anybody on here work in mental health area?

stanski

Sorry for posting a serious subject but does anyone on here work in social care / mental care area?

I ask since my mum has been taken ill this week, she is behaving oddly? The doctor thinks she has

signs of schizophrenia? Hearing voices and imagining things that are not there?

She is staying at my house so we can keep an eye on her. The strange thing is she still seems normal to me? Still tells me off when i say something wrong? Played with my daughter as normal and then i hear she is talking to someone? When i ask who it is , she tells me she doesnt know his name but he is a policeman. Is he dressed in uniform? 'no he is just dressed in normal clothes' and so on.

She is not forgetful but i know she has not been sleeping very well recently. I really hope once she gets back to some routine things will settle down?

Can anyone recommend some useful reading on the subject, you know the internet the information you read is more distressing than required.

Thank you.

its a word that makes a lot of people worry, but if it is as the doctor suspects it is very manageable with medication.

others will no more as i'm no expert.

this is not an easy time so i hope that this is all just a minor medical issue and is solved with minimal disturbance to your family.

its a word that makes a lot of people worry, but if it is as the doctor suspects it is very manageable with medication.

others will no more as i'm no expert.

this is not an easy time so i hope that this is all just a minor medical issue and is solved with minimal disturbance to your family.

+1

Thank you for the support.

They have prescribed amisulpride which is supposed to supress certain chemicals in the brain.

I hope she comes through this because not sure how i will cope if the worse comes to the worse, but as the doctor said its good to get this early.

Stan,

I'm sure you've already looked at these kind of things already but here are a couple of links / contacts that might be helpful

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/staff/ChristineBarrowclough

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/staff/gillianhaddock

Highly qualified and experienced practitioners in their field. They might not be able to help directly but may be able to point you in the direction of services / experts / groups locally to you who may be able to offer help, advice etc.

I really hope you can get some advice and help for your mum, I wish her and you the very best.

As we know, looking after an elderly mum whose health isn't what it was is hard work, but huge credit to you for having her at home with you and June & I are sure that with yours and Lucy's support, and with the right medical help, things will get better.

Our best wishes to you :thumbs:

Thank you all for your kind words and support , it means a great deal to me. Its early days and i am having to be a bit bossy to ensure mum gets back to a normal routine , eating well, sleeping and ensuring her medication is taken on time. Unfortunately Ania is also ill this week and has been waking up through the night, Lucy has whiplash from someone bumping her car the other night , so its not easy i can tell you!!!

God is really throwing the tests at me eh! :surrender:

Thanks for the other links and info it all helps a great deal.

:)

A very close friend of mine suffers with mental illness.

As others have said, these days its treatable with drugs. Normally the first point of call is the Doctor to arrange for the person to have a psychiatric evaluation before they decide what medication would help.

My friend was on various different medications over the years, and typically they take a good few weeks before the they start to "work". But, as a result she was able to live a normal life.

Mental illness is more common than people realise these days. Years ago it was probably regarded as something bad, but these days you will be surprised at just how many people experience it at some stage or another in their lives. Its also something which can be very up or down. My friend was back to "normal" for about 8 years before she had a big relapse out of the blue and was actually sectioned. That was probably 9 years ago now and shes been fine ever since. She still takes the medication, and still has regular checkups with her nurse or doctor. But, she is able to enjoy herself and lead a normal life. She is also lucky she has a lot of very good friends.

A very close friend of mine suffers with mental illness.

As others have said, these days its treatable with drugs. Normally the first point of call is the Doctor to arrange for the person to have a psychiatric evaluation before they decide what medication would help.

My friend was on various different medications over the years, and typically they take a good few weeks before the they start to "work". But, as a result she was able to live a normal life.

Mental illness is more common than people realise these days. Years ago it was probably regarded as something bad, but these days you will be surprised at just how many people experience it at some stage or another in their lives. Its also something which can be very up or down. My friend was back to "normal" for about 8 years before she had a big relapse out of the blue and was actually sectioned. That was probably 9 years ago now and shes been fine ever since. She still takes the medication, and still has regular checkups with her nurse or doctor. But, she is able to enjoy herself and lead a normal life. She is also lucky she has a lot of very good friends.

Thank you for that it helps a lot . I am hoping that the medicine will help.

She had an initial evaluation the other day hence this prescription. I dont see a big change yet but its early days and yes it supposed to take a few weeks before things settle but today she seems more herself and is in fact watching telly quietly, something she has not been interested in doing earlier.

So fingers crossed. :thumbs:

Lucy's whiplash could not have come at a worse time and just adds to our stress but we will get through it somehow, I just need to remain strong for all of them.

Thanks Bronzee :) I know what does'nt kill me makes me stronger but I have been through some s**t over the years I can tell you! :surrender:

Thank you for that it helps a lot . I am hoping that the medicine will help.

She had an initial evaluation the other day hence this prescription. I dont see a big change yet but its early days and yes it supposed to take a few weeks before things settle but today she seems more herself and is in fact watching telly quietly, something she has not been interested in doing earlier.

So fingers crossed. :thumbs:

No problem. The key thing is to be strong and look out for her like you are doing. When my friend was at her worst I personally found it very tough, but it was a real eye opener for me and I learnt loads about mental illnesses and how to cope with them.