"Why do trains stop when they hit people?"

Rubber

I dont want to make light of the deaths of people, but there was recently a story that network rail are to be charged over the deaths of two teenage girls who got run over and killed by a train, even though they walked onto the tracks at a level crossing while the lights were flashing and the sirens going.

Seriously? Wtf?

The lights were flashing, the sirens going, and they waited while one train passed. The sirens and lights continued to go as another train was coming in the other direction - but they opened the gate and walked onto the lines even though these alarms were still going and got hit by the train going in the opposite direction.

And thats network rails fault!?! How utterly stupid has this country managed to become when being hit by a train while there is big bloody flashing warning lights and sirens telling you not to cross is someone elses fault?

Unbelieveable.

EDIT: found the article here - http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16117387

After the train passed, the lights remained on and the alarms continued to sound as another train, travelling to Stansted airport, was going to pass through the station.

The girls opened the wicket gates and walked on to the crossing. They were both struck by the Stansted train and killed.

Can anyone explain to me how the frig this is someone elses fault?!

The same way that people who 'can' work but cant be bothered, who have no desire to learn, or better themselves and who are happy scrounging of the system, can continue to survive. The theory of survival of the fittest goes out the window in a society where you don't need to think or try anymore because someone will do it for you.

It hurts my brain trying to understand how some people stumble through life. :headhurt:

I dont want to make light of the deaths of people, but there was recently a story that network rail are to be charged over the deaths of two teenage girls who got run over and killed by a train, even though they walked onto the tracks at a level crossing while the lights were flashing and the sirens going.

Seriously? Wtf?

The lights were flashing, the sirens going, and they waited while one train passed. The sirens and lights continued to go as another train was coming in the other direction - but they opened the gate and walked onto the lines even though these alarms were still going and got hit by the train going in the opposite direction.

And thats network rails fault!?! How utterly stupid has this country managed to become when being hit by a train while there is big bloody flashing warning lights and sirens telling you not to cross is someone elses fault?

Unbelieveable.

EDIT: found the article here - http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16117387

After the train passed, the lights remained on and the alarms continued to sound as another train, travelling to Stansted airport, was going to pass through the station.

The girls opened the wicket gates and walked on to the crossing. They were both struck by the Stansted train and killed.

Can anyone explain to me how the frig this is someone elses fault?!

I read the same thing and couldnt believe it myself. When I first read it i thought maybe the lights werent working, or it was one of these crossings where there was no gate, but not at all. I really dont see how it can be network rail`s fault. Should they have had some guard standing there physically restraining people from walking onto the tracks?

Those girls were killed a few miles from where I work so you can imagine the sympathy vote that flew around here in the local rags denouncing the railway as made of Hitler's sperm and such-forth, and yet no-one ever questioned why two apparently intelligent teenage girls couldn't work out that crossing a train track when there's a f*cking great train bearing down on you isn't a great idea.

I feel bad for the parents, but in all honesty I think the girls did the gene pool a favour.

The above is very sad, but I can't see how anyone else is to blame but the poor girls involved.

I swear half of H&S is purely there to cover for those without common sence.

But unfortunately we live in a blame culture where people are never at fault even when they blatentley are!

Random example, we have to lock our ladders up at work.

If someone were to break in to our premisis at night and they weren't locked up, they used them, fall off hurting themselves, we are at fault and will get sued.

The fact they have broken in is irellevant! :thumbdown:

If someone were to break in to our premisis at night and they weren't locked up, they used them, fall off hurting themselves, we are at fault and will get sued.

This is also the reason why you must never let anyone borrow your ladder.

I never knew that.

Im getting worried now though. I serviced my mates car the other week and fitted new brake pads for him. Does that mean if he has an accident he can blame me as I touched his brakes. Maybe I should have got him to sign some sort of disclaimer. What is the world coming to.

I never knew that.

Im getting worried now though. I serviced my mates car the other week and fitted new brake pads for him. Does that mean if he has an accident he can blame me as I touched his brakes. Maybe I should have got him to sign some sort of disclaimer. What is the world coming to.

Just this, doogyrev & zugara fitted my exhaust, if it falls off and maims someone they better get a good lawyer :boxing:

same with crime,

apparently if you climb a 12 ft high razor wire fence in an attmpt to rob a business and you seriuosly hurt yourself, you are apparently perfectly within your rights to sue the owner because they didn't put up a sign telling you "warning Razor wire fence"

perosnally i think if you are commiting a crime you leave your rights at the door/window/fence of where ever you broke into. so if they beat the living pi$$ out of you, well its your own fault for being there committing the crime.

same as if there is big warning lights and flashy signs telling you not to go in, and you go in and get spanked by a train, well i'm sorry, but you've just proved the darwin awards are relevant.