Do you lust over the old Jap cars (Supra/RX-7 etc)

Rubber

Like most of you, I patrol Pistonheads a few times a week looking at cars that I would like to own, but never will. For me the Z is the right car to have now and within my money limitations I don't think there is anything else I would change it for right now. Yes, a Porsche Cayman would be nice but I don't think the extra money I would pay to get it would give me any more enjoyment than the Z. However, whenever I go on Pistonheads I find myself looking at the old Jap cars that I still lust over - the Supra, the RX-7 and more recently the Silvia. I don't know if this is a hang up from reading Max Power when I was younger but I still love these cars. I don't think I would fancy owning a 10 year car due as I would worry about rust, mechanical failure, expense of ownership...

This begs the question, what good Jap cars are out there right now? I started thinking about all the cars that I like (don't flame me for some of these - it is just my opinion!) and thought that there is nothing that really floats my boat now other than the Zed. The Skyline or GTR is the only line that has consistently been improving with time. Some of the other models seem to have been watered down

Nissan 370Z - Is it as good as the 350Z????? :wacko:

Mazda RX-7 (RX-8 is ok but not as cool as the RX-7)

Honda Civic Type R (EK9/EP3) - new Civic doesn't do it for me really and the Mugen version is £40k :scare:

Honda Integra Type R (DC2) - DC5 is replacement has mixed reviews...

GTR - better now than ever and always has been improving with each model (the oddball of the group)

Toyota Starlet (Glanza) - production ceased 1999 (pocket rocket!)

Toyota MR2 - production ceased 1999 (new shape MR2 production ceased in 2007 and was reviewed as a good car but didn't look great IMHO)

Mitsubishi FTO - production ceased 2000

Mitsubishi GTO - production ceased 2001

Honda Prelude - production ceased 2001

Nissan Silvia - production ceased 2002

Toyota Supra - production ceased 2002

Honda NSX - production ceased 2005 (yes it was very expensive, and still is!)

Celica GT4 - Celica production ceased 2006

Honda S2000 - production ceased 2009

I did have a Gen 7 Celica (VVTL-i version) that I loved but the rear wheel drive Zed is so much better. There may however be some controversy about some of the other front wheel drives such as the FTO and Prelude being nice cars!

Personally the Impreza and the Evo have never been on my wish list :dry:

So whats next? The FT-86 looks interesting but the CR-Z seems a little disappointing from the reviews. The running costs of the GTR seem too much for me even though the cost price of the cars is coming down. I have a love/hate affair with the 370Z. I think it needs to be modified to look good while the 350Z looks good just as it is (or better with a Nismo kit). FT-86 may have potential though...

What are you thoughts? Do you still crave the Supra and RX-7?!!!!!

Chris

I still regulalry toy with the idea of picking up an RX7 FD3. A boggo one with good compression will set back around £5k. Which isn't alot of cash for that kinda car.

£10k will get you a damn nice Supra or R33 GT-R. Again, hellishly tempting.

I think I will always love these cars, and I'm determined to own at least one of them one day soonish. But I dont think I could ever decide which one to pick.

FTO - FWD, underpowered, f**k ugly, and generally crap (spent 2 years looking after my ex's)

GTO's - Just crap.

Yes FTO is a bit crap, not ugly in my opinion but a good starter car.

GTO is a bit of a monster but the intention was there to create a cool car with active aero panel etc - unfortunately it just didn't work!!!

I will have to get myself an MR2 at some point, always loved them. :cloud9:

I'm also tempted by a GTO but only if I have enough cash to sort out the suspension and brakes properly as the stock options were shocking. :yuck:

Loved my bb4 prelude (the one that looked nice not the square ugly box lights one) and the engine was :teeth: but fwd can only take so much power, I wanted more and rwd thus 350z, but the supra has always been my dream car but as you said rust and time kill cars unless you find that one perfect car, 1;1000

OI!!!! I had a GTO and it was the best car I have ever owned, had twice the soul of anything else i've owned including the zed :boxing:

Had some amazing road trips with some brilliant memories.

8b86f3f9.jpg

19d9a44e.jpg

d5cfad08.jpg

f1261115.jpg

b8c6ca2e.jpg

I miss her :byebye:

Literally every one you've listed I've nursed a semi for at one point or another.

The RX7 in my book looks the coolest out of the lot but after owning an RX8 I'd rather sever, cook and eat my own testicles than drive a rotary car again.

I have considered getting shut of my Lancer and going old skool but people tend to warn about the fact that they are goodstyle money pits.

We have a supra TT... and it's by far the best car I've seen... solidly reliable, awsome build quality, great tuning potential. Will never sell...

I LOVE old jap cars. They have the appeal that the new ones just can't match. Perfect example is rx7 vs rx8....

There is still a racer in me buried somewhere that makes me want to have a Tommi Makinen Evo 6...the running costs though are terrifying :scare:

Service interval something like every 3k isn't it! :lol:

Yeah its insane, I looked into it all as I nearly bought one before the Z...then I remembered I was 36, married...etc

Searched for some piccies in Google - searched RX7 and within the first page I get RX7's, Audi Quattro rally car, a few FTO's, old Celica....good old google! :wacko:

Also found this.....looks like my parking

Mazda_RX7_Arbol-1.jpg

I'm not mechanically minded enough to own a RX-7 with all the work and rebuild stuff that goes with it!

What about the Supra though? Would it be a disappointment to get one now - would it handle as well as the Zed or should it just be left in the past as an icon? Would you be better of buying a well maintained (nicely modded Supra running reasonable power) rather than building a turbo Zed?

Chris

I'm not mechanically minded enough to own a RX-7 with all the work and rebuild stuff that goes with it!

What about the Supra though? Would it be a disappointment to get one now - would it handle as well as the Zed or should it just be left in the past as an icon? Would you be better of buying a well maintained (nicely modded Supra running reasonable power) rather than building a turbo Zed?

Chris

:snack:

Really considering this myself as it appears to be the most reliable out of the lot.

A late RX-7 is a pretty car, and I do like the look of an unmolested mkIV Supra. Mk2 MR2s have also passed the time test styling-wise, and blobeye Imprezas are great fun.

But lust after them? No ta. All have horrible interiors and technology has moved on so much that I wouldn't want anything that old any more. Most of them have been in the hands of the chav with terrible results, and nowadays the only old stuff I would want is from the 60's and 70's and was either made here or in Germany. In their time the Jap cars mentioned by the OP gave you more bang for your buck than their contemporaries, but in doing so they left a lot of the character behind. Probably not a popular view on a Jap car forum, but it's a view I've held pretty much since 2004 when I realised that Jap metal left me cold.

But lust after them? No ta. All have horrible interiors and technology has moved on so much that I wouldn't want anything that old any more.

That's what worries me - maybe they are best left in the past?

Chris

A late RX-7 is a pretty car, and I do like the look of an unmolested mkIV Supra. Mk2 MR2s have also passed the time test styling-wise, and blobeye Imprezas are great fun.

But lust after them? No ta. All have horrible interiors and technology has moved on so much that I wouldn't want anything that old any more. Most of them have been in the hands of the chav with terrible results, and nowadays the only old stuff I would want is from the 60's and 70's and was either made here or in Germany. In their time the Jap cars mentioned by the OP gave you more bang for your buck than their contemporaries, but in doing so they left a lot of the character behind. Probably not a popular view on a Jap car forum, but it's a view I've held pretty much since 2004 when I realised that Jap metal left me cold.

A datsun 240z leaves you cold, but many soulless cars from germany excite you? I'd say the 240z has bags more character than many cars from germany.

Incidentally I wouldn't want an RX7 or a Supra. NSX, 240z, heck yes I lust over them.

I love old school Japanese cars :D

I'd love a RX-7, it just looks a bit too tight in there for me to be comfortable :blush:

Right now I am wanting a PS13, soo expensive though compared to a S14 :thumbdown:

The only ones I really lust after though are the GTRs, I wouldn't have sold my Z for anything other than a GTR.

We have a Supra TT6 as well as the Zed and, yes she's a little dated inside but most Japanese interiors (even more recent ones) don't particularly live up to their exteriors. As with reliability and performance, since my boyfriend (mplavery) imported his Supra back in 2006 she's been an absolute dream (rushing to touch the closest bit of wood). She handles amazingly and never puts a foot wrong (more driver error than the car). He has also had two MR2 turbos and I know given the chance he would get another. I see more issues with newer cars than I do with older Japanese cars that have been looked after and well cared for and there are some stunning examples around both modded and standard.

Personally I do think the standard ones are looking a little dated but with a few tweeks here and there sometimes you would never guess that they are old cars.

Although he likes the 350z, he is always disappointed when he remembers it's and n/a and has no kick from the turbos, so would miss the Supra if he ever sold her :drive1

Personally (and yes I know she isn't standard and has plenty of mods) but I think she definitely holds her own against the Zed which is 9 years younger, and would actually say she's even more of a looker. You would never guess to look at her that she's 15 years old.

B)

PictureorVideo015.jpg

eng5.jpg

PictureorVideo067.jpg

Some of the interior has been sprayed too but I don't appear to have pics of that :doh:

She is actually Liquid Yellow but I have an appaulling camera phone, so apologies for picture quality :bangin:

user166_lpic4072_1253716693.jpg the last car 400/400 sprint car miss it badly

egyptphotos336.jpg Dougal shells GT4 was one of the best cars weve ever owned, reliable, handled well and was pretty good on track.

ca64fe46.jpg 2nd impreza we owned

CIMG1491.jpg The best car we have ever owned

CIMG0379.jpg first impreza what an eye opener

Cant find any digital pics of our MR2 and the FTO (only kept it for 2 months as it was awful).

Wanted a rex but never got round to getting one was always a bit worried about the reliability issues. The evo was awesome but cost me more than prob all the cars put together minus the sprint car to mod and run. IF id not got into jap cars im sure Id not have a mortgage now :blush: .

Shell always wanted a tt supra or gto but wouldnt get rid of dougal so it never happened.

Wish I could afford a R34 v-spec................one day :D .

I don't think I've ever agreed with a post more. haha. The only Jap cars I like are the proper classics, and the 350, 370 and GTR. Too many Jap tuner cars have turned into Chav mobiles. I appreciate their tuning potential (but I personally HATE bodykits and the stuff some people adorn them with!) and how cheap they are, but because of so many being 'done up' by Chavs, the normal person on the street views your average Jap car with disdain. Generally, it's only the chavs who would see a Skyline/Supra/MR2 etc and say 'look at dat sick whip bruv he's a G', nearly everyone else just looks at you and thinks 'idiot' when they hear your massive exhaust and see your purple spoiler.

I'm not that narrow minded to view those cars like that myself, but image DOES play a role in choosing a car for me, and I don't want people looking at my car and thinking that! The 2 modern Zs are sleek and are compared to Z4s, Caymans etc, and most people I know see them as a similar car (and forget the whole, cheap plastic Japanese part :p ) and because of the new GTRs reputation everyone sees it as a supercar. In the Z, and looking at the Z, I feel like I'm driving a nice GT car as opposed to a cheap Jap tuner car, which is what I feel when I look at most of the others :shrug:

Plus, I've spent time as a passenger in a GTO, Lancer 8, 9, and 10, RX7, an Impreza, GTR and drive a 350Z. The only two of those cars which had interiors that I could bare were the last two!

Didn't mean this post to annoy anyone by the way, just my opinion! I respect all of what you Jap lovers do to your cars! :teeth:

Stock Supras are SOOOO pretty on the outside though, but I just couldn't own one!