Audi TT to 350z........

manphibian

Wondering if there's anyone here who's made the transition from a mk1 TT 225 to a Z?

This is what i'll be doing (if i ever flog mine :dry:) so just wondering what those people thought?

I've been for a test drive in one, but you can never really drive how you want to, so do they feel quicker? My tt had a stage 1 remap, to around 250BHP, so was no slouch, but i'd really like the Z to feel faster than that.

Went to look at one yesterday, 2005 UK GT, 29,000miles, could get it for £9,500, which seems like a hell of a lot of car for the money :yahoo:

even though the 225 TT can do 0-60 in a similar time to the Zed, it soon runs out of puff once you get into 3 figures due to the relatively low gearing. Zed has a much more flexible top end, and you have other driving options than the TT's mandatory understeer. Don't expect your Audi interior levels though!

• 3 weeks later...

A turbocharged car will always feel like it has more oomph than an NA car, but it might not necessarily be faster. You need to use the revs on the Zed to make good progress, whereas on a TT you can rely on the torque much more.

I came from a remapped Cupra R (260bhp) with the same engine. Admittedly the LCR was supposedly a bit more sprightly than the TT due to less weight and no 4wd to sap power, but it *felt* considerably quicker than the Z when accelerating. To the point when I tested the Z I thought it was duff. Instant throttle response compared to the laggy turbo, but the thing felt like it wasn't going anywhere until 4k revs. Where in the LCR you got slapped by the torque at 2.5k. Of course though, it was fine. The Zee just gets it's power higher up the rev band and has much longer gearing.

The difference is almost like comparing a Tdi to a petrol...You do get a bit spoilt by turbo's in some respects.

The major benefit of a Zed over a TT is that the Zed won't feel like you have a vagina when you drive it :teeth::lol:

just because "Clarkson" says so - doesn't mean you have to :thumbdown:

I'm going from the TDi version to the zed

looking forward to - better accleration and overall handling fun :teeth: , not looking forward to virtually no boot space and frequent visits to Tesco 98 Ron :wacko:

i went from a 225 TT to my zed and at first i thought the TT was loads quicker in the bends but strait line the zed was awesome!!! especialy with the v6 grunt! but i was only 19 when i got my zed and it being rwd compared to 4wd took some getting use to, but now with more exsperience i would say its much quicker all round.

I used to drive my sister's 225 TT loads before I got the Z..

I, like most people above, found that the TT 'felt' faster at lower speeds, as soon as you get to 3000ish rpm there's that definite 'kick' that you never get in the Z. In gear acceleration feels faster in the TT because of that, because I think you sort of only remember the kick, and forget that for a few seconds the turbos were lagging and not actually doing anything. The Z is so much more linear you don't get that, but getting more and more used to the Z every day I can see that it is a lot faster than the old TT. The TT also feels faster because of the short gear ratios imo.

Mk1 TT boot space is phenomenal with the back seats folded down for such a little car as you will know, unfortunately you won't get as much in the Z. Fuel economy is much worse in the Z too. And the interior in the TT, especially the seats, are hundreds of times better than the Z. Although I love my Z's gauge pods!

Now, here's why none of that matters:

The Z is better looking by a country mile. It is such a beautiful car, that you hardly ever see. The shape, the lights, the wheels, the brakes, everything looks muscular and cool but at the same time sleek and pretty. TTs are pretty, and a revolution in design when they came out, but they have nothing on the Z. Also, people NEVER used to come up to me and say 'nice car mate' in the TT. And with the TT I used to see about 10 others just on a trip to the shops. The Z is special, some people dont even know what it is! 'Is it a Porsche?' 'Is that the new GTR?' Fools maybe, but it's nice for people to appreciate the car, no one bats an eyelid at a TT.

Then there's the noise. The noise in the Z is just beautiful. It sounds like a much faster car than it is, and again, draws glances and comments from passers by :yahoo:

The TT also isn't a proper sportscar. End of. And like most other competitors to the 350z, it will NEVER feel as special.

Awesome replies today :)

I went for my first proper test drive today, and i loved it :) So much smoother than the TT, true you don't get thrown back in the seat like you do with my remapped TT, but you get nicely eased back for what feels like forever, before you eventually change gear :D

Feels better than the sudden surge of power, which quickly drops off... makes my missus feel sick :lol:

Hi C.J ;)

The major benefit of a Zed over a TT is that the Zed won't feel like you have a vagina when you drive it :teeth::lol:

just because "Clarkson" says so - doesn't mean you have to :thumbdown: /quote]

I personally couldn't care less what that pubeheaded moron has to say about anything to be honest..........doesn't he also hate the Zed?

The TT is a birds car - fact...........lets experiment - type the following into Google and see what the first auto suggestion is "is the audi TT".........my case rests :dance:

I personally couldn't care less what that pubeheaded moron has to say about anything to be honest..........doesn't he also hate the Zed?

The TT is a birds car - fact...........lets experiment - type the following into Google and see what the first auto suggestion is "is the audi TT".........my case rests :dance:

Nothing 'birdy' about my TT. It's mint. Jerk :p

Nothing 'birdy' about my TT. It's mint. Jerk :p

Birds car :p

bpt-parade-big-bird0075.jpg

Each to their own at the end of the day - the Audi is a decent car but the Zeds quite clearly in a different league.

I will miss the interior, MPG and Turbo from the TT, but that's it.

I see the TT's boot space is 220L, while the 350Z is 235L. I understand the TT has the rear seat space too on top of that 220L, but the 350Z appears to have a larger boot?!

As long as I can fit my suitcase in, I'm happy. On pictures of loaded boots?

TT's are Golfs in a posh frock, Zed was designed to do what it does ;)

The boot is rubbish though TBH, the strutbrace gets in the way of putting anything sizeable in it :( I prefewr the 350 in pretty much every other aspect though :)

350z boot is quite spacious, just not in the usual sense of throwing normal suitcases in. You soon get used to packing it with soft bags that mould into the various spaces.

Dont get me started on the 370z boot with its "benefit" of the inverted brace under the floor - it actually makes less useable space than the 350z :rant:

The boot is rubbish though TBH, the strutbrace gets in the way of putting anything sizeable in it :( I prefewr the 350 in pretty much every other aspect though :)

350z boot is quite spacious, just not in the usual sense of throwing normal suitcases in. You soon get used to packing it with soft bags that mould into the various spaces.

Thanks for the replies. Can you give me an idea of a 'normal' suitcase that would fit? :headhurt:

I travel a few times of year, so taking a couple of suitcases to the airport is important for me.

E.g. a link to suitcases (and how many) you've put in the boot?

You wont get proper suitcases in the boot. We have a couple of wheelie holdalls like the one above but slightly smaller, they site side by side under the strut bar. I'll see if I can get the measurements of them later :thumbs:

EDIT: still sell em at Debenhams (we have black ones not this crazy color!). You can fit 2 side by side under the brace and behind a vertical tonneu cover.

Height: 65cm, Width: 31cm, Depth: 42cm

Capacity: 63 litres

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ekend+bags

you can fit quite alot in to be honest. If anyone seen my boot at the lakez meet the will be able to confirm. I managed to fit my missus big suitcase, 2 big bags of shoes and other stuff, my big hockey/sports bag, 2 cases of strongbow, case of stella, case of tennants, 2 bottles of jack, case of 15 coke cans, bottles of bacardi breezer(1litre ones) 2 bottles of fanta(2 litre) a box of fanta cans, bottles of lemonade, blackcurrant, bottle of vodka, a few pairs of my shoes and big bags of sweets and crisps.

It was tight but it all fitted it.