Do u judje peeple by there speling?

Husky

Just avoiding the philosophical discussion going on - but answering the thread title...no never - in this 'virtual' world you don't know if someone is actually dislexic or just lazy or plain ignorant so no I don't 'judge' people based on their spelling or use of grammar.

I feel bad that I do judge, I never used to, but over time I guess I have picked up this bad habit. Although actual spelling problems come across differently to laziness I think...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I type full words, even in a text. And it takes me no longer, therefore there is no actual need or 'txt spk', even laziness is just an excuse.

One that I've seen on this site recently that has boiled my **** has been:

"What do use think of the price of this zed?"

Use?????????????? :scare::surrender::wacko:

I refer peeps to this earlier thread which is firmly ensconced in the Green Room

In the interests of peace and harmony within the community, I have decided to move this topic to the SKIP before the mods do

Please post your examples below with evidence of who made the error and on which thread and I will update the list as and when necessary.

Please note:

Duplicated or very similar 'mistakes' will not make it onto the list

Anyone can appeal if they think a post in unwarranted

PLEASE DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE LIST EACH TIME YOU POST AS WE USED TO DO

Thanks for your interest, good luck and happy posting

1 Brought :angry: Bought :)

2 Curb :angry: Kerb :)

3 There :angry: Their :)

4 nxt :angry: next :)

5 kewl :angry: cool :)

6 Magasine :angry: Magazine :)

7 Threw :angry: Through :)

8 nuceler :angry: nuclear :)

9 body work :angry: bodywork :)

10 Wot :angry: What :)

11 ne :angry: Any :)

12. b4 :angry: before :)

13.bcos :angry: because :)

14 ". " :angry: ". " :)

15 Pacificly :angry: Specifically :)

16 your :angry: you're :)

17 Freind :angry: Friend :)

18 Neccessary :angry: Necessary :)

19 should of :angry: should have :)

20 cnt :angry: can't :)

21 grammer :angry: grammar :)

22 what so ever :angry: whatsoever :)

23 seen has :angry: seeing as :)

24 Wi :angry: With :)

25 to slow :angry: too slow :)

26 definately :angry: definitely :)

27 Shirley :angry: Surely :)

28 tripple :angry: triple :)

29 As :angry: has :) (sorry Beavis)

30 moniter :angry: monitor :)

31 crewl :angry: cruel :)

32 else where :angry: elsewhere :) (sorry biscuit)

33. greeeeeaaaat :angry: great :)

34. tard :angry: person of limited mental ability :) - retard is something you do to the ignition ;)

35. Cud :angry: Could :)

36 warrent :angry: warrant :)

37 "..............." :angry: "..." or ". . ." :)

38 different to :angry: different from :)

39 similar as :angry: similar to :)

40 Quite :angry: Quiet :)

41 less :angry: fewer :)

42 Xmas :angry: Christmas :)

43 Dint :angry: Dent :)

44 Am :angry: I'm :)

45 Accomadation :angry: Accomodation :angry: Accommadation :angry: Accomidation :angry: Acomodation :angry: ACCOMMODATION! :)

46 driblel :angry: dribble :)

47 headin :angry: heading :)

48 stationary :angry: stationery :)

49 stationery :angry: stationary :)

50 knightmare :angry: nightmare :)

51 imbedd :angry: embed :) (sorry biscuit)

52 calander :angry: calendar :)

53 piller :angry: pillar :) pillow :)

54 intitled :angry: entitled :)

55 attakz :angry: attacks :);)

56 what ever :angry: whatever :)

57 gynacologist :angry: gyneacologist :)

58 convertable :angry: roadster :)

59 xcelent :angry: excellent :) NO on purpose bad spelling allowed :p

60 Huskey :angry: :angry: HUSKY :)

61 attakz :angry: ATTAK Z :)

62 god :angry: God :) (capital G please biscuit, as in ATTAK above) ;)

63 rediculous :angry: ridiculous :) (sorry Husky .. LoL)

64 where :angry: we're :)

65 dissapointment :angry: disappointment :)

66 intense :angry: intents :)

67 NJOY :angry: enjoy :)

68 to :angry: too :) (in addition, aswell )

69 too :angry: to :)

70 two :angry: too :)

70 repeat again :angry: repeat :)

71 corrie :angry: corra :)

72 less :angry: fewer :)

73 drove :angry: driven :) (from a trader)

74 thor :angry: thaw :) (stuRs stand up!)

75 pruff :angry: proof :)

76 staggard :angry: staggered :)

77 grill :angry: grille :) <----ATTAK

78 Mite :angry: Might :)

79 Wierdo :angry: Weirdo :)

80 dic :angry: dictionary :) NIX :p

81 invite :angry: invitation :)

82 suttle :angry: Subtle :)

83 you're :angry: your :) back in due to pressure from Proletariat

84 double d-clutching :angry: double de-clutching :)

85 toe eye :angry: tow eye :) (Attakz let me know if you really did want to be hauled away by your big toe! :lol: )

86 Hydrolics :angry: Hydraulics :)

87 intreeged :angry: intrigued :) (sketch, bad boy :thumbdown: )

88. carverys :angry: carveries :) everybody got this wrong for the Wales trip :lol:

89.excellant :angry: excellent :) (sent in by one of our regular viewers by PM)

90.carbon fiber :angry: carbon fibre :) (sent in by another of our regular viewers by PM)

91. route :angry: root :) (of all evil)

92. were :angry: we're :)

see, its not really that people spell badly, or use poor grammar or anything else. It's the fact that I think I have started to judge people from this, that's what I'm getting at. It's wrong, I know it is, but i just can't help it.

PS: Sarnie, that's spot on what I'm talking about.

Part of the problem is the shocking grammar used on popular TV shows, "I don't know nothing" and the general use of double negatives can be heard on most of the soaps, especially EastEnders, it's little wonder that standards have slumped over recent years.

Pete

I have no problem with the odd typo, as that's an innocent mistake. What does bug me, especially on forums and FB where text space is not limited, is that people seem to think it's okay to write like they're 6 years old and using a mobile phone for the first time. FFS, you've got a whole keyboard in front of you, so there's no need to drop the vowels to make a word shorter! In all honesty there's no excuse for bad spelling either unless you're in a desperate rush, as all browsers now can now be enabled with a built in spell checker which quickly picks up any errors. Or there's even Google if you really get stuck on a word.

So yes, I judge people, and I'm fairly comfortable in doing so. Not sure if that makes me a bad person or not. :shrug:

Nope it I don't judge ppl on spelling or text speak to a certain extent, its a forum not an english exam. Ali g talk does my head in tho

Ekona if dropping vowels annoys u so much why abbreviate facebook and for f***s sake? :bangin::lol:

Part of the problem is the shocking grammar used on popular TV shows, "I don't know nothing" and the general use of double negatives can be heard on most of the soaps, especially EastEnders, it's little wonder that standards have slumped over recent years.

Pete

Totally agree with Pete and with Husky on this. My view is that kids/younger adults have spent too much time with Xfactor/Britain Needs Talent/Soap Idol shows. Time spent in real life might be better, but then again I'm knocking on 40 now, so maybe I'm an old fart too.

I suggest they read Ben Elton's Blind Faith and realise that we are standing on a brink of a nightmare. Seriously scary book showing how humanity be so advanced, but can end up knowing so little.

Bradders

Absolutely, I judge people for poor spelling. Bad grammer (kidding :wacko: ) probably annoys me even more.

Having said that I know I'm a pompous arse that should be glassed............ :lol:

P.S It is just us all getting old and being penickety. Language is continuing to evolve. We don't write in the same way William Shakespeare did and that's really no different than whats happening with text speak. Sure good 'ol Billy Shake got driven mental by young upstarts writing as we do now. ;):lol:

Some words for all of you to cogitate and digest:

Pedant

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of their learning.

Humourless

Lacking a sense of humour

Laissez-faire

The phrase laissez-faire is French and literally means "let do", but it broadly implies "let it be", or "leave it alone."

Midlife crisis

Midlife crisis is a term coined in 1965 by Elliott Jaques and used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" or middle age of life, as a result of sensing the passing of their own youth and the imminence of their old age.

Some words for all of you to cogitate and digest:

Pedant

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of their learning.

Humourless

Lacking a sense of humour

Laissez-faire

The phrase laissez-faire is French and literally means "let do", but it broadly implies "let it be", or "leave it alone."

Midlife crisis

Midlife crisis is a term coined in 1965 by Elliott Jaques and used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" or middle age of life, as a result of sensing the passing of their own youth and the imminence of their old age.

I prefer these:

Correct

Accuracy

Pride

Probably, as not everyone is academic and or literate. Then you have to consider age, as with txtspk, that's the language of the young now, or at least it's becoming their written "speak".

Having written reports and documents for years in a military environment, JSP 101 was my bible (those in the military will recognise this document), where if there wasn't two spaces after a full stop or a space after a comma, would drive me into purple, perplexed maniac when red penning reports and documents :lol: .

Paragraphs that are too large drive me bonkers as well. Paragraphs should just be two or three well constructed and legible sentences and no more. More in a paragraph just makes me "scan" read and not take anything in.

Then there is paragraph numbering and lettering........................................................I could go on, but in conclusion, just because spelling and grammar are bad, doesn't mean the writer is a twit, just not as adept at the written word.

You're just getting old, old chap :lol:

That was a blast from the past I remember the JSP 385 always loved "Army, Navy, Air Force (delete where applicable)" :thumbs:

My favourite for bad grammar and the like has to be the emails I get supposedly from my bank telling me that -

"For your security, we have temporary suspended you account"

Now I'm not going to bank with you if that is the best you can manage!

Pete

Totally agree with Pete and with Husky on this. My view is that kids/younger adults have spent too much time with Xfactor/Britain Needs Talent/Soap Idol shows. Time spent in real life might be better, but then again I'm knocking on 40 now, so maybe I'm an old fart too.

I suggest they read Ben Elton's Blind Faith and realise that we are standing on a brink of a nightmare. Seriously scary book showing how humanity be so advanced, but can end up knowing so little.

Bradders

nothing to do with being an old fart, I'm 25 (going on 35)

I can't stand text speak I can understand why in the early days you had to squeeze as much as you could in for 10p but now that almost everyone gets unlimited messages what is the point?

If you can't say what you want to in a few words then try calling the person :doh:

Oh and I never judge a book by it's cover Husky, or I would have run screaming from your place and made do with my orange interior lights.... let's just say I REALLY wanted the LED's ;)