Mini Ice Age on it's way

JetSet

According to U.S scientists a mini Ice age looks to be on the cards within the next 10 years. It's all down to reduced activity in The Sun which apparently ties in with a similar period in the middle ages.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

Sadly, this summer is starting to look like being a non event (4 years on the run here) there's no sign of any settled weather until at least the first week of July, that's as far as the models go out to!!

Pete

Sounds ominous, but surely you mean the Sun. In the middle of a sentence using a caps like 'The Sun' could only mean the cheap newspaper. :p

Seriously though, the recent thread on grammar and spelling has unleashed the OCD in me. I need help or someone's going to bottle me. ;):lol:

And what will next week's headline be, maybe

"US scientists believe that there is a 1 in 10,000,000 chance that aliens will invade on July 4th".

Why can't these guys get a proper job and maybe do something useful for a change.

And what will next week's headline be, maybe

"US scientists believe that there is a 1 in 10,000,000 chance that aliens will invade on July 4th".

Why can't these guys get a proper job and maybe do something useful for a change.

I agree - getting paid for crystall ball gazing - looks like another 'U'-turn for the Government now on climate change :doh::lol:

It will never happen.

Well, let me rephrase that, it will never be allowed to be proven its happening, or happened. Even if we are skating on the Thames.

The ammount of money/taxes/finance/jobs/ecomomy now resting on the "fact" that human CO2 emmissions is whats controlling/increasing the temperature of the planet, dictates that any alternative simply cannot ever be allowed to be proven true. If it were, global financial chaos would ensue.

It will never happen.

Well, let me rephrase that, it will never be allowed to be proven its happening, or happened. Even if we are skating on the Thames.

The ammount of money/taxes/finance/jobs/ecomomy now resting on the "fact" that human CO2 emmissions is whats controlling/increasing the temperature of the planet, dictates that any alternative simply cannot ever be allowed to be proven true. If it were, global financial chaos would ensue.

just more proof that global warming is a pile of crap! and just another method of taxing people :dry:

Global warming doesn't mean we will just get warm. It means the unbalancing of the earths weather systems due to the changes going on in the atmosphere. People seem to have this image that it means we will have the weather of the south of france in scotland but it doesn't quite work like that.

here it is well summed up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... t.research

I don't even need to click that first link to know it's a load of crap. We get told a hundred different things every year about the future of our climate, and none of them remotely bear any resemblance to the others. I don't pretend to be a scientist and to have any meaningful level of comprehension about the global nature of weather, but I do know that by the time anything major happens I'll be long gone from this planet and it'll be someone else's problem.

That suits me fine.

The point I'm making is that its not man-made issue. It's just what the earth does. Yet we're sold it as a green issue. And we hqve to make huge changes, yet industry doesn't. And any co2 saving we make national gets gobbled up in 2 weeks by India.and China expanding.

Some info on the last time this happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

I've never given a lot of credence to the global warming theory. It really boils down to the sun and its output...sure, it only varies by fractions of 1% but the climate of the world is so delicately poised that even tiny amounts make a huge difference. The general feeling among climatologists is that we are living in a "warm" period, but these are usually short lived and "cold" is the norm for planet Earth. The main concern would be that melting ice sheets would alter ocean currents and The U.K would no longer be under the influence of the warm Atlantic current, without that, we'd be looking at a climate similar to Alaska :scare: . Little is known of the timeline of Ice Ages, but if the Gulf stream was disrupted it'd be pretty quick, last time it became disrupted was about 11,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

Pete

That suits me fine.

think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Dont have any children so couldnt car less :lol:

I dont think anyone on this site can even claim they do otherwise they'd stop driving their cars, stop having holidays, quit their jobs and go live in the woods. Saying that Jay has been quiet for a while - anyone seen him? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The point I'm making is that its not man-made issue. It's just what the earth does. Yet we're sold it as a green issue. And we hqve to make huge changes, yet industry doesn't. And any co2 saving we make national gets gobbled up in 2 weeks by India.and China expanding.

Not really fair about industry not changing, all of Europe have had to make huge changes to the way they pollute the planet by either doing it less or doing it more cleverly ;)

True about India and China though, especially the Chinese.

I don't even need to click that first link to know it's a load of crap. We get told a hundred different things every year about the future of our climate, and none of them remotely bear any resemblance to the others. I don't pretend to be a scientist and to have any meaningful level of comprehension about the global nature of weather, but I do know that by the time anything major happens I'll be long gone from this planet and it'll be someone else's problem.

That suits me fine.

LOVE YOUR MENTALITY MATE :thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It will never happen.

Couldnt agree more!!!

Governments have to control the masses (that you and me!) They use fear tactics to keep us all pointing in one direction i.e. away from current problems for example the financial problem we have today towards future problems or problems realistically we cannot do anything about. So far we have had religion. Then people had a more pragmatic approach to the wrath of god. So, then, world war, Communism, Terrorism etc, etc. It’s all smoke and mirrors. The world is an old and odd thing. It has its natural pitches and changes, to old and complicated for us to accurately predict anything for sure. Ice ages are a natural thing, as we have had many before now, we are also due a shift in magnetic polarity too - that should be fun!

Keep smiling, if life was fair, Elvis would be alive and the impersonators dead...

True about India and China though, especially the Chinese.

OI!

But yeah, it's all word spinning and protecting the rich and wealthy.

Remember the thing about fossil fuels runnig out, yet we still have airtravel, cargo ships, every petrol fuelled racing imaginable still going on.....