forum crash

Husky

Just to let those people that think nothing is being done to combat this know, the thread in the team area for this issue is longer than this one and it's full of geek speak and code too.....

:)

Tell me about it - pages and pages of stuff and no idea what any of it means :lol:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All seems to be fine :D I've had a few slowdowns but it never fails to load :)

I have had a few times a problem when clicking the "View unread posts" tab, It shows me a message saying that I am unable to use the search function at this time - If I press it again afterwards then it works :shrug:

Just to let those people that think nothing is being done to combat this know, the thread in the team area for this issue is longer than this one and it's full of geek speak and code too.....

:)

Tell me about it - pages and pages of stuff and no idea what any of it means :lol:

Yeah..... Me either. The difference is though, we know the name of the teams lap dancers and bar staff off by heart and Chris`I (ubergeek extraordinaire) has never even visited the 350Z-uk Team Gentlemans Club!

I have had a few times a problem when clicking the "View unread posts" tab, It shows me a message saying that I am unable to use the search function at this time - If I press it again afterwards then it works :shrug:

Not sure what thats all about, the changes we've made shouldnt effect the way the forum functions, but we have had reports of this happening. Keep an eye on it and if it happens frequently from the same computer with the same browser then let us know. The changes did mess around with the sessions held on the server. It may be that the session store on your PC in the cookie doesnt match the server any more so you need to start a new session before it will let you search. If thats the case it should only happen once per computer/browser combo.

Dont get time to go to the club, sodding people on here moaning its not quick enough/stable enough or something :shrug::(

Oh do share, love some geek stuff :lol:

Know much about mySQL and myISAM or InnoDB variables? :disguise:

Will do after 5 minute of googling :D

But that will only put you on a par with us - we want help from someone who knows what they are doing! :lol:

Oh do share, love some geek stuff :lol:

Know much about mySQL and myISAM or InnoDB variables? :disguise:

Will do after 5 minute of googling :D

But that will only put you on a par with us - we want help from someone who knows what they are doing! :lol:

it's not what you know it's who you know :D Got a few friends in the DBA field...

Not sure what thats all about, the changes we've made shouldnt effect the way the forum functions, but we have had reports of this happening. Keep an eye on it and if it happens frequently from the same computer with the same browser then let us know. The changes did mess around with the sessions held on the server. It may be that the session store on your PC in the cookie doesnt match the server any more so you need to start a new session before it will let you search. If thats the case it should only happen once per computer/browser combo.

Dont get time to go to the club, sodding people on here moaning its not quick enough/stable enough or something :shrug::(

I'll keep an eye on it :thumbs:

When will chat be back :shrug:

Once we have had a few days of the forum being stable, and we can see the lockups are no longer taking place, we can switch the chat back on - but the way this interacts with the forum itself has been hilighted as one of the pottential reasons for the problems. So it may have to be switched off again for further investigation.

it's not what you know it's who you know :D Got a few friends in the DBA field...

I know plenty of DBAs from my old work places, working on very large DB's but they are all experts in the wrong software - Oracle, DB2, Teradata, Netezza etc. Its finding someone that knows mySQL well that is hard :p Even on the phpBB forums they wont answer questions on how to tune mySQL for phpBB itself, its like getting blood from a stone :bang:

As Chris has said, chat may or may not be back permenantly. It uses the DB for some stuff and may be causing the server to become overloaded. We need to work out if its a badly coded mod which will always kill the DB or if it ok as a mod put a bit too much load on the DB highlighting the problems. Small but significant difference.

Might be a good idea to break out the chat from interactions with the forum itself? (just need to setup a new user etc)

If it were that simple we'd do it ;) Remember we havent coded any of this from scratch, phpBB itself is prebundled software, the chat mod is a mod to that software. Unfortunately we're not going to go in and hack it all apart to make it work for what is essentially a feature used by the minority. If the forum proves stable after the current changes (looks that way) we will bring back chat and see if that brings back any issues. If it does I'm afraid it will get removed ;)

It can be set not to link into the forum and be stand alone, but it would still run on the same database, just using different tables. It could be set to use its own individual database, but then its still running on the same server and using the same MySQL engine, so probably wouldn't make any difference.

Though having said that, if it doesnt link in with the forum and people need to register another username for the chat etc, then there may not be that much point in having it - people may as well use facebook or some other form of instant messenger if its not going to be linked into the forum.

Lets see how the recent changes go and we can look at bringing chat back in a short while.

We made another change yesterday evening too which should have made things a little quicker.

Can people let us know how the site is performing for them over the next few days - especially around the times that drop outs were occuring. Is it faster now, is it dropping out at all at any time - the more info the better :thumbs:

Afternoon campers - anything to report? Site has been super speedy for me, but I'm privillaged at home to have low contention 40MB connection and ~80MB at work, so its a slightly bias view :lol:

Have you guys tried using innotop to find what's creating the locks?

InnoDB has removed the locking problem. I've currently got a copy of MONyog at home waiting to be tested, this should help us itentify any problems from now on :thumbs:

been great thanks :)

the message ian refers to i beleive appears to be a flood control from a number of searches I'd guess at 3 being done in less than say, 5 seconds?

I have had a few times a problem when clicking the "View unread posts" tab, It shows me a message saying that I am unable to use the search function at this time - If I press it again afterwards then it works

Ah good man, you are most likely right, I will go check the settings. I think the team are exempt from those measures so would be why I cant ever recreate it :doh:

EDIT: That is most likely it, registered users can only search once every 5 seconds. I've lowered it to 3 seconds, I think that should be enough tbh ;)

Ah good man, you are most likely right, I will go check the settings. I think the team are exempt from those measures so would be why I cant ever recreate it :doh:

if it prevents loading on the database from multiple clicks (unintentional or otherwise) then i guess it's a good thing. It's no where near as intrusive as other forums and goes away after a few seconds unlike the dreaded "wait 10hours before clicking again" you get in other places.

EDIT: That is most likely it, registered users can only search once every 5 seconds. I've lowered it to 3 seconds, I think that should be enough tbh ;)

I can't seem to recreate the fault anymore either :lol:

It definatley wasnt me being a tard & clicking too mcuh :blush: