give you a bad name, but I'd rather take home the 370z and enjoy the ride and show her off as much as possible ;)

Getting back to the metal.................

Quite sure if the track were dry the 370 would better the Megane by a similar amount that it lost out on that damp track.

Goes without saying really that RWD will always struggle in the damp/wet, as we all know and sideways stuff on track will never be quicker. That said, I am sure the Megane would be great fun but not me as I would much rather have the build quality of the Nissan any day over the Renault. My experience of French built cars meant the dealer saw them than more than me and I would never buy one again :thumbdown:

Getting back to the metal.................

Quite sure if the track were dry the 370 would better the Megane by a similar amount that it lost out on that damp track.

Goes without saying really that RWD will always struggle in the damp/wet, as we all know and sideways stuff on track will never be quicker. That said, I am sure the Megane would be great fun but not me as I would much rather have the build quality of the Nissan any day over the Renault. My experience of French built cars meant the dealer saw them than more than me and I would never buy one again :thumbdown:

A case of highlighting just what they wanted to highlight I guess....

I think a 370z is worth the 2k difference in price on the Renault any day of the week regardless of how slower it is round a wet track :boxing:

Wasso using your comparison as a guide I would happy ride around in the 370z for 90% of the time but occasionally I would still like to slip inside the Renault and give it a good seeing to :teeth:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll probably watch it at some point, but are they just both being tested because of refreshes or something? they're hardly aimed at the same market are they? :wacko:

Wasso using your comparison as a guide I would happy ride around in the 370z for 90% of the time but occasionally I would still like to slip inside the Renault and give it a good seeing to :teeth:

Absolutely no. no. no. :yuck:

A case of highlighting just what they wanted to highlight I guess....

I think a 370z is worth the 2k difference in price on the Renault any day of the week regardless of how slower it is round a wet track :boxing:

I didn't realise the prices were so close to each other. Unless you need the extra seats then the 370z would be a no brainer for me (although admittedly I guess I am somewhat biased!). Just seems to me a far more grown up and exclusive car.

Looking at this logically, I can see what they were trying to compare. Historically, the performance of the Zed could not be matched by an off the shelf hot hatch. They wanted to see if this "new" one could give better performance. And around the wet track it did, so it won.

Lest not forget the 370z is a GT car and a damn quick one at that. I would and have happily drive it across the continent, no way you'd do that in your souped up Renault. So yes the Renault is quicker in the wet but the Zed has a lot more to offer.

One interesting point they made which I agreed on is the Zed has a tendancy to understeer quite a bit before getting into oversteer mode. I'm sure this is for safety reasons and a good alignment could sort it out, but I think it does let the car down a bit.

Also, as they didnt give it to the Zed, it means other numpties watching Fifth Gear wont be running out to buy one so we can keep it a bit rarer :#1:

One interesting point they made which I agreed on is the Zed has a tendancy to understeer quite a bit before getting into oversteer mode. I'm sure this is for safety reasons and a good alignment could sort it out, but I think it does let the car down a bit.

Get an extra degree of toe-in on the front and rear Chris - it has dialled out that tendency for me ;)

Looking at this logically, I can see what they were trying to compare. Historically, the performance of the Zed could not be matched by an off the shelf hot hatch. They wanted to see if this "new" one could give better performance. And around the wet track it did, so it won.

Lest not forget the 370z is a GT car and a damn quick one at that. I would and have happily drive it across the continent, no way you'd do that in your souped up Renault. So yes the Renault is quicker in the wet but the Zed has a lot more to offer.

Also, as they didnt give it to the Zed, it means other numpties watching Fifth Gear wont be running out to buy one so we can keep it a bit rarer :#1:

+1. The s2000 and z3m's did this as people branded the first cars snappy and widow makers but now they are less neutral. I think for day to day its better though.