Just joined, hunting for a Z

Hi everyone

Just signed up after a few weeks of soaking up info on here while I look for a car. Seems like a great community.

I'm new to Zeds but have loved them since they came out. I've just packed up motorbike racing so now I can finally get one.

Also new to forums, if I'm honest, so please bear with me while I learn the ettiquette and what all those little yellow people mean. Looks like assembly at ADHD school.

I'm after a Roadster, 05-06, Azure (or black+Azelean), GT, low-ish miles. Have seen some nice ones around and plan to view a couple this weekend. Definitely planning some modifications and getting to a few meets too.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a question straight off, to help my search - 276 or 300? More power is always good but I've read some worrying things about the 300's thirst for oil, relative lack of midrange and shocking road tax hike.

So, all else (price, miles, condition) being equal, which would you choose if you were buying again?

Good to meet you all.

Jamie

Welcome to the club Jamie :wave:

I would recommend buying a car from the club if you can as they tend to be very well looked after and their history is generally documented well on here. I think there is a couple of roadsters for sale at the moment, have a look in the zeds for sale section. Its also the best time of year for getting a roadster as prices will lower than in spring/summer and you get to test drive it in cold and wet conditions. If you enjoy it in winter then you'll love it in summer! B)

The engine choice really is yours to make. There has been more later engines with oil consumption problems than earlier ones. However, recently there has been a few early engines using oil and/or failing also so you have to weigh it up. There is some evidence that some of the problems could be coming from prolonged use of the wrong petrol (95) instead of (99).

As well as the Tax hike on the later engines its also worth considering that it has dual intakes so 2 air filters, or if you decide to change to something after-market you'll have two induction kits to buy.

As far as the power is concerned, I'd be surprised if you could actually 'feel' the difference in the real world anyway. Drive both and see how you feel. :)

:welcome: I have a facelift model and its a superb car with no oil consumption problems and its a better overall car to look at IMHO.

The higher tax I looked at it this way - its £200 per year, not much if you get an older car and run into lots of repair bills. There is also no guarantee that the lower rate on older cars will not disappear. Doesn't make sense to me to pay £1000 or £1500 too much for an older car to save £200 per year on tax, don't need a degree in Maths to work that one out B)

The interiors far more classier in the 2006-2007 models. Buttons are in the correct places etc lol. Proper drink holders.

Any zed with reasonably low mileage should be fine. The best engine is the hr 313ps engine. It has dual intakes and is very powerful.

There's is three models

1st pre 2006, more torque standard, not so great interior, single xenon headlights (normal high beam)

2nd 2006-2007 revup 300ps model. More hp, better interior, bi-xenon headlights 20quid a month more on tax.

3rd. 2007- 2009 313ps HR. Much better engine, dual intakes, bonnet bulge and interior/exterior same as 2006 model.

There is also a gt4 edition which was around 2005. It has the revup engine but normal body interior for age(unless it is auto which has Pre-revup engine.)

Welcome to the forum, as the you can see from the welcome posts you won't have any problems getting advice and info here :lol:

Make sure you do some in depth reading here and as choptop has said, take a few out and test them. If you can go for a run in a couple of different models that would be great as well.

Having a look at the car's for sale on the forum will give you a really good yardstick of what's available for your money. Bear in mind that we are a bit obsessed with the Zed here so you may find the cars for sale on the forum are among the most cared for, looked after and honestly represented.

All the best with your search :thumbs:

Thanks for the great welcome everyone, and the really helpful info. I'm due to drive a couple this weekend, 05 and 06 models, and that should help me choose. Sounds like the 300 isn't anywhere near as problematic as I'd been led to believe. Practically foaming at the mouth in anticipation. :yahoo:

Choptop, I'm just down the road from you as it happens, near Bath.