Hi everyone- update

I am also a new member, bought my 350Z from main dealer on Thursday ( what they call a Cared4 used car), pick up next Thursday.

Its a 2006 ( revised ) 350Z GT roadster in sunset orange with alezan orange leather and sat nav.

Owners: Nissan plus 1, FSH main dealers.

Owner traded it in against a Nissan electric Leaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will come with new MOT, service and preparation, 12 months warranty parts and labour, breakdown cover.

I've asked them to fit reverse parking sensors.

I'll see how it compares with the SLK 350 it replaces!

Questions:

1. I queried what fuel to use, main dealer said normal unleaded OK ( 95 ), but I have read should use premium.

2. The back tyres are new but the front are worn. I am working on them to put new ones on. I have read mimimum safe tread ( especially in winter ) is about 3mm. Any thoughts!?

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

After many debates on the fuel the general consensus is that whilst the car will run on 05 it is designed to use 98 and this will deliver better economy.

The balance of the car is down to even tyre wear so get them to change the worn ones. :thumbs:

Questions:

1. I queried what fuel to use, main dealer said normal unleaded OK ( 95 ), but I have read should use premium.

Your choice, I ran mine for 6 years on 95 ron with no probs

2. The back tyres are new but the front are worn. I am working on them to put new ones on. I have read mimimum safe tread ( especially in winter ) is about 3mm. Any thoughts!?

not really a winter car even with new tyres so be careful ... plenty of tyre threads on here .... What tyres are on the car ? ... best not to mix tyre makes front to rear

Thanks in advance

:wave: Hi and welcome :wave:

As others have said it can run on 95, but best to use 98 or better.

If your pushing for new tyres from them ,which you should, just make sure they match them. The dealer will nearly always try to fob you off with budget tyres. Just don't let them give you crap rubber.

Yes, Westover Nissan, that was me test driving on Thursday! They seemed quite good at Westover with a promise of good after care.

They have offered a 3 year fixed price service contract including full breakdown cover etc for a total of £960 ( parts + labour ), payable monthly over the 3 years = 3 services, 1 small, 1 large, 1 small. This covers all the costs of the 3 annual services, together with MOTs at £20 each. Does this seem reasonable? Any thoughts appreciated!

I saw it on their web site, had been thinking of another SLK 280/350 or perhaps a TT, 2007 year.

I had sold my SLK in April and missed it!

The 350Z just seemed more exciting and with the orange leather ventilated seats I could not resist.

Even the wife liked it!

A bit older than I would have liked and although in good condition, not in excellent condition as I would normally go for, but after negotiations some £4,000 less than the SLK and TT roadster that I had my eyes on. In the end, it cost me the money I had got for my 54 2004 year SLK.

The only fault I found with Westover was that like alot of main dealers, they do not carry out any remedial work or fully prepare a car until its sold, e.g. refurbishing the alloys, polishing out the minor paint blemishes, valeting the interior etc.

Still at least you see the car, warts and all, but then its up to the customer to point out any defects and then make sure the dealer does the work!

It will be interesting to see how much it costs to run compared to say a 2007 SLK 350. Probably more in petrol costs but only £260 for the RFL ( 1st registered mid March 2006 ) and definately less on servicing- Jacksons of Bournemouth charges an arm and a leg ( but you do get free coffee and papers and TV and a lounge to sit in! ). Insurance is about the same ( Swift Cover ).

As regards the tyres, I have emailed the salesman (who is on their high performance team side) stating that they should ensure tyres are fit for purpose considering its a high performance car and he has assured me that they will fully inspect the tyres and replace them if required, and that they would only leave them on if enough tread for a years use of say 9k miles. I must admit I did not note what make of tyres are on the car at present. I shall wait and see what they do!

Thanks to those members on their thoughts on fuel. I am sure Westover will put 95 petrol in it when they hand the car over! I will experiment with the various grades.

:drive1

The only fault I found with Westover was that like alot of main dealers, they do not carry out any remedial work or fully prepare a car until its sold, e.g. refurbishing the alloys, polishing out the minor paint blemishes, valeting the interior etc.

Still at least you see the car, warts and all, but then its up to the customer to point out any defects and then make sure the dealer does the work!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Rusty one. :thumbs: With you on that one. Much better to see the defects than after the deal is done.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Personally I would steer clear of the servicing package - total rip off unless you're doing relatively high mileage and the wording actually reads three years' worth of servicing and not just three services. Your service intervals are 9K miles ;)

If its simply three services you should be able to do it for less than £960 buying parts and fluids from traders on here and finding yourself a decent independent for the labour :thumbs: and I doubt that when you read the small print on that package that it will include wear & tear items - remember for the lesser services you're simply paying for oil & filters and a thorough inspection of the car and cleaning of brakes and perhaps a bit of greasing.

As previously noted if they do replace the tyres make sure they are comparable tread and compound at the very least - they really should be matching.

Hi

My understanding was that the service intervals were every 12 months or 9,000 miles if sooner. So I assume that means 3 services included over the 3 year contract. Westover says I can take the service contract out at any time so I will leave it a few months and then decide once I have spoken to a good small independent garage I know and get some alternative costings. This also gives me time to assess how good or bad Westover is with its aftercare service! I think I will be only doing no more than 3k miles a year, so its a pity if I am right about servicing every 12 months! With the SLK it was not a fixed period so you could go some 18 months or more between services if you were not doing the miles, the computer told you when the service was due and it was time to spend loads of money at the main dealer!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, after about one week of ownership, I booked the car in for remedial work, the result of which is:

1. A new radio/cd is on order as the one in the car did not work properly ( problem with CD )

2. New part(s) on order for the back suspension (squeeek and rattle caused by a dropped arm!? )

3. Awaiting authorisation for repair work to the soft top ( can see a bit of light through it where the side seems meet the back cross seem ( I would think a bit of Storm Sure glue would fix this ).

So much for their Cared4 program that is suppose to ensure cars are properly prepared before handover!

I must admit that they have been very good about it so far but it does not fill me with confidence!

On a good note, they gave me a 370Z to play with for 2 days, but the weather was bad and I was worried about the £500 excess if I damaged it!

I am seriously thinking of taking it to Horsham Developments after they have said its all fixed to get them to inspect it!