Looking to get into a Zed...

Hey guys,

I'm Matt, from nr Oxford and currently making plans to get into a Zed in the near future. I did have a Focus ST until a huge commute forced me to chop it in for a Renaultsport Megane 175 (the sports diesel) which is what I'm currently running. I've since got my dream job locally, and no longer have that commute and so can now afford to run something a little more fun! Don't get me wrong though - the RS is a good car as far as practicality and fun go (when it comes to a diesel) - I never thought I'd say that, but I was surprised!

I'm actually on a secondment in Melbourne 'down under' until June so I'm in no rush, but before I left to come out here, I had a chance to drive a few cars, but settled on the 350 for both my price bracket (8 - 10k) and for the overall 'package'.

S2000 - I genuinely felt uncomfy - I'm 6'2" and the wheel was jabbing my knees when changing gears.

RX8 - I did try an RX... despite a friends recommendation against one due to his own problems, it was nice but just didn't spark anything

350Z - loved it from the moment I sat in it - felt more spacious, would feel happier on a longer distance drive and better as a daily driver (due to the torque)

One thing I didn't really get to think about though was the practicality. I have no requirement for a huge boot or storage space, I've no family to worry about, but I did just wonder how others find the boot space as a daily drive? Could you fit a few bags of shopping on the shelf? No hard braking though if there isn't the divider panel... or that could end in tears! It's certainly not a deciding factor in my buying a Zed (besides I rarely carry passengers so there is always a bit of room on the passenger side ;) )

I'm hoping my Megane sells with my parents while I'm away in Oz, and I've had a few offers around £8.5k which is brilliant - do you think a good example of a Zed can be picked up for around this sort of money?

Might as well throw up a pic of the old ST and my current Megane...

st3.jpg

1.jpg

Welcome to the club :D

I would think you should get a decent early zed for your budget, its very much a buyers market at the moment. There is no problem getting two or three big bags of shopping in the back at all - so no need to worry there :)

That was about my budget, you can sneak an 04 plate GT for that much although most options will be silver or orange.

If you got the time to hang around you will get the odd black or gun metal one turn up, definintely hang in there for the GT version though as I saw the non GT versions sitting on websites for sale for weeks and weeks.

Welcome :wave: good luck hunting.

Don't worry about the boot,you can get in 3 or 4 trays of beerin it. :thumbs:

There is a picture in one of the threads on here.(or in my case 90 kilo of dog food)

Enjoy Oz.

Happy days - thanks for the warm welcomes guys! :thumbs:

Looks like I could setup a stylish courier business with a boot full of boxes like that... :lol:

Ha Ha ... would be an expensive service :D

As long as you pack the "wide and lowish" parcels at the back of the boot.... (so the booth shuts)

The slightly taller but thinner ones UNDER the strut brace... (surprising how much stuff fits under it)

Then everything else you can't fit there between the strut brace and the rear glovebox/bass speaker.....

Lots fits in. And there is also extra space in the glovebox behind the passenger seat. :D

Good choice on car! To be honest, I hadnt even considered getting a 350 when I was recently looking for my next car. Then, I saw one in a garage, sat in it and was "wow" this just "feels" right. I then took one for a spin and immediately it went from being off my list to being at the top! Less than 1 week later id bought one.

As for daily practicality, well, I use mine every day. I commute about 90miles a day for my job. Ive the roadster, so my boot is probably about 1/3rd of the size of the coupe. I dont have any probs with it so far. All my daily stuff can fit in the boot. If I hit the local supermarket for the weekly shop then that will fit in the boot and in the passenger foot well.

Only time I can forsee problems is when I need to get some DIY stuff from b&q or the garden centre, in which case i`ll have to pinch the missus`s car.

Other aspects for a daily runner will be the road tax - £450(ish) a year, petrol - 26mpg for me atm, tyres - £500(ish) a set, insurance (pretty high!). I came from a Golf GT TDi which was costing me road tax - £250, diesel - 58mpg, tyres - £60 a full set.

Tax is £245 a year for pre 06 cars...nice little bonus.

My fuel economy started at about 16mpg, then I learned to change gear before hitting the redline ;) Its now up to 23mpg including that 16 odd I was doing at first so probably about 26mpg driven sensibly.

Insurance, well depends Im 'older', male, living in trendy part of london, car parked on the street, my insurance is only £120 a year more than the 1.8 Astra I had which is ridiculous.

I got the boot divider in mine, works really well, got three large sports bags in there at the weekend, then threw various other bits in the space in front of the divider (jackets etc). Oh and of course you get a great set of cubby holes behind the seats for odds and sods, loads of cubby holes in the car actually.

Hello and welcome,

My Zed has the diagram that shows how to put TWO golf bags in the back ;)

I picked up a FSH 06 UK GM Zed for a bit over your budget (not GT) so you should find what you're looking for, Good Luck

Enjoy! :thumbs:

welcome.

Hit the for sale section when you get back. Lots in there.

I have mine in there too, not rushing to sell, in fact June would be perfect as my Insurance runs out then ;)

53 (2004) Gunmetal GT with Alezan Leather, Optional Extra Sat Nav, Optional Extra Parking Sensors, Coil overs and BuddyClub Exhaust.

:thumbs: Thumbs up for the welcome guys! Much appreciated!

I currently work for an aviation training company (www.oaa.com) in their Group Marketing / Design function - we've bases all round the world but the one in Melbourne is pretty new and they sent me out here to get all the core marketng materials produced and do the photography, filming etc for the base out here.

Must admit, I can't complain - great company to work for and the opportunity was to good to pass up! Just means I've to wait until I get back to the UK to get myself into a Zed... it's killing me!