Trade in Ricey Lancer for a Z4 & give him the zed?

Carla

Caroline had a Z4 2.0L before the Zed. Not a bad car, did a steady 31 mpg on her daily commute and a trip up to Cheshire Oaks every so often. Never really enjoyed driving it myself, just couldn't get the seat into the right position. Maybe that's why we had to return it for a warranty job when the seat adjustment lever mechanisms fell apart (twice).

P1014412.jpg

Pete

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just couldn't warrant having x2 zeds on the drive

Sell the Lancer and the 350 and get a nice 370 roadster for Carla. :cloud9:

You could pick up, say an old MX5 for Ricey for about 1500 quid. :lol:

Just realised he's younger and taller than me. I'll get my coat............... :byebye:

The Z4 (NOT the convertible) is lovely...

The convertible is all wrong and common as hell... :yuck:

Just my tuppenth....

Agreed, it's a bit like the 350Z roadster, looks great with the top down :)

Pete

Agreed, it's a bit like the 350Z roadster, looks great with the top down :)

Pete

I think the Z4 looks bad even with the top down to be honest... the 350/370Z convertible look OK up or down...

but the Z4 Coupe looks SO SO nice!!!

Can I just be clear that this is my bloody car!!!!

I'm selling it to buy a new cheaper car (5-6k) and a nice banger (sub £750) to tinker with and train up my mechanical skills on.

Me and biscuit were talking about scratching the V8 itch (which there isn't a cream for) and maybe bagging up a Jag or Merc V8 for a year or so.

I've really enjoyed tinkering with the zed but what I would really like is a car I can leave on the drive untaxed and uninsured to learn how to do jobs on without a fear of breaking anything. If it eventually gets 'restored' to a decent standard then I can hopefully flog it on.

There are things that I will never learn how to do unless I have a crack.....for example I'd like to weld something at some point in my life - on a rusty old shed I can have a crack....if I **** it up then meh! So what, the cars only worth £500.

I was thinking of all sorts of combinations;

- Gas guzzling V8 for main car - 5 to 6k (XK8, Merc CL ETC)

- Older retro jap sports that I've always wanted to own (GTO, FTO ETC) for 3-5k.

- Newer nice cheap to run car (Alfa GT 1.9JTD with higher miles - 5-6k)

The only criteria for the main car is it has to be 'odd'......Biscuit knows what I'm talking about. Alfa's are 'odd'....everyone knows there are better options but Alfa's stir the soul, the Mondeo ST24 was a more practical car than the Cougar but the Cougar had some right character.

The banger is going to be something that is;

- older

- easyish to work on.

- potential for retro cool if I even got it to a reasonable standard.

- parts fairly readily available.

So I was thinking old MR2 or Celica.......I did even think about an MGB but I don't think with the best will in the world I've got the skills for that!

The problem is all of those options have the potential to be money pits!

That said.......................................its my car so mitts off! :boxing:

we all know that carla will get her z4 and you'll be lumped with the z B);)

I like your idea, I think you should go for something easy to work on, so older with less electronics jumbo and something that doesn't get problems (historical) with electrics, I wouldn't personally touch an old alfa for quality reasons. I'd always wanted an old V8 guzzler with stupid engine volume and crazy handling B)

something like this:

chevrolet_camaro_ss_04.jpg

Why not get an old Z to work on?

this?:

image011.jpg

GT4 Celica would be nice to have but looks a bit 'dated'? MR2 looks like a nice toy car but unless you own a hairdryer I wouldn't get one :lol:

...The only criteria for the main car is it has to be 'odd'......Biscuit knows what I'm talking about. Alfa's are 'odd'....everyone knows there are better options but Alfa's stir the soul, the Mondeo ST24 was a more practical car than the Cougar but the Cougar had some right character...

I know exactly where you're coming from when you say the main car has to be 'odd'. When I sell my zed I'm going to get something cheaper and more practical whilst I buy a house (and save up for a Caterham :blush: ) and I've been saying for a while now that the car has to be 'interesting'. A Volvo V70R keeps coming back to the top of list and most people think I'm crazy for wanting an old Volvo but for me it has that 'odd' or 'interesting' trait I'm after.

Great idea anders but I dont think I'll pick one of them up for less than a grand - plus I wouldn't want to hurt it.......the idea of a cheap car is one that I won't care if I accidentally drop a spanner into the cylinder head etc. Basically if I perform a 'Ricey' on it.

Personally I think Z4's are a fricking soulless awful sack of Germanic turd but each to their own I guess.

the old Mk1 MR2 can be had for cheap money these days and they will be fairly east to work on, not only that if you **** it up you can dismantle it and sell it for spares. my mate did this bought an old banged up MR2 mk1 for pennies and then stripped it for parts, if i remember rightly he made more money on it in bits than he spent buying it. :lol: Ekona knows the bloke and more of the details. but that thing was a skeleton on axle stands in about 2 weeks :lol:

it will give you lots of welding to do, you can practice painting it, and as a bonus it has a targa top for the hot weather and its great fub to chuck around. and parts are fairly cheap.

as for other alternatives, the old mini is awesome to work on and parts are mentally cheap, just look in the back of a mini mag, stage 3 tuning is like £200 exhausts are less than £100, you can get hole new panels, for about £50 the engine has nothing to it. so dead easy to start on, and if you get good and then bored, you can even drop something like a bike engine or a type R engine in. near enough no electrics on it. you could buy a complete shell and build it up from scratch.

Great idea anders but I dont think I'll pick one of them up for less than a grand - plus I wouldn't want to hurt it.......the idea of a cheap car is one that I won't care if I accidentally drop a spanner into the cylinder head etc. Basically if I perform a 'Ricey' on it.

Personally I think Z4's are a fricking soulless awful sack of Germanic turd but each to their own I guess.

found a cheapo z on fleebay there, for the ss camaro... well it was about 15 years ago since I looked... :teeth: seem to have increased by a 0 in price since then :lol:

Mini sounds like an easy plan, not sure it's special enough though. what about a cool old beetle?

what about this for a project?

http://www.hotrodgarage.net/75nova712.html

lol, welding practice = check, engine cleanup = check, keep the seat though :lol:

• 5 months later...
It's been 6 months on since this post....... Paul has sold the Lancer and is currently out viewing a Z4 (for himself though)

Wonder if he buys it? things always work out in the end :p

watch this space..... :teeth:

Just keep telling him the Z4 is a bit of a girls car... job done :lol:

Looking forward to the next update :teeth: ....... hopefully it won't be in 6 months :lol: