GTR, Gallardo or 997

coldel

Trouble is,if you choose the Gallardo,you will probably find that you will only be allowed to go into a set gear,4th or something,and no more. Id imagine with the GTR and Turbo,you would be allowed to open them up abit more. I know 2 people that have done it,and said that you can only go up set revs,gears,speed etc. They drove a Ferrari and an Aston. Maybe worth checking. Where is the experience?

I would rule out the 997 straight away. Who wants to pay to drive something that you see 20 times a day?

With regards to the GTR and the Gallardo I would say it would be down to how much your actually going to be able to 'drive' the cars? The gallardo is likely to be louder and more involving, especially if it's a manual, although the downshift blips on e-gear are to die for.

The GTR will be faster for sure, but it's a bit sterile imo.

I tried to be as unbiased as possible :lol:

Wife bought me an experience a while back which I couldnt do for various reasons so I am exchanging the voucher for something else. Only have to pay an extra £20 to do one of the above (and they are all local so not far to go) and exchange the voucher - its with red letter days. Whats interesting between the Gallardo and GTR is that it says on the description you get seven miles in the Lambo but 4 laps in the GTR, and they are on the same circuit and cost the same...

What circuit is it on,and long is it? I would think that 7 miles would only be a couple of laps,you may find that you get better value for money from the GTR,and the chance is that you will be able to open it up abit more. Just see how long 4 laps is,and see if its more or less than 7 miles.

Or go for the one which is within purchasing range and tempt myself even more to save up for it ;) Its at a track in Cranleigh, not sure what one.

Think I will go for the GTR, very fast, easier to handle and be braver with and I think will get more track time with - I am not a very fast track driver :lol:

Go for the Lambo B)

WRT to the rev limit, the instructor I had when I did my Aston experience tried to limit me to lower revs always barking to change up. I just took no notice of him :lol: I'd go out on the first lap and see what they are like, if they let you push on then go for it, if they dont save it for the penultimate or final lap and then have some fun - they can only tell you to pit after all :drive1

Hi mate,I did the Gallardo at Elvington airfield,York, last saturday,a beautiful car but felt a bit let down afterwards, had two laps with the "instructor" in a scooby- he drove showing brake boards/lines into corners, then had six laps driving the lambo myself,stunning into corners,but was expecting thrown back in your seat stuff,whether the straights werent long enough or what i didn't get that feeling at all,would have loved to have done it in the Zed to be honest, top speed-115mph :bang:

I drove a GTR and a Gallardo on the same day recently... here's my write up from this thread:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=13&p=766386

Well today after 8 months i finally got round to going on my driving experience...

I went to Prestwold Driving Center in Loughborough which is an airfield circuit.

It was absolutely packed there with maybe 200 people either watching or waiting to drive...!

I drove the GTR first... and i felt totally at home in it! The driving position was very similar to the zed, and was very comfortable. It felt quite small inside for such a big car. It was a tiptronic auto which was just amazing... very very quick gear changes. The power delivery was smooth all the way from 1.5k revs and it just kept coming... but i was expecting it to be more brutal, but it just seemed quite refined :shrug:

Anyway the instructor was impressed with what i did - he said i was definitely the quickest of the day, and i got up to 130mph :D

Next up i drove the Lambo... now i was really looking forward to this as the Gallardo is one of my all time favourite cars... It was a tiptronic model like the GTR, but straight away from sitting in it i felt uncomfortable. The driving position was horrible but worse was that the pedals were towards the left of your driving position, it didnt have a clutch, but imagine the brake pedal being where the clutch goes, and the accelerator where the brake goes. It was awful. Then when driving it, it was equally as bad... it had no power until 3.5k revs, at which point it picked up and felt fairly quick, but the gear change was shocking!! :surrender: Pressing on the paddle's to change gears, there was a 1-second delay during which the car would lurch violently slowing you down (it felt like the brakes were being pressed!). Lastly the brakes... i must have been pressing the brake pedal in by 8 inches before the brakes started to be applied, making it very difficult to modulate them.

So in summary - it was definitely a worthwhile use of my Tesco vouchers, and i finally got to drive a GTR which was mint, but at the end of the day when getting back in my zed it didnt feel that much less of a car. B)

I took the Gallardo and GTR out at prestwold also - but personally I found the Gallardo more engaging. Admitidly the instructor in the GTR was useless ( woudlnt let me change gear for 2 laps then he found out I drove a zed and didnt stop "chatting" for the rest of the session)

I found the gallardo felt like part of you and I found easier to drive in the conditions (V Wet) I was in but IMO a lot of it is down to the experience as a whole - the gallardo delivered that - ground hugging position and the noise :teeth:

GTR technically in all aspects may be the better car - but the gallardo is just plain sexy.

I know the GTR and Gallardo power is rear biased but wouldn't the 911 be more fun, assuming it isn't wrong wheel drive?

No 911 is wrong wheel drive.

Even the 4 wheel drive ones only put 10-20% forward. :)

If you go for the GTR make sure they know you drive a zed, they seem to trust you more that the focus crowd.

When I drove one he just kept saying hit it and brake later. Even left me to play with the floppy paddles when I wanted to.

And there is something nice about overtaking lambos and fezzers on the straight cos you can brake later into the bends.