WHAT P!$$ES YOU OFF on the road?

HEADPHONES

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who refer to the lanes of a motorway as "slow" and "fast"! :lol:

I'd like to see the outcome if you said that on your driving test! :lol:

Having a dig? :lol: at least I put slow in inverted commas. Think the problem is you don't get asked that on your driving test, do you? I know I chose to do pass plus when I did my test about 8 years ago as I was driving to newquay with mates the day after I passed, it didn't do bugger all to my insurance policy but it taught me well.

Hmm, pretty much all of the above, plus people during rush hour "parking" on roundabouts/yellow box grids blocking everyones exit even when it's obvious they can't get off said area, people who park right opposite a tee junction - we have one of these in the village,and, when you're coming out of the bottom has 8 ft stone walls resticting your view left (with wheelie bins) and right and some Numpty parks RIGHT OPPOSITE. And the one which really makes me pull my hair out is people who park on the exit of the blind bend of our high street - so they are closer to the chipshop door even when all legal parking spaces are empty :rant::rant::rant::rant:

The 2 lane stretch of the M11 from Bishops Stortford to the A14 every single day, without fail has its average speed reduced to 55mph all the way up from this. They put in signs telling lorry drivers they couldnt do it, do they pay any attention, do they f ..... :angry:

I also enjoy people waving at me to slow down when Im doing 40 in a 40 and flashing me when Ive gone into their lane to overtake something and pulled back in 5 seconds before they have passed me. Oh, and people who have to wander over two lanes when negotiating a roundabout despite me being right beside them :bang:

You can do 55 down it? :lol: Last time I went down there it was pretty much stopped most of the way :lol:

All of the above, plus people who decide to overtake at +1mph right next to exits on major roads, with traffic in a long line in the inside lane, either overtake sensibly or pay attention to what's going on around you.

Just to add to the list of which I mostyl agree with:

1. Gritters (when in front of me) :blush:

2. speed cameras if the catch me being naughty :lol:

3. police if they catch me being naughty :lol:

4. potholes

5. people that can see a lane is closed well in advance but shoot up the outside even though the traffic is already well backed up

6. zed drivers who drive practically the same car as me but pay half the amount in tax :lol::lol:

1. Gritters (when in front of me) :blush:Stop Tailgating

2. speed cameras if the catch me being naughty :lol:Slow down

3. police if they catch me being naughty :lol:As above

4. potholes Complain to the council

5. people that can see a lane is closed well in advance but shoot up the outside even though the traffic is already well backed up Muppets

6. zed drivers who drive practically the same car as me but pay half the amount in tax :lol::lol:

not_the_messiah.jpg

1. Gritters (when in front of me) :blush:Stop Tailgating you still have to pass them

2. speed cameras if the catch me being naughty :lol:Slow down meh

3. police if they catch me being naughty :lol:As above as above

4. potholes Complain to the council fat lot of good it does

5. people that can see a lane is closed well in advance but shoot up the outside even though the traffic is already well backed up Muppets true

grrr to these people :lol:

not_the_messiah.jpg

Not cyclists in general, but cyclists in Central London. They are by far and away the biggest danger on the roads. Sure you get the odd cabbie who drives dangerously close up your backside, or a moped who cuts in front of you from nowhere, but 9 times out of 10 the problems are caused by the cyclists. Drive home from Central London down the A10 like I did this evening between 5 and 7pm, and you can see for yourself.

It's not all of them, but it's a big majority. We're talking 80% or more. Here's a comprehensive list of the things they do and why they are dangerous:

-Jumping red lights/pelican crossings. This morning I saw it at almost every set of lights down the Kingsland High Road. The light is red, and just because there's nothing coming they think they can pedal off across the junction. One instance, there was even a police panda car on the opposite side of the road, cyclist jumped the light and he did NOTHING! I felt like hailing the officer and asking him if it was alright for me to jump the lights in my car, too. Something tells me if I did the same I'd get a stern telling off and 3 points.

-Weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. They come from all sides, and when they can't get past on the left, they wobble and weave in front of your bonnet JUST as you start to creep forward, they come out from behind double decker buses who couldn't possibly know they are there, and they always give the buses such a wide berth that the car lane (pretty much all of the A10 is a constant bus lane on the left in that part of london!) is blocked by cyclists. It gets so bad sometimes, you get them just weaving in and out as you are crawling in traffic, meaning you have to slam on the brakes and the taxi driver behind nearly goes into the back of you. THEY have no regard for road safety, which means us drivers have to be the ones taking the extra precautions and being ultra-aware to avoid killing some impatient cyclist who can't sit in line at the lights like the rest of us do. (oh wait, but red lights don't affect him do they? So no wonder he wants to get to the front.. :dry: )

-'Slowvertaking' other cyclists. It's always the really keen ones in the lycra suits with the £££££ speedbikes that do this. They don't put their hand out to indicate, or even check behind them, then they swing out and again take such a wide berth that all the traffic behind them has to crawl until they have finished overtaking the other cyclist.

-Joining your flow of traffic/cutting you up from a roundabout or junction even when they should be giving way/stopping to you. They seem to think that just because they're thin enough that you can go around them, they can just shoot our from their road and join yours without so much as a look in your direction. As a cautious car driver you have to slow down, just in case the ignorant fool is actually planning to cut right across you as has happened before... This morning the cyclist was on the opposite side of the road signalling to turn right, now what he SHOULD have done was stop in the middle, signalling right, given way to me as I was coming on the other side of the road, waited for me to pass and then turned. But no, he thought his indicator was a magic turning spell that made him invincible and he could just turn whenever. Again, more of my brake pads wasted on this idiot, to save HIS life. Then he had the audacity to give me the finger when I beeped him. Oh, AND he turned right to cycle down a pedestrian footpath.

Now, I agree, some car drivers do these things. But the key word is 'SOME' not 'most'. Some drivers don't indicate, some cut you up.. but generally people don't, and most drivers are OK and obey the rules of the road pretty well. With the cyclists, yes, a few of them do actually consider stopping at red lights, and they actually think and indicate before wobbling into your path, but it really is a minority. Down the A10 tonight there were literally 2 out of the 50+ cyclists who didn't run red lights. I know how many there were because it annoys me so much that I make a point of winding down my window and actually thanking the ones that do obey the rules of the road. The problem with cyclists as well is, if they cut a bus up.. there's a good chance that if it hits them they will die or be seriously injured. And if it's their fault, who's gonna pay for the damage to the bus windscreen or for the driver's nervous shock when he's too haunted by killing someone to go back to work? Well it won't be the cyclist, he isn't insured! It just annoys me how I have to be extra careful to protect this cyclist from serious harm even when he is being a complete tool! If I hit a car, even if it's uninsured.. there's cover for that, and we will probably both escape without any serious injury. To be honest at London speeds even colliding with a bus in a car would probably be OK.

I pay a damn lot of money to use London's roads, these cyclists (especially the INCREDIBLY dangerous Boris bikers who have no idea about the highway code) pay next to nothing, take no proper tests/training, go through no licensing or registration systems and get away with virtually anything, and everyone else on the road has to take care to stop THEM being killed.

Like I say, I'm expecting a response of 'oh but you get some idiot uninsured car drivers who do the same etc etc' which is true. But it isn't such a massive majority. With cyclists in London, it's nearly all of them who take liberties with their own lives at my expense. There are a few who I respect, who wear high vis, helmets, and obey the highway code and don't take the p*** with weaving stupidly close to my paintwork. If there was SOME sort of system for registering and training them like car drivers then it might at least bring the number of idiot cyclists below 50%, which would be a start.

And no, I won't just calm down and get the tube. I should be allowed to drive through London without the constant fear of killing someone, and then having to get angry at them because they put their own life in danger. Still.. it makes me happy when the odd one gets too close to an angry white van man (who are usually pretty short tempered and hard nuts).. and THEN they think twice about cycling dangerously after those levels of abuse :yahoo:

Rant. Over.

*exhale*

Edit: leave Saxos alone! VTRs are awesome first cars as long as used sensibly! Performance (for a young driver) = winning, Economy = winning, parts = winning, mate's opinion at 17/18 = winning. Reliability after you've owned it for a year.. no comment :teeth:

The blissfully ignorant driver who will happily sit for 10 miles doing 36mph in a forty zone, then when entering a 30mph continue at exactly the same speed :angry:

On a similar note.....I drive 20 miles each day and the route consists of 60 mph roads and small villages with 30-40 limits; what gets me so MAD :angry: is these arrogant, unaware and dangerous motorists who drive at a constant 45 mph!

In the 60 zones they hold everyone up causing lengthy tailbacks and increase the possibility of 'dangerous or risky' overtaking, generally caused by the building frustration at not progressing at a reasonable speed; then as they approach the 40 or 30 zones they continue at the same speed without a care for the local residents, children or pets that maybe crossing the road at any point.

Why do they drive this way? Is it that they are just incompetent moron's? :rant:

Wow :surrender: Glad I am not a regular cyclist :lol:

What gets up my nose is when you let someone out on the motorway and they cannot be bothered to say thanks. Have to say that the nearer to London you get the more the problem grows. Main offenders are lorry drivers. It really gets on my t*ts (if I had a pair that is ;) )

The blissfully ignorant driver who will happily sit for 10 miles doing 36mph in a forty zone, then when entering a 30mph continue at exactly the same speed :angry:

On a similar note.....I drive 20 miles each day and the route consists of 60 mph roads and small villages with 30-40 limits; what gets me so MAD :angry: is these arrogant, unaware and dangerous motorists who drive at a constant 45 mph!

In the 60 zones they hold everyone up causing lengthy tailbacks and increase the possibility of 'dangerous or risky' overtaking, generally caused by the building frustration at not progressing at a reasonable speed; then as they approach the 40 or 30 zones they continue at the same speed without a care for the local residents, children or pets that maybe crossing the road at any point.

Why do they drive this way? Is it that they are just incompetent moron's? :rant:

+2

Right on!

Wow :surrender: Glad I am not a regular cyclist :lol:

What gets up my nose is when you let someone out on the motorway and they cannot be bothered to say thanks. Have to say that the nearer to London you get the more the problem grows. Main offenders are lorry drivers. It really gets on my t*ts (if I had a pair that is ;) )

I must admit 'Lorry drivers' to get a huge amount of critism (sometimes justified) and to be fair I would have complained about them myself a year ago.......for example, imagine the scenario when a truck pulls into the overtaking lane on a dual carriageway just as a hill appears and spends the next 4 miles attempting the overtake only to pull back in behind the other lorry with a failed overtake! :angry: Yes this is annoying.

This is frustrating I agree but I now work in the transport industry and recruit Class 1 LGV drivers on a daily basis.....I have learnt a massive amount during this time and I now do appreciate how difficult this profession can be. Now I am a little more lenient towards the LGV drivers on our roads and it has been even noted that I have flashed a lorry to move out to attempt such an overtake :scare: to the amazement of my wife!

[A recurring annoyance for me are groups of cyclists riding in clusters upto 3 side by side ] you forgot to add them having a chin wag at the same time completly oblivious to everything around them :lol: .

My biggest hate though is bikers with "THINK BIKE" tabards on overtaking me at well over the speed limit in stoooopid places..........and they wonder why they get sideswiped :bang:. One minute nobodys there and the second hes next to your wing mirror. :scare:

This thread about cyclists reminds me of a Scottish guy that is on YouTube. He films himself cycling about and going off his banger. Here are some examples - look him up - his name is magnatom and he has dozens of vids from his helmet cam. He is a helmet. There is even videos of him arguing with another guy whonsays he cycles - he cycles in what he calls the 'primary' position. This is the position that I know as the middle of the bloody road :lol:

It's just a shame that the ones who aren't as obedient to the rules of the road as him don't post up the videos of their mistakes. I wonder why... maybe I should set up a dashboard cam. But what good would it do? They don't have numberplates...

In the second video he did just seem to be holding up cars by cycling in pretty much the middle of the road wobbling either side of the line every now and then, and in the van video, as you say, he seems VERY far out from the parked cars.

I was reminded earlier of the ultimate annoyance....

The tosspot 'highway officers'!! They REALLY p1ss me off!!!!!! :rant:

"Ooooooo look Clive, there's someone on the hard shoulder with their hazard lights on! What should we do?"

"Good spotting Barry, let's close down the inside lane and cause a 5mile traffic jam and after that, we could park in the 'police lay-by' and pretend to be police!"

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Everyone managed fine before you bellends came along!! Can anyone give me a proper answer to why these guys exist?

For me, these idiots are up there with traffic wardens! T@@ts! :rant:

Hasn't the whole anti-cyclist issue been done before...obviously the biggest danger on the road is a 15kg pedal bike which rarely get above 20mph, let's ignore the 1.5ton, 4 meter long lumps of metal most of which can do 100mph been controlled by people who are usually fiddling the stereo, doing their hair, talking on the phone.

For the anti-cycling brigade:

How many of you actually cycle to work regularly?

How many of you have been hit by a car whilst cycling / on a motorbike?

How of many of you know friends who have been hospitalised by dangerous drivers (luckily none of them have died)?

I answer yes to all of the above, and to be honest it's sad to see colleges and friends give up commuting to work on a bike because the fear of been run over by an idiot driving a car!!

This thread about cyclists reminds me of a Scottish guy that is on YouTube. He films himself cycling about and going off his banger. Here are some examples - look him up - his name is magnatom and he has dozens of vids from his helmet cam. He is a helmet. There is even videos of him arguing with another guy whonsays he cycles - he cycles in what he calls the 'primary' position. This is the position that I know as the middle of the bloody road :lol:

First clip he didnt take the primary properly. If he had the van wouldnt have been able to overtake at all, he was just hovering "around" the middle of the road. Second clip - well only an idiot takes on twats in BMWs :lol: Really that traffic was moving too quickly for how he was moving around IMO. Third clip - he didnt look like he was even going to go around the rounderbout properly, if he had and gone a bit slower, the car would have cleared the rounderbout before he got there. IMO he is his own worst enemy. If he wasnt trying to enforce the "rules" so much and relaxed a bit more then might be able to just get to where he wants to go with a whole lot less stress :lol:

I was putting myself in the drivers position while watching the videos- I wouldnt have overtaken in the first one cos of the oncoming car but the cyclist was too far out, both at fault I'd say

2nd- like Chris says he was cycling in busy traffic as if he was driving a tank not riding a bike

3rd- he cut across the roundabout on the right not around the left like every other road user. He should be the one apologising. ****

These are all taken in Glasgow's west end where I now work. Il look out for a road raging cyclist with a helmet and point out his faults- keep ur eye on his YouTube channel ul hopefully see me soon :lol:

I wouldnt have overtaken in the first one cos of the oncoming car but the cyclist was too far out, both at fault I'd say

Actually given he didn't want anyone overtaking him, I'd say he needed to be further out. The point of taking primary position is to stop that kind of overtake so he should have been further over, I would have ;) (been further over, not overtaking!)

That guy doesn't look like the best example of a cyclist, let us know when you catch up with him so we can check YouTube :lol:

Another thing that annoys me is people on the motorway pulling out into my lane straight into the space I've left to try and keep a safe gap! (and I'm not talking as huge gap here either, probably a little less than the '2 chevrons' gap)

It only encourages people to bunch up like idiots - then you get the outside lane of the motorway coming to a halt because everyone is too close to the car in front and can't see more than 3 yards ahead, so no time to ease off the gas but instead have to hit the brakes!!

Another thing that annoys me is people on the motorway pulling out into my lane straight into the space I've left to try and keep a safe gap! (and I'm not talking as huge gap here either, probably a little less than the '2 chevrons' gap)

It only encourages people to bunch up like idiots - then you get the outside lane of the motorway coming to a halt because everyone is too close to the car in front and can't see more than 3 yards ahead, so no time to ease off the gas but instead have to hit the brakes!!

And then they accuse you of tailgating them, even though they've cut you up :angry:

When you overtake someone going really slowly and then they speed up when you're next to them!

How about people who enter motorways from slip roads at 40mph or so as though they had every right, causing everyone else to slow down and change lanes?

I thought the purpose of slip roads was to match, as near as possible the speed of the motorway traffic.

And incidentally, doesn't the dotted white line separating the motorway and slip road mean "give way"?

Hasn't the whole anti-cyclist issue been done before...obviously the biggest danger on the road is a 15kg pedal bike which rarely get above 20mph, let's ignore the 1.5ton, 4 meter long lumps of metal most of which can do 100mph been controlled by people who are usually fiddling the stereo, doing their hair, talking on the phone.

For the anti-cycling brigade:

How many of you actually cycle to work regularly?

How many of you have been hit by a car whilst cycling / on a motorbike?

How of many of you know friends who have been hospitalised by dangerous drivers (luckily none of them have died)?

I answer yes to all of the above, and to be honest it's sad to see colleges and friends give up commuting to work on a bike because the fear of been run over by an idiot driving a car!!

I am, or was a full on cyclist and can certainly entertain those points above. I actually recently sold my beloved carbon fiber race bike as I was fed up of cycling in and around London, but I have to say it was probably 75% other cyclists and 25% other cars as to the reason I stopped. I have cycled across France and done a fair amount in London over the years but its gotten stupid now.

I am sick of these amateur pelatons of mates all done up in their yellow jerseys and Sky Team tops who cycle side by side chatting and paying no attention to whats around them. The amount of times I had to take evasive action on my bike because of other cyclists on roads far outweigh the car incidents. I actually got abused by another cyclist when I stopped at a red light pedestrian crossing and he nearly cycled into me because he had no intention of stopping and turned to abuse me as he cycled through the red light.

I used to live in Paris, and cyclists obey the rules of the road like everyone else, cars respect that, here in the UK it is DISGUSTING the behaviour or the majority (and it is the vast majority) that choose not to stop at red lights, that don't give way to the right at mini roundabouts and seem to choose what rules to follow and what rules not to follow to fit their convenience.

I looked quickly at the second video in the links above, regardless of who's fault it is clearly this guy is out there to cause problems and catch it on video to make a point of it. I could have taken a camera outside the front of my old house in Putney, stood by a set of traffic lights and filmed a thousand cyclists a day cycling through red lights and swerving around pedestrians.

If we want cyclists and cars to get along we need to change the way the roads work. More cycle lanes. Cyclists must take a road proficiency and knowledge test. Cyclists have to stop breaking the law of the road. Drivers have to be more patient, but they need 'nudging' so plenty more signs on the road reminding them to look for cyclists and be prepared to slow. I think though there is more to change from a cyclists point of view than a drivers, people in cars don't want to hit cyclists.

What annoys me though - people carriers, suddenly they have become the worst tailgaters in the world and think they are in a formula 1 car.